Cruises Being Allowed to Depart Yet

chocolabmom

Is there any update on whether or not cruises are being allowed to depart from San Juan?  We have Vision of the Seas scheduled for September 12, 2021 and I still see that cruise ships are not being allowed in Puerto Rico.  Does anyone have any new information?

3 hours ago, chocolabmom said:

Is there any update on whether or not cruises are being allowed to depart from San Juan?  We have Vision of the Seas scheduled for September 12, 2021 and I still see that cruise ships are not being allowed in Puerto Rico.  Does anyone have any new information?

We are booked on vision Oct 10th and explorer Dec 26th.  I have my doubts vision will sail but I'd love to be proven wrong! Seems everything is going much better in Puerto Rico. Cases are down, If vaccinated no testing requirements to enter, things back to full capacity, no face diapers if fully vaccinated etc. I'd love to hear some news regarding San Juan sailings

I really don't understand the resistance around testing even if vaccinated. We can still get and give Covid albeit less severely and it's less likely to happen. 

But I wouldn't be upset knowing that I'm on a ship that has reduced capacity, where everyone has been vaccinated and required a PCR test. I'd feel

safer both cruise ship passengers but also for the residents of Puerto Rico and the ports of call we are visiting (who's vaccination rates are not as high as Canada and parts of the US and who definitely don't have access to the same resources). That being said I've seen the worst of what Covid has done everyday for well over a year. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anyway, the cruise lines came to a port agreement a few ago with San Juan so we should be hearing information soon: https://www.puertoricoheadlinenews.com/for-august-the-arrival-of-cruise-ships-with-passengers-to-puerto-rico/

18 minutes ago, RG306 said:

Anyway, the cruise lines came to a port agreement a few ago with San Juan so we should be hearing information soon: https://www.puertoricoheadlinenews.com/for-august-the-arrival-of-cruise-ships-with-passengers-to-puerto-rico/

Even with the port agreement cruise lines can't begin, end or make a port call in San Juan without having operating approval from the CDC, which as of now only a couple of ships have.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RG306 said:

I really don't understand the resistance around testing even if vaccinated. We can still get and give Covid albeit less severely and it's less likely to happen. 

But I wouldn't be upset knowing that I'm on a ship that has reduced capacity, where everyone has been vaccinated and required a PCR test. I'd feel

safer both cruise ship passengers but also for the residents of Puerto Rico and the ports of call we are visiting (who's vaccination rates are not as high as Canada and parts of the US and who definitely don't have access to the same resources). That being said I've seen the worst of what Covid has done everyday for well over a year. 🤷🏻‍♀️

That's great to hear. It's a step in the right direction. The first news we've heard about San Juan.

Just saw this on the link that was provided above:

When in August we finally see tourists greeting us in San Juan Bay from the bow, we will have to wait several months to be able to do the same by setting sail from here.

At the moment, it is estimated that by the end of the year the first cruise ships with passengers will leave from San Juan as a base port or home port , confirmed the director of air and maritime access of the Tourism Company, Alejandro Caicedo.

“I would say at the end of this year, to be realistic. If it happens sooner, I would love it to be like that, but realistically, we are looking at between November and December, all tied to how the cruise industry starts up in these next few months ”, said the official.

Here is the link:  https://www.primerahora.com/noticias/puerto-rico/notas/zarpar-en-crucero-desde-aqui-se-queda-para-finales-de-ano/

2 hours ago, chocolabmom said:

Just saw this on the link that was provided above:

When in August we finally see tourists greeting us in San Juan Bay from the bow, we will have to wait several months to be able to do the same by setting sail from here.

At the moment, it is estimated that by the end of the year the first cruise ships with passengers will leave from San Juan as a base port or home port , confirmed the director of air and maritime access of the Tourism Company, Alejandro Caicedo.

“I would say at the end of this year, to be realistic. If it happens sooner, I would love it to be like that, but realistically, we are looking at between November and December, all tied to how the cruise industry starts up in these next few months ”, said the official.

Here is the link:  https://www.primerahora.com/noticias/puerto-rico/notas/zarpar-en-crucero-desde-aqui-se-queda-para-finales-de-ano/

I've had my doubts that vision will sail from san Juan. Just wish royal would make it official so we can pull the trigger on something else as we are tied to that specific week

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like we should be all set for January, which will be a great thing. Would have sailed in March 2020 from San Juan but we know what happened. Hope everyone gets to sail later this year as planned.

• 4 weeks later...