Princess Grill Questions

Minnie29

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That is inexcusable!

Trying to find reasons to book a Grills Level stateroom.  This type of experience does not encourage me to do so.  

The Concierge noticed my ejection and told the Hotel Manager. The Hotel Manager came and found me in Beckham's Boozer and was most fulsome in his apologies. It didn't happen again.

I seem to recall a bottle of champagne appearing at some point later in the day.

I am the opposite of you, I tried Britannia twice. The quality of food was so different, I try to avoid. I have never tried PG or Club.

30 minutes ago, Nick&Simon said:

The Concierge noticed my ejection and told the Hotel Manager. The Hotel Manager came and found me in Beckham's Boozer and was most fulsome in his apologies. It didn't happen again.

I seem to recall a bottle of champagne appearing at some point later in the day.

I am the opposite of you, I tried Britannia twice. The quality of food was so different, I try to avoid. I have never tried PG or Club.

Correct response from both the Concierge and the Hotel Manager. I would expect nothing less.

I have to ask, having sailed QE a few times, where is Beckham's Boozer?

On 6/18/2021 at 5:55 PM, exlondoner said:

This seems to me a distinct improvement, as it gives more space, and one can stretch ones legs out comfortably without worrying about jogging the stuff on the table. Of course, if the weather is conducive, tea is also served outside on the terraces.

That most succinctly supports the whole point I was making regarding the differences in Grill's lounges on Vista class ships and the Cunard flagship, Queen Mary 2.

There really is no comparison between them in quality, space and ambiance...

333947710_GrillsLoungeHighTea.jpg.e99ddafed20faf42ea6432ceb4031f54.jpg

Of course, if one hasn't sailed Grills on Queen Mary 2 one just wouldn't understand. 

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That is an issue at the Yacht Club bar on MSC Meraviglia.  Where does one put one's feet?  I have a pair of dress shoes with scuffed toes by sitting at the bar.  

That is inexcusable!

Trying to find reasons to book a Grills Level stateroom.  This type of experience does not encourage me to do so.  

Good morning Sir.

You may wish to enlighten yourself with two of my reviews which span both Queens Grill and Princess Grill...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/01/02/queen-mary-2-remastered-trans-atlantic/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2019/05/06/queen-victoria-singapore-to-cape-town/

2113233726_Stateroom9040.thumb.jpg.bc57c34e031b35ab570b01f157e5b41c.jpg

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Correct response from both the Concierge and the Hotel Manager. I would expect nothing less.

I have to ask, having sailed QE a few times, where is Beckham's Boozer?

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Of course, boozer being the pub, but why Beckham and why Dorothy or Warwick unless the Warwick is to do with W.R and R.E?

Beckham's nickname is Golden Balls.

Dorothy (a friend of Dorothy is a homosexual man - thats why the LGBT get together used to be called Friends of Dorothy, aka "a queen"). Dorothy's BBQ = Queens Grill.

Commodore Warwick, used to eat Club Biscuits on the Bridge. Warwick's Biscuit = Commodore Club.

3 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Some lateral thinking required.

I think I'll just stick to the assigned names, thanks.

At least if you are in the Queens Grill on the QM2 and you hear the B&C regulars chatting, you will know some of what they are on about.

Although, given some of the nonsense spoken, you may not want too!

Edited by Nick&Simon

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

That most succinctly supports the whole point I was making regarding the differences in Grill's lounges on Vista class ships and the Cunard flagship, Queen Mary 2.

There really is no comparison between them in quality, space and ambiance...

333947710_GrillsLoungeHighTea.jpg.e99ddafed20faf42ea6432ceb4031f54.jpg

Of course, if one hasn't sailed Grills on Queen Mary 2 one just wouldn't understand. 

I have sailed QG on QM2 and considerably dislike the Grills Lounge thereon. Believe me, it is not lack of understanding, as you rather patronisingly assume, it is simply my preference. Incidentally, the comparative heights of the chairs and tables in the room above make eating tea a rather perilous and uncomfortable experience.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

I'm with BigMac on these names,  sounds like it could be the basis for a Monty Python sketch the ministry of silly names

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

I've travelled on the ships a few times and never once heard anyone use anything other than the assigned names. I think it unlikely they are that widely used.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nick&Simon said:

Beckham's nickname is Golden Balls.

Dorothy (a friend of Dorothy is a homosexual man - thats why the LGBT get together used to be called Friends of Dorothy, aka "a queen"). Dorothy's BBQ = Queens Grill.

Commodore Warwick, used to eat Club Biscuits on the Bridge. Warwick's Biscuit = Commodore Club.

I got the Warwick connection but not biscuit.

As for the others, I've never heard them used onboard but it confirms my inability to do The Times Cryptic Crossword. 😄

I'll follow BigMac and the others and continue to use given names.

55 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have sailed QG on QM2 and considerably dislike the Grills Lounge thereon. Believe me, it is not lack of understanding, as you rather patronisingly assume, it is simply my preference. Incidentally, the comparative heights of the chairs and tables in the room above make eating tea a rather perilous and uncomfortable experience.

Well there you go then. But again, I would maintain once more that the Grills Lounge on Queen Mary 2 offers a far superior ambiance than those on her smaller 'Vista' sisters.  

As to comparative heights of chairs, space and layout I'll leave the readership to make their own judgement...

Queen Victoria

1491978940_GrillsLoungeSeatingvariety.jpg.4cb401d32ddd85eebebddb08ec5240d9.jpg

Queen Mary 2

2056779813_GrillsLoungeSeating.jpg.d6f223e377ae564b49d204aaeebcfe04.jpg

Of course, I can think of a number of 'High Tea' venues at sea that would beat both of the above and aren't restricted to the upper echelons onboard...

102766281_TeatablestodieforSR.thumb.jpg.d802b210068457a31b005d17e35e3095.jpg

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

lol....thats a bit naughty Richard, thats picture of the Grills Lounge on the QV has definitely been altered or at the least taken with a very wide angle lens to make it appear as a much lower ceiling....naught Solent Richard.......naughty ....go to your room lol

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

lol....thats a bit naughty Richard, thats picture of the Grills Lounge on the QV has definitely been altered or at the least taken with a very wide angle lens to make it appear as a much lower ceiling....naught Solent Richard.......naughty ....go to your room lol

Also naughty because afternoon tea on QV/QE  is no longer served in the Grills Lounge but in the PG restaurant.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Also naughty because afternoon tea on QV/QE  is no longer served in the Grills Lounge but in the PG restaurant.

much to my chagrin - definitely not as enjoyable unfortunately....but she still is the best ship in the fleet, we just have to get her back to sea.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:31 AM, roscoe39 said:

Hey Roscoe, I accept your admonishment in the spirit it was given. 

The wide angle is a kind of trademark of mine. 😈

20 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Good morning Major.

Yes I am aware of that. The photograph was actually intended as an illustration of seating arrangements and seat sizes when the lounge was used for afternoon tea and to support my case that when it comes to afternoon tea both Vista Queens are the poor relations against our flagship. 

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Hey Roscoe, I accept your admonishment in the spirit it was given. 

The wide angle is a kind of trademark of mine. 😈

lol...hey richard, hope you are keeping safe in the solent....

and you have yet to admit the QV is the best ship in the fleet.

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 8:31 AM, Minnie29 said:

We have sailed with Cunard previously but this August will be our first time in Princess Grill. 
Any tips would be warmly welcomed. 
we are considering purchasing the coffee package. Do you think this is necessary in Princess Grill? I particularly love lattes. 
Also will there be bottled water and soft drinks in the cabin or Grills lounge? 
thank you so much

Bottled water is included free of charge in PG,Soft drinks will be found in the fridge , but are chargeable.