Roaming Charges and the X App

cltnccruisers

3 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

With the changes to the packages Surf will not support WiFi calling. I was on Edge last week and it definitely will not work. The package included in the old 3 perk deals would. 

Thanks - that's good to know but disappointing.

1 hour ago, finny2 said:

No real menus? The idea of having to read a menu on my phone is horrible. Please say it isn’t so.

They have actual menus in the Restaurants but have it on the app if you wish to check ahead to see what will be on the menu.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

With the changes to the packages Surf will not support WiFi calling. I was on Edge last week and it definitely will not work. The package included in the old 3 perk deals would. 

Due to a lift and shift I have a booking in January that was booked with the old perk deals. Which Internet do we get?

I use T-Mobile and they have International Roaming included but the speed is 3G.    Not wonderful but for free I use it  often while traveling internationally.   While on the ship  I put in airplane mode and then turn on Blue Tooth and Wifi.  While on the ship my Iphone uses Wifi Calling and I can make and receive calls at no additional cost.     When off  the ship I turn on fully and use it a lot for Maps.  

Always a good idea to check with your carrier.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

What kind of bandwidth do they give you in the stream package.  Wifi calling doesn't require to much bandwidth. Can you upgrade just the internet package on one device?  Any idea the cost?

3 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

So I have the X app on my iphone and used it for check in for our August 27 Equinox sailing.  Really looking forward to getting back on board.

It occurred to me this morning that with "free" wifi on board we shouldn't have to worry about roaming charges.  But what about when we leave the ship in port?  There is nothing in the App FAQs on the subject so I thought I'd post here and see what the experts have to say.

Just putting the iphone in airplane mode may be enough?

Thanks.

Who is your cellular service carrier?  Do you have unlimited data and messaging? There are many threads here on CC dealing with this topic.  Different carriers have different plans if your port is outside the US.  Check with your carrier or their website.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

It must be a hardware thing with newer models. I'm running iOS 14.6 on my iPhone 7+ and airplane mode still disables wifi and cellular data.

There are still multiple generations of iPhones out there right now. So keeping up with hardware only things, or software that applies different functionality to different hardware versions, will drive you nuts. In fact, I just noticed the OP never mentioned her iPhone model (or IOS version...), so we're all answering based on our own configurations...

And I'm not even going to go to Android!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

What kind of bandwidth do they give you in the stream package.  Wifi calling doesn't require to much bandwidth. Can you upgrade just the internet package on one device?  Any idea the cost?

Not sure of exact speed but about equivalent to old 2400 baud modem speeds.    I've had no problems streaming movies and/or WiFi calling.      Speeds will also depend on where the ship is located and how many are using it.    Busiest early morning an just before dinner.

3 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

I ran into this several years ago when I first took my iphone on a cruise.  Normally I would leave it in the car but because of something going on at home I took it.  The charges didn't quite rise to the horrendous level but they were enough to get my attention.  😀

But now we're being pushed to use the app on board.  Will the app work in airplane mode or must we remember to enable it when leaving the ship?

All you need is WIFI for the app to work. Put your phone in airplane mode and enable WIFI, connect to the app and you are all set.

47 minutes ago, markeb said:

There are still multiple generations of iPhones out there right now. So keeping up with hardware only things, or software that applies different functionality to different hardware versions, will drive you nuts. In fact, I just noticed the OP never mentioned her iPhone model (or IOS version...), so we're all answering based on our own configurations...

And I'm not even going to go to Android!

iPhone 6 running 12.5.2.  I tested recommendations made here earlier this morning and am comfortable that I won't have an issue.  My iPhone usage is very basic.  I expect a large percentage of at least older cruisers are the same.  I wouldn't expect X to comment on every model and iteration of phone but a general comment and instruction on the issue is not unreasonable in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

iPhone 6 running 12.5.2.  I tested recommendations made here earlier this morning and am comfortable that I won't have an issue.  My iPhone usage is very basic.  I expect a large percentage of at least older cruisers are the same.  I wouldn't expect X to comment on every model and iteration of phone but a general comment and instruction on the issue is not unreasonable in my opinion.

I agree. Generally speaking, airplane mode and Wi-Fi on accomplishes what you need on the ship. Voice and data roaming off the ship is really a carrier question. And sounds like you found the settings we were suggesting, but some other recommendations probably don’t apply to iPhone 6. 

There’s some mixed messaging on iOS updates on the 6, so keep an eye out. You may be able to jump from 12 to 15; they weren’t upgradable to 13 or 14. I’m kind of amazed the battery hasn’t crapped out on you…

I know it sounds a little strange and will probably raise some eyebrows, but I am nearing the end of a fairly successful 40+ year career in IT.  But that has been almost exclusively with mainframes and mid-range servers plus a couple of forays into networking and {shudder} helpdesk management.  I've never had any direct responsibility for the cloud or cell technology.  Unlike some folks I know in the field I do not live and breath this stuff.  I don't subscribe to ComputerWorld or PCMag.  When I disconnect I put my work laptop in a corner and leave the room.

When I first opened this thread I pretty much knew the answer but decided to follow through.  Technology changes as often as I change socks.  When I had my roaming problem several years back I went into airplane mode thinking that's all there was to it.  But in reality I had to drill down deeper in settings to really disable it.  That was on an old i4.  So I figured it might be worth it to shoot for some verification this time.

Thanks for all the responses.  They ranged a bit further than my needs but hopefully were helpful to others.