Rhine in December - recommendations on attire

Stevie44875

2 hours ago, Stevie44875 said:

I'm going on my first river cruise in December on the Rhine. Any suggestions on packing and what to wear? Thanks! Trying to get by with just a carry on....

Hi, River Cruising is  quite casual.  I am guessing December on the Rhine is probably cool/cold outside so I would bring layers.  Jeans are fine and I would say long sleeves. Nothing formal is needed.  And I would definitely suggest a good walking shoe. Normally you are on excursions every day.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise🙂 Oh, bring some kind of a jacket too. (Outerwear).

You do need a warm jacket and scarf, gloves, possibly woolly hat, especially on excursion. It can get below freezing.

Agree with good walking shoes that can last through a rain shower without getting your feet wet. You will be doing a lot of walking.

Have a good cruise. Enjoy the lights and all the delicious food.

notamermaid

A jacket with a zip out lining is good.  I was glad I had a few turtlenecks as it gets cold and windy.  Lightweight undershirts provide an added layer of warmth.

what cruise line?  Doesnt make a huge difference, but you may feel uncomfortable in jeans on Crystal (and others similar) at dinner. Viking may not be that dressy

Dont expect snow - probably too early.  mid 40s as a high down to the low 30s at night.  We bought waterproof, low, hiking shoes for everyday.  Most tours involve a lot of walking so comfortable and  being dry is paramount.  Layer clothing with some type of packable raincoat.  LL Bean would be a place to look fro most of these types

you should also see if there is a self serve laundry on board

I’ve been on 5 river cruises in December. (I love the Christmas Markets!)

I never wear jeans. Once they get wet they take forever to dry. Find some synthetic type pants that dry quickly, Columbia, etc. and pair them with some long underwear. Even though river cruising is casual, people do dress up a little at dinner, especially the 1st and last night with the celebrated Captain’s dinner. You would definitely feel out of place in jeans.

Why worry about only a carryon suitcase. You unpack once and put your suitcase under your bed for a week. I always bring a big bag so there is room to bring home all my goodies I’ve been having fun shopping for.

I good raincoat with a hood is essential. Also buy a wool hat at your first Christmas market. The ones in Europe are warmer than any I have found in the US.

Hi Jan, may I ask what cruise line? I thought Viking was quite casual. I could be wrong of course as I have never sailed with them but everything I have read, it sounds very casual.   I have worn black jeans and a nice top for many dinners and have always felt appropriate.  This was on AMA and Uniworld. 

It is a damp cold! Layers, waterproof shoes and waterproof jacket. As others have said scarves, gloves and hats.  I bought my favorite hat at a Vienna Christmas market years ago. We are hoping to do a land trip in December in the Netherlands and Belgium. The German Christmas Markets are the best!

Second seating