Is noon too early to fly home from Seattle?

farjar

On 6/26/2021 at 4:08 PM, AncientWanderer said:

Ours is at 11:50.  We want the nonstop, so that's what was offered.  Getting to the ship on time is imperative; getting home notsomuch.   If we have to change a flight or stay a night in Seattle, that wouldn't be too terrible.   We are taking a HAL transfer to the airport, so we are first off the ship and on the road.   Usually we do Uber.  Just us.

Our flight is at 11:15, we carry off our own luggage. I lived is downtown Seattle for 4 months. Maybe I am wrong but I am not concerned about making our flight. We dock at 0700, off by 0800 and airport at 0900. Could still make flight if we arrived at 1000. My plan is to take taxi to the airport or a taxi to the train stop at Westlake Mall the train to airport. How quickly we exit the ship will help us decide. We never take the cruise shuttle. 

Edited by Suncoastsailors
  • Like 3

We originally booked a return flight home from Seattle for our September cruise that departed SEATAC at 12:25, this morning Delta sent me an email stating the new flight time was 11:50. We do have HAL transfer. Since all booked through HAL I suspect if the time does not work HAL will change it. I also do not think there will be a problem. 

• Like 1

United changed our flight home to 10:45 am.    No later flights to switch to.    Would have to stay overnight and take the next flight out in the morning, which I don't really want to do.    We won't be checking bags and have TSA precheck,  so we'll probably stick with it and have a backup plan in case things go bad.    Will try to be one of the first off the ship and grab a taxi.     We sail later in August, so we'll have some time to see if debarkation is running smoothly for the earlier sailings.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

United changed our flight home to 10:45 am.    No later flights to switch to.    Would have to stay overnight and take the next flight out in the morning, which I don't really want to do.    We won't be checking bags and have TSA precheck,  so we'll probably stick with it and have a backup plan in case things go bad.    Will try to be one of the first off the ship and grab a taxi.     We sail later in August, so we'll have some time to see if debarkation is running smoothly for the earlier sailings.

I find that using a cane helps me get off earlier.  Of course I get some funny looks when running to catch a taxi afterwards.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our first flight out of SeaTac following a cruise was in 2014. Our flight was scheduled for 2 pm. We had cruise ship transfers and arrived at the airport before 10 am. We spent two hours sitting on our luggage because we weren't allowed to check our bags until 2 hours before our flight. They even asked us if we wanted to take an earlier flight. This year our flight leaves at 11:35. I'm not worried. 

• Like 5

On 6/28/2021 at 12:21 PM, NavArch64 said:

If you are courageous .... hotel shuttle to Sound Transit light rail airport station, light rail to Westlake station downtown, walk one block on Pine St, Seattle bus #33 from in front of Macy's, get off on Magnolia Bridge at Pier 91, walk down to ground level, pier shuttle to HAL terminal. Must have roller bag, be in good physical condition, and want to have fun on your way to the ship. It also helps to have been born and grown up in NYC.

We fly into SEATAC at 9:00am on the Sunday morning of the cruise.  Do I understand correctly there is a Sound Transit rail station at the airport that we could get on then follow the rest of your directions?  Approximately how long would the entire trip take?  Thanks.

Our cruise returns on Saturday 8/21 and our flight leaves at 11:15 😬

I figure if we use the Port Valet luggage service and walk off the ship around 8:00 AM (our itinerary has us arriving at 7:00 AM) then we should be able to get to the airport in about 45 minutes.  I mapped it and according to Google Maps it is only a 29 minute drive, which accounts for traffic.  Sure, anything can happen, but we should be ok.  We have TSA precheck too.  We should be fine, right?   It's gonna be fine!

• Like 1

To farjar .... light rail from SEATAC station to Westlake station takes about 38 minutes ... bus #33 from Macy's downtown to Magnolia Bridge (near Pier 91) takes about 12 minutes ... but add waiting and transfer times .... could be between 1 hour (if perfect) to 2 hours (if not very perfect) ... clearly no time guarantees .... all depends on your interests and needs of the day.

We still don't know for sure what the post-COVID19 disembarkation protocols will be ... can you just walk off when you want to ... or will there be strict time assignments ... and if so, will they be enforced ... and if so, how?

2 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

On the positive side, our voyages from Seattle to Alaska should have no U.S. CBP procedures upon returning to Seattle .... or since we will be legally in Holland while onboard MS Nieuw Amsterdam .... who knows?

If the duty-free shop on board was open, there could be customs liability. At the New York cruise terminal, on a cruise that had called at ports in Canada (so we were actually on foreign soil at times), CBP glanced at passports -- just opened and held up -- and accepted oral customs declarations.

On 6/30/2021 at 10:14 AM, NavArch64 said:

To farjar .... light rail from SEATAC station to Westlake station takes about 38 minutes ... bus #33 from Macy's downtown to Magnolia Bridge (near Pier 91) takes about 12 minutes ... but add waiting and transfer times .... could be between 1 hour (if perfect) to 2 hours (if not very perfect) ... clearly no time guarantees .... all depends on your interests and needs of the day.

Thank you NavArch64.  Your information and maps are very helpful.  It is so nice that CC posters are willing to take the time to assist others. We have about 3 hours from the time we land until boarding so we thought it might be a "courageous and adventurous" way to see more of the city.  😊

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 1:41 PM, Cajuntraveler said:

Does anyone in the Seattle area have info about the best way to get to the cruise ship from the SEATAC area?  We are flying in the night before and staying at an airport hotel that offers free transportation to and from the airport.  The last time we cruised out of Seattle we rented a car at the airport and dropped it off downtown and the rental car company took us to the ship.  A rental car doesn't look like an option this trip. Should we try to get a taxi from the hotel or return to the airport where taxis are more available or is there a shuttle to the port?

Cajuntraveler,

What you did here is known as "hijacking a thread" and is considered impolite.  By asking a different question, the thread is now split into two different conversations.  Replies are now ambiguous as it is not always clear which question is being addressed. 

What you should have done is start a new thread with your question.

igraf

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 10:40 AM, farjar said:

We have the option of flying home from Seattle at either noon or 1:45.  The plan is to use Port Valet so we won't have to deal with our main luggage.  We also have TSA pre-check to reduce time at the airport.  Will booking the earlier flight give us enough time to get from the cruise terminal and make our flight?  Also what is the best way to get travel between SEATAC and the pier?  Thanks. 

Thanks for sharing your post with me...I'm on my way to my airline's site to go with that later flight now :-}