Nieuw Amsterdam Capacity for Alaska in 2021

I know the NA is starting out at about 50% capacity, but does anyone have more definitive information on what it might cap out at this year?  Seems doubtful they would get to 100%.  Looking at the 9/18 sailing and wondering what the capacity cap will be for that cruise.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, jbpcalifornia said:

I know the NA is starting out at about 50% capacity, but does anyone have more definitive information on what it might cap out at this year?  Seems doubtful they would get to 100%.  Looking at the 9/18 sailing and wondering what the capacity cap will be for that cruise.  Thanks!

We don't know.  Gus Antorcha said it will start around 50% and may scale up and they will continue to work with the CDC.  The live meeting with Gus Antorcha was cancelled.  If you have a facebook account, keep tabs on Seth Wayne Holland America Line for information as well.  https://www.facebook.com/SethonHAL

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Nobody knows. Is there s capacity that is too high for you?

The lower capacity is one of the factors attracting us to this cruise.  But since its toward the end of the cruise season, I'm thinking it might be close to capacity by that point.

9 minutes ago, jbpcalifornia said:

The lower capacity is one of the factors attracting us to this cruise.  But since its toward the end of the cruise season, I'm thinking it might be close to capacity by that point.

I think you are correct, and that you should expect higher capacity levels. The cruise lines are not going to operate at a loss any longer than facts on the ground require them to. If early sailings are successful in terms of, at minimum, containing Covid issues, capacity will ramp up quickly. 

We aren't scheduled to sail until later February. We will be very surprised if they aren't fully booked by then, if there aren't any serious problems prior.

6 hours ago, jbpcalifornia said:

IIRC, Gus said it starts at 50% and works up to 80%.  If the Sailing you're interested in is showing Inside Rooms available, good chance it'll be 80%, JMO.

2 hours ago, idiebabe said:

IIRC, Gus said it starts at 50% and works up to 80%.  If the Sailing you're interested in is showing Inside Rooms available, good chance it'll be 80%, JMO.

44 minutes ago, jbpcalifornia said:

Thanks!  I hadn't heard of the 80% cap.  That's good to know and reasonable to expect.

I don't remember hearing 80% but maybe I missed that when Gus Antorcha was live with Seth Wayne.  I thought he said they would continue to get guidance from CDC.  But, also IMO, the numbers will go up with each successful sailing. 

3 hours ago, jbpcalifornia said:

Thanks!  I hadn't heard of the 80% cap.  That's good to know and reasonable to expect.

You hadn't heard of the 80% cap because it was never stated.