Observations from the Poop deck

Well, we are home again. A few extra tidbits on our debarkation this morning. Woke up before dawn and watched the Edge sail into port from our balcony. Retreat guests are advised to assemble in Fine Cut steak house. All other guests in Eden restaurant. Retreat guests are the first to exit the ship from Fine Cut on deck 5 to gangway 50 feet away. Ship cleared at 7:15 and we exited flashing our room key cards to register our leaving. If anyone has luggage to collect besides carry-ons do not hurry, the luggage is still being unloaded from the ship. Retreat guests luggage is the first off the ship designated by the numbered luggage tags given to us by our butlers the night before. We were in group 3. No matter I saw 7-12 already sitting waiting for Eden guests still on board. Before one even gets to luggage, we all were treated for a guest appearance of Capt. Kate and Cruise Director Lauren, behind ropes greeting exiting passengers and thanking all of us one by one, in the terminal. Getting to luggage all of us had to step and wait aside for the rest of all the Retreat luggage to be unloaded, while passengers with only carry-ons flew past. After 10-15 minutes they opened the 'ropes' with porters standing by to assist. This Port Everglades exit through customs was the fastest in history. The facial recognition was working and no need for any one 'recognized' to need to see a customs official. Just straight out to the curb. Left DW at curb and walked to parking garage, $105 for the week.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention, last night while entering the Luminae for dinner a gentleman and his wife was commenting to the maitre d' that his request to stay on board and book another Retreat cabin was denied by Celebrity, apologizing that they hit their quota. Believe me, everyone on this sailing was thrilled with the cruise and DW is presently on line searching for another Celebrity cruise to take even if  its a 48 hour cancellation. She is got the washing machine going and has already this morning taken her 'stuff' to the dry cleaners hoping someone cancels their cabin in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I forgot to mention, last night while entering the Luminae for dinner a gentleman and his wife was commenting to the maitre d' that his request to stay on board and book another Retreat cabin was denied by Celebrity, apologizing that they hit their quota. Believe me, everyone on this sailing was thrilled with the cruise and DW is presently on line searching for another Celebrity cruise to take even if  its a 48 hour cancellation. She is got the washing machine going and has already this morning taken her 'stuff' to the dry cleaners hoping someone cancels their cabin in the coming weeks.

Yes, they pulled the 7/10 sailing sometime this week so we knew it was "full"

I'm glad we booked our B2B already (well I get to do B2B...DH heads home & DM is meeting me)

The wrist thing does kind of annoy me because I hate having things in my wrist when I’m in the bathroom or taking a shower. Hope they come up with a better way. I wonder if they were allowed 100% vaccination this would be an issue?

3 minutes ago, sergel02 said:

The wrist thing does kind of annoy me because I hate having things in my wrist when I’m in the bathroom or taking a shower. Hope they come up with a better way. I wonder if they were allowed 100% vaccination this would be an issue?

Well they switched it this week--NON-vaxxed have to wear them now.

• Like 1

Just now, sergel02 said:

Oh really? I imagine they could just try to cut them off though, but that’s seems okay otherwise.

Totally agree. 

DH & I both said makes more sense for vaxxed passengers as they r more likely to keep on.

Sounds like that wasn't necessarily the case.🤨

And a bit of whining by vaxxed passengers.

LOL NOBODY wants to deal with the inconveniences of cruising in these times--SHEESH!

Thought of another observation for those going on board these next cruises. A promotional flyer was placed in our cabin which one has to take advantage of while on board. One must go to the Future Cruise desk and get an 'open booking' number for a future cruise and a deposit of $100. With this number one has 90 days to book a future cruise and receive up to $500 in obc on your next cruise in addition to whatever obc you get from TA or Celebrity. I did not take the time to read the fine print (did not have my 4.0 glasses). The bold title was"Book Now or Book Later" within 90 days. We got home and decided to book another Celebrity within 24 hours, by canceling a booking on another cruise line which requires vaccinated passengers to be masked and tested while on board. Now I am advised to contact Celebrity resolutions desk to see if I can still take advantage of this promo for not having followed the 'fine print' on the back of the flyer. (MUST BE DONE ON BOARD).....

On 7/10/2021 at 6:17 PM, KKB said:

Well they switched it this week--NON-vaxxed have to wear them now.

I read on another thread that this cruise was 100% vaccinated adults..no need for any bands...FWIW

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have 300 fully vaccinated guests on Seabourn and over 400 crew also vaccinated.   Can’t imagine being on a ship with over 1400 passengers and a fully booked suite class.  We have only had company at one Greece Port, the Silver Moon.  Think we will stay with the small ships for now.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:44 PM, KKB said:

And a bit of whining by vaxxed passengers.

LOL NOBODY wants to deal with the inconveniences of cruising in these times--SHEESH!

Big surprise there! (and yes, we're vaxxed).

Thought I would give you all and myself another 'observation' about cruising in suite class, any suite class. I include myself because it is a rationalization of  my spending the money. After 70 years of 'delayed gratification' I am finding it hard to justify the rising costs of suite class. This past year and a half of pandemic has done a great deal to loosen my 'pocketbook' and there is far more time in the 'rear view mirror' and the visibility of the road ahead is quite foggy. I noticed in the news yesterday that I am not alone in my thinking. A 132 day' round the world' cruise 'sold out' in 2 1/2 hours, at a cost of minimally $75,000 per person with a waiting list. $568.00 per day per person. That is cheaper per day than some of the suites for a week or B2B cruise on these new 'ship within a ship concept' ships. For me and DW a week or two is just enough every other month. I know there are those like 'super Mario' and "Mama Fay' that have lived on board cruise ships for extended times. So I appreciate the taste of luxury cruise ships have to offer in this short time we have left even though I hate parting with our hard earned dollars. Bon Voyage and Godspeed !

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 4