Splitting Entrées at Fahrenheit 555

lcapo511

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has had the opportunity to have dinner at Fahrenheit 555 and split one plate with their husband or wife.  I want to take my Father and Mother In-Law but they both will not eat an entire steak or meal by themselves. They are 75 years old and don't eat much. Would this be a problem?  

Thanks in advance,

Luis

They can order 1 steak entree and 1 lobster entree and share for a fabulous surf and turf dinner. They can skip lunch or dine a little later to increase their appetite.

It just hit me: they can order a Steakhouse entree in the MDR for an ($20?) up charge and share it without incurring the $38pp Steakhouse tab.

• Like 3

Oh wow! I would love to hear a definitive answer on this also! My husband and I both had weight loss surgery years ago and have had to skip the steakhouse ever since. It would be awesome if we could share an entree and just tip the server extra so they aren’t taking a loss by us sharing.. I used to think the food was sooooo much better than the mdr:-)

2 minutes ago, cruisenanny said:

Oh wow! I would love to hear a definitive answer on this also! My husband and I both had weight loss surgery years ago and have had to skip the steakhouse ever since. It would be awesome if we could share an entree and just tip the server extra so they aren’t taking a loss by us sharing.. I used to think the food was sooooo much better than the mdr:-)

Lol that is the definitive answer. The price to eat there is per person, not based on cost of a entree.

There is a steak choice as someone mentioned you can order in the Mdr, but I'd go in.

There are other choices that cost less. Jijis is 15, the fish shack place is ala cart. Italian is 15 per person. 

Btw rcl steakhouse costs more, 38 is good imo.

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol that is the definitive answer. The price to eat there is per person, not based on cost of a entree.

There is a steak choice as someone mentioned you can order in the Mdr, but I'd go in.

There are other choices that cost less. Jijis is 15, the fish shack place is ala cart. Italian is 15 per person. 

Yep - $38 is a comparative bargain!

For those who don't eat a lot, you don't have to clear all the plates they bring you, or order all the courses. Rarely do we ever have room left over for dessert. And in the recent past neither of us typically finish an entree. I've had a few meals there where I skipped the entree completely and order an extra couple of starters. 

We are paying for the level of service and the ambience of the experience. A nice way to treat oneself and others you enjoy sharing meals with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can't remember seeing this particular topic come up before but surely it has. It's a good question. It might be a great one to pose to John. Of course anything he answers could be outdated or incorrect as much as they could be correct. YMMV. But surely someone will have the answer if not the historical answer from the past. 

is the service that much different than what you are supposed to get in the MDR or is it just the extra increased food costs that puts the necessities for charging extra from the regular cruise fare? Now we have eaten at the steakhouse often and they have excellent service but it's the high quality food along with the ambiance that they sell. Arguably the service "should" be similar. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I can't remember seeing this particular topic come up before but surely it has. It's a good question. It might be a great one to pose to John. Of course anything he answers could be outdated or incorrect as much as they could be correct. YMMV. But surely someone will have the answer if not the historical answer from the past. 

is the service that much different than what you are supposed to get in the MDR or is it just the extra increased food costs that puts the necessities for charging extra from the regular cruise fare? Now we have eaten at the steakhouse often and they have excellent service but it's the high quality food along with the ambiance that they sell. Arguably the service "should" be similar. 

I'd imagine john would tell you that you can order the steak ala carte in the Mdr. And just order one and share it. Some one above thought it was $20 to order the steak from the steak house. 

Edited by firefly333

19 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'll pay extra just not to have the waiters dancing on tables!

You know, the last 2 cruises we went on I actually got a little annoyed with the singing and dancing. Not that they sing and dance, but that the singing and dancing interferes with table service. You either get the entree early or late depending on where you are during dinner as YTD   Or waiting on dessert, etc.. I was worried that we would get the next course before they had to stop to dance. There used to be 3 servers per table in the past now there are only 2 and they can only do so much in time. It can take 10 minutes to get servicing of tables restarted. 

• Like 1

I believe that part of that $38 is for the experience so I don't see how they could pay for one when both of them are experiencing it. I don't know if there is a reduced rate for children. If so, possibly they could qualify for that rate? 

8 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

I believe that part of that $38 is for the experience so I don't see how they could pay for one when both of them are experiencing it. I don't know if there is a reduced rate for children. If so, possibly they could qualify for that rate? 

Also first night free wine. 

If I heard some seniors asking for children's rate I'd not be happy. During peak times you cant get in. If I couldnt get a reservation when I wanted and heard some senior asking for children's rates taking up space, not fair.

And I'm a senior who cant eat a whole meal at a time. I'm used to nibbling at home so I often hardly eat my entree. 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes thanks! I’m aware of the other choices! It’s not about the money and by the time I get to the steak it’s really not about that anymore either.. I used to love the soups and apps.. I think the real DEFINITIVE answer would be that we just have to ask and based on timing and availability one might get a yes or a no.. I find it hard to believe this is a HARD NO 100% of the time.. the OP may have better luck getting a yes because there will be other adults paying for full meals vs just one couple dining alone and wanting to share.. 

7 minutes ago, cruisenanny said:

Yes thanks! I’m aware of the other choices! It’s not about the money and by the time I get to the steak it’s really not about that anymore either.. I used to love the soups and apps.. I think the real DEFINITIVE answer would be that we just have to ask and based on timing and availability one might get a yes or a no.. I find it hard to believe this is a HARD NO 100% of the time.. the OP may have better luck getting a yes because there will be other adults paying for full meals vs just one couple dining alone and wanting to share.. 

I really don't think that they would be inclined to budge on the per person cost here. In the end there's too much chance it would get out on FB or someplace like here and tomorrow you'd have regular fights onboard to get the same treatment by a whole host of passengers. For a long time I split meals regularly with my son, I don't eat huge meals at a sitting and it got rid of the need to drag a "doggy bag" home. I'd still do it today in fact if it wasn't for the looks I'd get with his age- ha! In the end I go to the Steak House for quality and atmosphere both- mostly atmosphere. The MDR has really quite good food. I usually order the smallest steak with just one appetizer and dessert and if I don't eat it all I don't care but the per person charge is fair and aside from a per ala carte menu charging by item the only way to do it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

I really don't think that they would be inclined to budge on the per person cost here. In the end there's too much chance it would get out on FB or someplace like here and tomorrow you'd have regular fights onboard to get the same treatment by a whole host of passengers. For a long time I split meals regularly with my son, I don't eat huge meals at a sitting and it got rid of the need to drag a "doggy bag" home. I'd still do it today in fact if it wasn't for the looks I'd get with his age- ha! In the end I go to the Steak House for quality and atmosphere both- mostly atmosphere. The MDR has really quite good food. I usually order the smallest steak with just one appetizer and dessert and if I don't eat it all I don't care but the per person charge is fair and aside from a per ala carte menu charging by item the only way to do it. 

Didn’t say the price wasn’t fair. Have never found the atmosphere or service to be anything worth paying extra for. (It’s always fine but never a wow) I also don’t think the mdr food is all that great, but with a tiny stomach it’s just not that big of a deal either way.. I can tell you that my dad has invited us along to specialty restaurants on other cruise lines and they have always let us split, but again, there were other paying adults so we were just a small part of the equation. You have a VERY good point though, about how word would spread and folks would be DEMANDING it rather than asking and accepting the answer with grace. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisenanny said:

Didn’t say the price wasn’t fair. Have never found the atmosphere or service to be anything worth paying extra for. (It’s always fine but never a wow) I also don’t think the mdr food is all that great, but with a tiny stomach it’s just not that big of a deal either way.. I can tell you that my dad has invited us along to specialty restaurants on other cruise lines and they have always let us split, but again, there were other paying adults so we were just a small part of the equation. You have a VERY good point though, about how word would spread and folks would be DEMANDING it rather than asking and accepting the answer with grace. 

Were the other specialty restaurants on other lines a Prix Fixe menu though? I'm sure if you were splitting at Cucina or JiJis or the Sushi place or the Seafood place then no problem because it's an ala carte menu priced by the item instead of by the meal as a whole. That's where it gets problematic. I can tell you there are a lot of people like me that would split meals with kids, especially, rather than pay even the child's rate because neither one of us is going to eat that much. It would get out of hand rapidly and being told no, on one cruise, after you know someone was told yes on another cruise... is that fair? It's not about accepting something with grace so much as knowing a courtesy was extended to one cruiser and then not to you- that's where problems come in. I mean if I know of several instances where something as you describe has happened and then I go and request the same favor extended to others be extended to me but am turned down I'm going to be unhappy- I'd accept it and leave without a scene but I'd be unhappy and reflect that unhappiness to Carnival directly and in any reviews I did because it simply and plainly is not fair unless it's extended as an option available to everyone all the time. I like the atmosphere there btw because it's smaller, more intimate and more quiet without the floor show distracting dining and the loud more hectic atmosphere. You can relax and proceed at a slower feeling pace. 

• Thanks 1

The answer is yes, they can share an entrée, but the fee is still going to be $35/pp. That's the way it is, and it has nothing to do with whether it's too much or too little food. That's the Cover charge, end of story. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I cruise Solo, And mostly eat in the steakhouse just to avoid sitting in the middle of the mdr alone lol Plus the food is better service is amazing and I don't have to deal with dancing waiters.

But I digress, It is $38 PP regardless. 

And I would like to add on if I go into the steakhouse and some seniors are asking for a children's cost for their meal for sharing or what not I would be a bit peeved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the next few hears there will be cruisers with extra obc wanting to book more pay restaurants than usual. I know I have one booked with extra obc, not the others.

I plan on trying to eat in a pay venue every night if I can book it. One steak house, maybe 3 JiJis because I like it better. Reservations are going to be tight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasonsterling said:

Were the other specialty restaurants on other lines a Prix Fixe menu though? I'm sure if you were splitting at Cucina or JiJis or the Sushi place or the Seafood place then no problem because it's an ala carte menu priced by the item instead of by the meal as a whole. That's where it gets problematic. I can tell you there are a lot of people like me that would split meals with kids, especially, rather than pay even the child's rate because neither one of us is going to eat that much. It would get out of hand rapidly and being told no, on one cruise, after you know someone was told yes on another cruise... is that fair? It's not about accepting something with grace so much as knowing a courtesy was extended to one cruiser and then not to you- that's where problems come in. I mean if I know of several instances where something as you describe has happened and then I go and request the same favor extended to others be extended to me but am turned down I'm going to be unhappy- I'd accept it and leave without a scene but I'd be unhappy and reflect that unhappiness to Carnival directly and in any reviews I did because it simply and plainly is not fair unless it's extended as an option available to everyone all the time. I like the atmosphere there btw because it's smaller, more intimate and more quiet without the floor show distracting dining and the loud more hectic atmosphere. You can relax and proceed at a slower feeling pace. 

Yes the specialty restaurants on other lines were fixed price. I agreed that I could see where it would be problematic for sure. I see what you’re saying. 

5 hours ago, Jasonsterling said:

I'm sure if you were splitting at Cucina or JiJis or the Sushi place or the Seafood place then no problem because it's an ala carte menu priced by the item instead of by the meal as a whole. 

Cucina del Capitano as well as Jiji's are 15 pp, not a la carte

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Cucina del Capitano as well as Jiji's are 15 pp, not a la carte

You're right. I thought of that after the fact. I haven't eaten at Cucina since 2016, lol- I wasn't impressed, lol and never at Ji Ji- somehow got it in my head they were ala carte like the sushi place and seafood place. In that case in my opinion the same would apply to them as the steak house but maybe since they're cheaper people would overlook it more, probably not- ha.