Oasis - Grand suite... skip beverage package?

If you have been on a cruise before and you still have your old bill (yeah, some of us are pack rats), you could do the calculation yourself 🙂.

Personally, I have never been able to even break even on the DBP myself and was fine with the daytime offerings in the pre-COVID SL. YMMV

Another reason we like the drink package is that it allows the bartenders to play some, especially in the more cocktail oriented bars.  We sometimes will ask them to just make us something (after they've gotten to know us a bit).  Many enjoy a chance to show off, and they know there's no real downside to taking a chance.  If we don't like it, we move on to the next thing.

It also comes in handy at dinner.  We stopped buying bottles and just go with everything by the glass.  Again, you can try what you like.  Have another if you like it or move on if you don't.  Or start with something bubbly and change with each course.  We've always found something by the glass that we enjoy (and they just come around and top you off from time to time once they know you have the package--nice).

I'm laughing at myself a little because it sounds like I'm selling the dadgum package.  I just want to bring up the fact that the package has some less obvious and tangible yet rather significant advantages that you may or may not have become aware of over your sailings.  I assure you I get nothing from a sale. 😉  

• Like 3

Fam and I always stay in suites (CL, GS) but I buy the drink pkg anyway.  I never figure out if I've used any coupons since I buy the drink pkg.  Either I use them or they go to waste.  And I'm D+ as well.  Never feel like going all the way up to Coastal Kitch on 17 just to get drinks.  And not the same selection in CK as in Boleros, etc.

Wow.  My 250th post in 15 years.  LOL

Edited by SailyaCruise
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

We sometimes will ask them to just make us  We've always found something by the glass that we enjoy (and they just come around and top you off from time to time once they know you have the package--nice).

We are Diamond and soon to be D+.

I always get the deluxe beverage and my (one drink a day pre dinner) wife gets the Replenish.

Bottled water, coffees, juices and all the other drinks add up and the packages are convenient.

When I  have wine with my dinner I always ask the wine steward for recommendations and have been MORE than pleased with their selections.  

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Bottled water, coffees, juices and all the other drinks add up and the packages are convenient.

We've all discussed that a little, but it bears repeating.  When you total everything, alcoholic and not, I use the package at least a dozen times on a port day and a good deal more than that on a sea day.  The more I think of it, the more I realize that we are getting a mighty good bargain.

This is the same thing as the cabana question; are they worth it? Or an excursion question; ship or private?  Or just about any decision on the ship.

Everyone's value is different.  We stay in suites and always buy the drink package. I don't do the math because I put a huge dollar value on convenience.  Walking past the bar and I want a drink, I go get it.  I don't have to pack up my stuff, trudge up to deck 17 for a drink, then go back to whatever I was doing.  I also place a huge value on sampling. I am not a huge drinker so haven't yet really developed my favorites yet. So on a cruise, sampling is part of the vacation experience for me. I really want to know what this popular drink tastes like or that one, without guild. If it is a resounding yuck, I just go back to the bar and get another one.  I am pretty sure I more than make up for any slack in the drink package with the amount of lattes and water I drink. 

Some people are satisfied with the drinks in the suite lounge.

No one is wrong. You just need to decide what is more important to you; total cost or convenience?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cured said:

This is the same thing as the cabana question…

While I disagree with this statement (you can’t rent out the cabanas for part of the day), I agree with the other points this post raised regarding the non-financial benefits. However, if we are to go there, there is also a significant detriment that can be summed up by a quote from my little brother on a family cruise we took about a decade ago.  He had been getting his money’s worth from the equivalent of the DBP. On Day 4 I had not seen him at breakfast so I went to his cabin to check up on him. This is what he told me:

“I’ve decided to take a vacation from my vacation”. 😛

• Haha 2

On 7/5/2021 at 12:40 PM, miamimere said:

This cruise with double points will put us at Diamond, but we will be Emerald coming in... 

I am just trying to figure out when we will be purchasing out of pocket - sounds like at CocoCay and during the day at the pool (unless we want to go in CK and grab a beer/wine).  Dinner drinks will be covered if we eat at CK until 8 or 9?  So, maybe  few drinks at the shows.... doesn't sound like it's worth $950 drink package unless we hit it really hard at CocoCay! haha... 

If you think of the drink package as only the alcohol, it rarely makes sense unless you plan on being drunk the whole cruise. We always factor in water, soda, coffee, juice in the AM. This usually makes it easier to swallow. Check out this calculator for a ballpark figure:https://www.cruzely.com/cruise-line-drink-package-calculator/

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

If you think of the drink package as only the alcohol, it rarely makes sense unless you plan on being drunk the whole cruise. We always factor in water, soda, coffee, juice in the AM. This usually makes it easier to swallow. Check out this calculator for a ballpark figure:https://www.cruzely.com/cruise-line-drink-package-calculator/

Good points.  We used to lug water and soda on board and were always thinking about the high cost of drinks, which usually meant we didn’t get anything.  The package gives you a certain freedom. I have tried some different drinks, taken a sip, and didn’t like it.  I then ordered something else.  Without the package I probably wouldn’t have ordered it and , if I did, either would have wasted the money or drank enough to get my monies worth.  

The biggest question Is the price.  The lowest for our February cruise has been 62.  I hope it goes lower.   If you add in the gratuity you need to average four 13 dollar drinks, three bottled waters, a juice and a soda to break even.  Add in more non alcoholic drinks and the number of alcoholic drinks goes down to three a day.  Since we all probably drink more on the first day or two you’ll only need a drink or two a day  later in the week.   We probably get six to eight bottles of water a day.  At home we do the same.  I like my Diet Coke and can drink them all day long.  Freshly squeezed juice is nice at breakfast.

Each of us usually have two glasses of wine during an hour to hour and a half dinner and perhaps a specialty coffee with desert.  Add in a cocktail before or after dinner, a beer or cocktail on the pool deck and it more than pays for itself.  

The main point of the package is convenience and flexibility.  If you get it and then spend your vacation days keeping a spreadsheet of what you drank to justify the cost it’s probably not for you.  We’re retired, saved our money and, even though I’m a bit of a tightwad,  I splurge on vacations.  Our feelings are we are on vacation and don’t want to worry about anything, but relaxing and having an enjoyable week.  

Most of our cruises have been in suites and we love dressing nicely, and then going to the lounge each evening for a drink or two prior to dinner.  I’ll have the house red or maybe a beer or gin and tonic.    It’s a nice change of pace, relaxing and also a chance to talk with different people from different parts of the country or world.  We definitely don’t go there to get our daily fill of cruise alcohol.  

Also we’ve never been on the larger ships so have no experience with drinks in the lounge during the day.  That doesn’t  sound all that great to me.  Except for a welcome drink at 11:30 or so when we first board we don’t really drink until later in the day and if we did want a beer  or glass  wine at lunch going to get it at the lounge makes no sense.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

The main point of the package is convenience and flexibility.

This !  Plus, the peace of mind knowing that our drinks are already prepaid and I won't have a big surprise bill at the end of the cruise. I never EVER choose the DBP as a money-saving exercise.  I buy it so that I know I can have any drink, anywhere at any time - or not.  Of course there are liquors and wines that exceed the drink price threshold but we're not that exotic.  Certainly there is a price at which I no longer consider the DBP to be reasonable but if it is $60 PP/PD or less, I will buy it every time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cured said:

This is the same thing as the cabana question; are they worth it? Or an excursion question; ship or private?  Or just about any decision on the ship.

True this!  I have had this "is it worth it" discussion many times with my spouse.  First, you aren't suppose to take drinks from the SL.  Second, it's mostly to long of a walk to anyplace on deck even if you did.  We spend most days on the suite sun deck.  I like my hot dogs and I would have to get three beers from the SL just to make it to the Dog House and have something to drink with my dogs.  Our Thanksgiving cruise we will probably never get off the ship except at CoCo and the package works there.  Don't judge me, but a couple of Bloody Mary's, 5-6 beers, pre-dinner cocktail, 1-2 glasses of wine with dinner (don't do SL every night and try to eat late), cappuccino, and cocktail or two at a show (I'm at least even) not to mention the convivence.  Oh, and did I mention stocking my refrigerator with a few beers and waters during the day?  So, $67 a day even at $12 = 5.5 drinks, I'm there by noon.      

• Haha 1