EE to reintroduce Europe roaming charges in January (first of many?)

Harry Peterson

I'm with O2

They are reintroducing roaming charges, but only if you exceed 25gb of data.

That is a large amount of data, and most people won't use anything like that.... but there's nothing to stop them changing this policy, especially if all the other providers have done so 

• Like 1

We’re currently with Three, partly because it’s the only major provider to say they won’t change the existing arrangements after Brexit.

This is what they said, but let’s see what happens………

Has Brexit affected roaming?

Not on Three. The network has committed to continuing to offer free roaming in 71 destinations for the foreseeable future, even if the law changes, so nothing is changing if you’re on Three.

This isn’t surprising, since the network offered free roaming in a wide selection of countries even before the EU required it.

On most other networks it remains to be seen whether free roaming across Europe will still be offered from January 2021 (which is after the UK’s transition period, during which time all networks will still offer free EU roaming).

I have a pensioner proof PAYG non smart mobile with EE so no roaming charges because it is not smart and also almost always switched off. My smartphone does not have a SIM so I can't roam, free WiFi only 🙂

• Like 1

On Voda... for a good few years the free roaming has covered more non-EU countries than it has EU countries; so I can't see why a change of status with the EU would change that (it's not really about being in the EU or not). 

Voda have also been the only operator who have supported roaming in places like Japan (albeit at a small extra charge) for years - which has been very useful for me.

So I'm not expecting any big changes here.

3 minutes ago, smollett said:

On Voda... for a good few years the free roaming has covered more non-EU countries than it has EU countries; so I can't see why a change of status with the EU would change that (it's not really about being in the EU or not). 

Voda have also been the only operator who have supported roaming in places like Japan (albeit at a small extra charge) for years - which has been very useful for me.

So I'm not expecting any big changes here.

Free roaming was nice, but didn't save me much as I only used other folks WiFi. As we can't go anywhere and are ,at the moment roam charge proof, I will worry about that when it matters. At the moment my network still have free roaming. DW will have up to 25GB, that will do.

They are reintroducing roaming charges, but only if you exceed 25gb of data.”

My contract allows me 500mb of data …. And most of that remains unused 😁

I use GiffGaff which piggy backs onto O2 (for a quarter of the price) so we will have to see what happens. Having said that If I do go abroad I always turn my Mobile Data Access to off …