California Restart Thread - Panorama Departing 8/21/21

Wanna_Cruize

2 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Thanks, we'll definitely be checking out the Heroes Tribute bar. I love the fact that Carnival does the Armed Forces Salute, it's really well done. I'm hoping Pig & Anchor is open for lunch on embarkation, but if not we'll probably try out JiJis. We've done Guys Burger many times, and will probably avoid Lido deck until after SailAway. 

Pig 🐖 & anchor ️Is open for lunch on embarkation day… well, prepandemic it was 

10 minutes ago, bdever said:

Pig 🐖 & anchor ️Is open for lunch on embarkation day… well, prepandemic it was 

Great, I'm hoping so, since it is close to our cabin anyway. I plan to just drop our bags in the cabin & go there directly. 

I love doing this, as it helps keep me organized anyway. If I put all my links here, I can find them when I need to refer to them again. I'm an over-planner, and pick up bits and pieces here and there. I've also talked friends and family into joining us on our next two cruises on Panorama, so I have to get prepped for my quasi-cruise director role for them. 

4 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Great, I'm hoping so, since it is close to our cabin anyway. I plan to just drop our bags in the cabin & go there directly. 

I love doing this, as it helps keep me organized anyway. If I put all my links here, I can find them when I need to refer to them again. I'm an over-planner, and pick up bits and pieces here and there. I've also talked friends and family into joining us on our next two cruises on Panorama, so I have to get prepped for my quasi-cruise director role for them. 

That’s exactly what I did on my 12/28/19 sailing in Cabana 5238, dropped of the carry on as soon as I boarded, got a drink from the Havana Bar then went to Pig & Anchor. I hope 🤞 you are allowed to do the same. Keep us posted.

1 hour ago, bdever said:

Wanna_Cruize, I just want to thank you for all of the valuable information you have provided. The time and effort you took is extremely appreciated. 

You are welcome dear. As far as my experience goes, this community is one of the most friendly communities out there. I am glad being a part of cruise critic and I always try to do my best to help people find answers to their questions. 

• Like 1

I'm following as well.  This will be our first west coast cruise, and the last time we were on Carnival it was on the Sunshine, which we didn't care for.  We're excited to sail on the Panorama.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, candigirl41 said:

Thank you for all your great information.  I am sailing August 28th.  I will also be following along.

Candi

Are you seeing the crazy good VIFP prices for this cruise as well with your booking? $200 for insides and like $360 for balconies as well? 

My DH gets much better offers than I do. He got the $200 inside with $200 OBC and we were able to book 2 cruises on it. Hard NOT to make a reservation at that price. However, my sister who only has cruised a couple of times has the Cheers RU1 deal still available to her after booking her on two of our upcoming cruises. It's so random. 

I'd like to contribute a few words about the elevators on Panorama. There are no buttons inside the cab. On occasion the vertical transport can be busier than a Congo gorilla reserve on free banana night. You must select the desired floor on a touch screen next to the elevator door. The screen will react with an alphabetic character of the assigned cab to your destination. Now a tip is to touch the screen for each member in your party. This will allow the dispatch computer to plan the stops for the number of passengers. No one likes to have the doors open with room for two, and a party of seven rushes in. You will feel like sardines, without benefit of olive oil. While waiting stand to the side of your assigned elevator doors, and when they open, please allow those inside to wishing alight before filing in. Chivalry should be observed allowing ladies first, and allow an extra moment for the infirm on or off. 

Edited by Moviela
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips, I know the elevators are going to take some getting used to. The entire ship, in fact, since our last half-dozen cruises have been on Inspiration. 😿 We LOVED Inspiration and Imagination. They had the BEST crew, and we've known many of them for years. 

• Like 1

Based on some chatter in a thread about price drops on Horizon, I just did a mock booking for our cruise on the 21st, and a Havana Cabana cabin is available for $120 less than our current reservation. I put the cabin on hold (24 hr) and sent the link to my PVP. I checked my current cabin confirmation and I did originally book Early Saver, so I'm hoping for the $120 in OBC, since I've already paid in full. If anyone else is onboard and booked Early Saver, might want to check. Final Payments had been pushed to the 21st, so I guess they are filling the spots that canceled. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Are you seeing the crazy good VIFP prices for this cruise as well with your booking? $200 for insides and like $360 for balconies as well? 

Yes my friend booked us 200 each and 169 for my daughter as the 3rd person.  She is so excited.

Candi

Well, I noticed that my brother had a screaming deal in his VIFP offers for a Last Minute cruise deal. He was able to book this same cruise for $200 per person for an inside cabin. Crazy good deal. I think they are just trying to fill it up to whatever capacity they want to run at for this first cruise, so probably just filling up the cabins that had a last-minute cancellation. 

I'm imagining that we are going to be able to go right to our cabins and drop off our luggage, since they cabin stewards have a couple of days to get the cabins ready for this first trip.

I had sent my passport renewal paperwork off in late May, since it expires in November. The check I sent just cleared the bank, so hopefully it will be returned before we leave. I had to send both my passport and passport card with the application. If not, I guess I just take my enhanced driver's license instead, probably along with my birth certificate and marriage certificate just to be safe. Check your documents guys, make sure you have everything in order now, while you have time for expedited service if need be.

California does not offer Enhanced Drivers Licenses.

Only Michigan, Minnesota, Vermont, New York, and Washington do.

Your California Real ID is not good for cruising....so bring your United States issued Birth Certificate.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

30 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

California does not offer Enhanced Drivers Licenses.

Only Michigan, Minnesota, Vermont, New York, and Washington do.

Your California Real ID is not good for cruising....so bring your United States issued Birth Certificate.

David

Thanks, I was unsure it if was enhanced enough, although I did have to pay extra for it, vs. a regular driver's license. I'll be sure to bring all the other docs if my passport doesn't show up in time. 

OK, posting some more info here, bit's and pieces gathered from other threads: 

John Heald announced in a Book-Face video enhancements coming for the Carnival Hub app:

1. For people with Your Time Dining, they will check-in on the App. First it will tell you an estimated time, and you will enter the number of guests for the table. No need to queue up at the door, just head down when you get the notification in the app that your table is ready.
  2. For breakfast and brunch in the MDR, the same procedure will be followed.
  3. Adding the ability to contact guest services to ask questions, etc. Not sure what level of service will be available just using the app.
  4. Adding the ability to order specific food items (such as pizza, burritos, and burgers) for pick-up instead of standing in line and ordering. Apparently you will get a notification when your food is ready. 
  5. Adding a delivery option for certain food anywhere on the ship!  They already tested this out with Pizza (for a $5 delivery fee) that was delivered anywhere on the ship, but not specified if there will be a delivery charge during Covid protocols. However, if they don't add a delivery charge, PLEASE tip for this extra service. 
  6. Possibly using the app for reserving seats at comedy club/shows, but this info seems a little less certain, so I wouldn't count on it just yet.

There were also other changes announced: 

• The Fun Times will not be printed & delivered to every cabin. The full info will be available in the app, and a 1-page version specific to each day will be available to be picked up at Guest Services for those who wish a paper copy. Hopefully this means all the other sales flyers, etc. delivered to the cabin each day will be stopped also, save a lot of trees that way. 
  • He reiterated that the notice of Kids Club being closed right now ONLY applies to July cruises, they will decide soon about August. 

I talked to my PVP today to add my brother to this cruise since he got that last minute cheap rate and he feels, based on a meeting they had that morning, that the first cruises will go out at about 60% capacity, and ratchet up from there. No clue on how fast they will escalate, but I'd estimate that our cruise should sail between 60-70% full. Sounds great to me. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I'm not sure if you know the answer to this but my itinerary for this same ship/cruise in October shows that it arrives back in Long Beach at 9am.  Is that actually true?  I would think that would be tough to turn around for a 4:30 departure.  I'm confused on what kind of returning flight I'll need.

You should be fine. You will be able to disembark by 11 AM and that leaves you plenty of time to get to LAX assuming that’s where you will fly out of. 

Just now, bdever said:

You should be fine. You will be able to disembark by 11 AM and that leaves you plenty of time to get to LAX assuming that’s where you will fly out of. 

PS - I live 5 minutes adjacent to LAX and always make it home in an Uber by noon out of LB cruise terminal. 

Question for you fellow cruisers here - DH and I moved to Arizona from Atlanta last year, so about 85% of my cruising history is from the east coast. (We've also sailed from New Orleans & Galveston, and once 11 years ago to Mex Riviera during whale season).

I've read that we should definitely not expect the same type of clear water snorkeling that we have experienced in the Caribbean. Is there anyone here that can expand on that for me? And, if we decide to go forward, is one port better than another for this activity? Currently looking at snorkeling during our Cabo stop but not set in stone yet.

Thanks for any info!