Is noon too early to fly home from Seattle?

farjar

15 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I wonder if airports, including SeaTac, will have additional Covid screening?

Having traveled through multiple airports (inside and outside the  USA) during the past few months we have never encountered any kind of COVID screening inside the USA.  It is not required (unless you are flying Internationally outside the USA and then it might be imposed by your airline) and is just not done.  The truth is that most of the USA has moved back to normal (this might be hard to believe for Canadians) with nearly everything open and few to no special COVID requirements with the exception of some mask requirements (especially when moving through airports and on planes).

Hank

The Link transit is a good option for travel to downtown. I have a July cruise and will use the Link with my $1 Orca card (senior fare) and stay at a hotel within a block of the Westlake station then uber/taxi to the pier the next day. Sure beats the I-5 traffic.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Ours is at 11:50.  We want the nonstop, so that's what was offered.  Getting to the ship on time is imperative; getting home notsomuch.   If we have to change a flight or stay a night in Seattle, that wouldn't be too terrible.   We are taking a HAL transfer to the airport, so we are first off the ship and on the road.   Usually we do Uber.  Just us.

I haven't been able to book online HAL transfer from ship to airport, I just get an error.  Did you have to call HAL directly to book?

11 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

That is what I am doing....I am flying in the day before and taking the free hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel.  Then I have booked "Seattle Express" for both the shuttle from the hotel to the port AND the shuttle from the port to the airport at the end of the cruise. It is $37.20 for round trip.  They pick up at a specified list of hotels (see website).  And the shuttle from the port to the airport for departure leaves every 15 minutes from 7 AM to 11 AM.  See link below.

Cruise Ship Transfers | Seattle Express

Thanks for this info - I'm going to check into doing this instead of doing the $15 shuttle to pier thru the Hampton and the Holland American transfer from ship to airport after the cruise.    

Maryell

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Then I have booked "Seattle Express" for both the shuttle from the hotel to the port AND the shuttle from the port to the airport at the end of the cruise. It is

Thank you.  I searched on line for a shuttle without success.  I will check out Seattle express.

28 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

I haven't been able to book online HAL transfer from ship to airport, I just get an error.  Did you have to call HAL directly to book?

I booked online.  First thing is select "Travel Planning," then "Pre and Post-Cruise Travel."

At "Post-Cruise" the option should be there.  I just looked at my booking and it is still available on mine.  If something is amiss when you log-in, I'm sure a quick call will get you the transfer you need.

Edited by AncientWanderer

Been through Seattle on cruise returns 3 times, twice just normal airport processing time/security checks, maybe 30 minutes total. Once - it was a madhouse with total time to get checked-in (Long-Long line for regular, and 20 people in-line for priority) airline traveler, and then an extremely long line to get through security screens - total time was just about 1.5 hours. We just made our flight out.

So - With one other ship this time in port that day it MAY be OK...your wait may vary...

As for transportation - Last time we cruised, we used Shuttle Express. Called Shuttle Express about service this time- but they no longer have bus service, Airport to downtown hotel via sedan was $110, the Kicker was... Downtown hotel to pier (10 Minute ride) was "2 hour minimum for transfers within city limit $228" - so that killed that idea. 

We will be going with Seattle Express for the Airport hotel to the pier, and probably Pier to the airport ($35 pp RT)  (Pick-Up at the hotel & the shuttle leaves the pier to airport every 15 minutes).

Do not know what the cost is for the HAL transportation Pier to Airport is - If anybody knows - can you let me know??

We have a 2 PM flight out - having been almost left once - we learned that lesson.  And after a week of rest, recuperation, and lolly-gagging about - who wants to re-enter the world of stress so soon???

Edited by RGEDad
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

Been through Seattle on cruise returns 3 times, twice just normal airport processing time/security checks, maybe 30 minutes total. Once - it was a madhouse with total time to get checked-in (Long-Long line for regular, and 20 people in-line for priority) airline traveler, and then an extremely long line to get through security screens - total time was just about 1.5 hours. We just made our flight out.

So - With one other ship this time in port that day it MAY be OK...your wait may vary...

As for transportation - Last time we cruised, we used Shuttle Express. Called Shuttle Express about service this time- but they no longer have bus service, Airport to downtown hotel via sedan was $110, the Kicker was... Downtown hotel to pier (10 Minute ride) was "2 hour minimum for transfers within city limit $228" - so that killed that idea. 

We will be going with Seattle Express for the Airport hotel to the pier, and probably Pier to the airport ($35 pp RT)  (Pick-Up at the hotel & the shuttle leaves the pier to airport every 15 minutes).

Do not know what the cost is for the HAL transportation Pier to Airport is - If anybody knows - can you let me know??

We have a 2 PM flight out - having been almost left once - we learned that lesson.  And after a week of rest, recuperation, and lolly-gagging about - who wants to re-enter the world of stress so soon???

HAL ship to airport transfer is $29.00 pp.

Btw...there were some posts about possible extra health screening at the airport.  I was more concerned about a delay in getting the ship cleared for debarkation, but then thinking it through, any testing protocols, forms, etc.,  would be completed onboard and transmitted well before arrival at Seattle and if there is a "sick ship" problem, it would be a long delay, so time of flight wouldn't really matter at that point anyhow.   Just my reasoning...

We have an Alaska Air flight that leaves at 12:01 pm. which we booked ourselves.  HAL flight Ease shows availability to book flights shortly after 11 am. We have used the luggage port valet service which was free in the past, from the ship-airport-home a number of times from Seattle and it has worked well.  If we miss our flight home it is no big deal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I booked online.  First thing is select "Travel Planning," then "Pre and Post-Cruise Travel."

At "Post-Cruise" the option should be there.  I just looked at my booking and it is still available on mine.  If something is amiss when you log-in, I'm sure a quick call will get you the transfer you need.

I can get to where I select passengers but the system won't allow me to put in my cart and pay, only saying there is an error.  Didn't know if it was because I didn't book my flights through HAL. I'll try calling them and see what happens.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, RGEDad said:

HAL transport from pier to airport is $29 pp.  Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, our hotel, Courtyard Southcenter, is not on Shuttle express's route.  I will check with the hotel closer to our August cruise to see what is available.

FWIW, I flew out of SeaTac yesterday.  Our drive from Anacortes to SeaTac took twice as long as it used to take (due, in part, to I-5 lane closures near Seattle). Our drive up the prior Saturday was hellish until we got well past Seattle, very bumper to bumper. Traffic always seems to be heavy nowadays in the Seattle area and for quite a distance north and south of it, so do not assume it will be a quick drive from the pier to SeaTac and vice versa.  The airport was crazy busy, people everywhere.  No special screening done for Covid but masks required (of course).  Oddly, despite the gazillion people everywhere, the Security lines in the Alaska Airlines terminal were really fast (this was around 2:00), which was a pleasant surprise.  Flights are FULL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 9:45 AM, maryandmarge said:

Thanks for this info - I'm going to check into doing this instead of doing the $15 shuttle to pier thru the Hampton and the Holland American transfer from ship to airport after the cruise.    

Maryell

Do the passengers with HA transfers from pier to airport have priority getting off of the ship? Also, does anyone know if check-in times to board the ship will be assigned and, if so, when would they appear?

7 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

Do the passengers with HA transfers from pier to airport have priority getting off of the ship? Also, does anyone know if check-in times to board the ship will be assigned and, if so, when would they appear?

My experience is that HA transfers are in the same queue as those heading to the airport to catch early flights.

HAL has tried assigned check-in times in the US but the experienced cruisers disregarded them.  If they are enforced now, there will be a glut of experienced passengers still arriving early and hanging around the terminal.  We can only wait until we get feedback from the first passengers heading for Alaska next month.

FWIW I have discovered that those flying Southwest airlines pay a high price on cruise disembarkation days.  If you wait until Tuesday, you will save enough $$$ for a hotel and rental car to enjoy Seattle

Edited by Crew News

I fly in and out of Seatac every couple weeks, including just a few days ago. There is no additional COVID testing. 

The airport is getting very busy again. Weekends are a madhouse and the security lines are very long. You might make that noon flight, but you should make sure you’re off that ship first thing. 

On 6/26/2021 at 4:41 PM, Cajuntraveler said:

Does anyone in the Seattle area have info about the best way to get to the cruise ship from the SEATAC area?  We are flying in the night before and staying at an airport hotel that offers free transportation to and from the airport.  The last time we cruised out of Seattle we rented a car at the airport and dropped it off downtown and the rental car company took us to the ship.  A rental car doesn't look like an option this trip. Should we try to get a taxi from the hotel or return to the airport where taxis are more available or is there a shuttle to the port?

Taxi from hotel

• Thanks 1

If you are courageous .... hotel shuttle to Sound Transit light rail airport station, light rail to Westlake station downtown, walk one block on Pine St, Seattle bus #33 from in front of Macy's, get off on Magnolia Bridge at Pier 91, walk down to ground level, pier shuttle to HAL terminal. Must have roller bag, be in good physical condition, and want to have fun on your way to the ship. It also helps to have been born and grown up in NYC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Must have roller bag, be in good physical condition, and want to have fun on your way to the ship. It also helps to have been born and grown up in NYC.

Thanks for the suggestion.  We're not that courageous.  I think we'll stick with the taxi from the hotel.

• Like 1

All that said...better check your flights, folks.

I logged onto Alaska Air just to make sure everything was in order, and my flight was pushed up to 11:40 -- too close for me to be comfortable with.

No email notification, nothing.  I switched to a later flight.  Somehow in the translation I paid an extra few bucks and lost my premium seats.  

Anyhow...keep an eye on things.  🤷‍♀️

33 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

All that said...better check your flights, folks.

I logged onto Alaska Air just to make sure everything was in order, and my flight was pushed up to 11:40 -- too close for me to be comfortable with.

No email notification, nothing.  I switched to a later flight.  Somehow in the translation I paid an extra few bucks and lost my premium seats.  

Anyhow...keep an eye on things.  🤷‍♀️

If the airline switched the flight times on you, they normally will allow you to take a different flight that day for no charge, and at the same seat level (premium).  I did this three times last week without a problem (all on American though) and MANY times over the past year.  On one of them the change was about 30 minutes but it reduced my connection time from 60 to 30 minutes, so when I told them that this would not work for an old man they readily changed me to a different flight (same seats).  I always call them to make the change, as sometimes the online approach does not work.

Edited by DaveOKC

Just now, DaveOKC said:

If the airline switched the flight times on you, they normally will allow you to take a different flight that day for no charge, and at the same seat level (premium).  I did this three times last week without a problem (all on American though) and MANY times over the past year.  On one of them the change was about 30 minutes but it reduced my connection time from 60 to 30 minutes, so when I told them that this would not work for an old man they readily changed me to a different flight (same seats).

How much of a change was it?  

Ha...it was only $20.00.  And I was glad when I figured out how to change it online, as the message in my booking said to call if the changes weren't acceptable.  But wait time on the call was five to eight hours.  You heard that right, five to eight hours.  I guess some airlines are only open local time 9 to 5 now?  We are living in strange times indeed.

There were no premium seats left.  Just lucky to get on the next available nonstop. The flight was almost full.

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

Ha...it was only $20.00.  And I was glad when I figured out how to change it online, as the message in my booking said to call if the changes weren't acceptable.  But wait time on the call was five to eight hours.  You heard that right, five to eight hours.  I guess some airlines are only open local time 9 to 5 now?  We are living in strange times indeed.

There were no premium seats left.  Just lucky to get on the next available nonstop. The flight was almost full.

Too bad you lost your premium seats though.  When I call American last week they had an 6 hour hold, so I called back the next morning early.  Then only a one hour hold but they offered a call back in an hour, so I accepted that.  Two hours later I called the automated system again and they said that they still had my call back request and now the wait time was only TWO hours.  I accepted that and just under two hours later they finally called back and it was done in less than five minutes.  Of course, I knew what flights I wanted and even the seats, so the agent was very happy to get it done so easily.

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Too bad you lost your premium seats though.  When I call American last week they had an 6 hour hold, so I called back the next morning early.  Then only a one hour hold but they offered a call back in an hour, so I accepted that.  Two hours later I called the automated system again and they said that they still had my call back request and now the wait time was only TWO hours.  I accepted that and just under two hours later they finally called back and it was done in less than five minutes.  Of course, I knew what flights I wanted and even the seats, so the agent was very happy to get it done so easily.

You were probably wise to be patient.  I got nervous that they would sell out.  

And it was one of those days anyhow.  I asked for $300 at the ready-teller and it spit out $200 in old ratty 10 dollar bills.  That took a long line in the bank and then a long wait on the phone to file a claim.  I was just a broken woman by the time the airline got to me.  🤣