Mini suites on older Princess ships

CeCe_

We are big fans of mini-suites, and love the dual curtains in the newer cabins.  However we do not find the mini suites in the older ships appealing or pampering.  Because you spend a lot of time on the ship, you get to love the ship and your cabin should give you a place to relax and enjoy.  My husband doesn't care where he would sleep as long as there is a balcony.  But are the dated mini suites worth it.

Not me.. with the extended balcony, everyone in the balconies above you can see into your balcony.. no privacy at all..  I once got a free upgrade on Crown Princess from a balcony to a mini-suite, and after that, I specifically asked for no upgrades on that class of ship.

Mini suites on older ships have 2 main advantages.

Location, location, location.  Most of them are midship on Dolphin Deck.  Lower and less motion.

Balconies are huge.  Sure (some/most) are uncovered.   But depending on the direction, you may have some shade during the day.

As for a privacy curtain, I've brought magnet hooks and a shower curtain (or two).  Hang hooks on ceiling add shower curtains, bingo....privacy within the cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pre- Royal Class, mini suites and full suites are the only cabins with sofas and bath tub/shower. Club Class mini suites come with the Club Class dining benefit. Almost all mini suites on Grand & Crown Class ships are on deck 9. They have a 9ft x 6ft uncovered balcony. There are a few mini suites on deck 8 aft that have covered balconies. On some ships these are connecting cabins with interior connecting doors. Mini suites on the Island and Coral are roughly the same design and are on various decks. The below site will provide you with some information on the Island and Coral Princess. The site is accurate for the Coral and for cabins on the Island that are forward of the aft stairs.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html 

Edited by skynight
  • Like 2

I also have concerns over the extended uncovered balconies.  The lack of privacy like Vintagegarage mentioned, and people from the above might spit down on the balcony below.  I am not saying it happens all the time, but there is a probability. 

13 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

As for a privacy curtain, I've brought magnet hooks and a shower curtain (or two).  Hang hooks on ceiling add shower curtains, bingo....privacy within the cabin.

Love the DIY privacy curtains.  Never thought of that myself.  😀

14 minutes ago, skynight said:

Pre- Royal Class, mini suites and full suites are the only cabins with sofas and bath tub/shower. Club Class mini suites come with the Club Class dining benefit. Almost all mini suites on Grand & Crown Class ships are on deck 9. They have a 9ft x 6ft uncovered balcony. There are a few mini suites on deck 8 aft that have covered balconies. On some ships these are connecting cabins with interior connecting doors. Mini suites on the Island and Coral are roughly the same design and are on various decks. The below site will provide you with some information on the Island and Coral Princess. The site is accurate for the Coral and for cabins on the Island that are forward of the aft stairs.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html 

Thank you for the information.  

We like the mini suites on the older ships better than the Royal class ships because of the size of the balconies.  Also as Skynight said they have the sofa.

Edited by franktown
correct
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CeCe_ said:

Love the DIY privacy curtains.  Never thought of that myself.  😀

Also used it to make a "dressing room" between the closet and the entry or entry way and living area in an interior/balcony.  

10 minutes ago, taxatty said:

We will only get mini-suites on the Grand class ships with the covered balconies, which are the ones on the Emerald deck aft. The ones farthest aft have elongated balconies that are great.

That’s why I booked the Caribbean Princess a year and a half out as soon as the sailing opened up for sale. I wanted to make sure that I could get my hands on one of the two mini suites on emerald deck that have that extended balcony. Interestingly, I must’ve not been the only one thinking the same thing as the other one was already booked!

• Like 1

Last cruise I was on was a 3 week Caribbean cruse on the Caribbean Princess in a club class mini sweet.  Loved it.  Great size.  I dont think we lost much privacy.  It was great. 

Had one on the Crown for 3 weeks in europe and it was great.

Had one on the Royal princess and the balcony was too small. could only even sit comfortably on it.  couldnt lay down