Im not sure IVs r as different from regular balconies as many suggest

KKB

15 hours ago, KKB said:

This is the balcony on the Carnival Vista.

Yes, it appears the walls can open to another balcony--I doubt THAT many of us use that feature.

There is a few inches of space at the top of the wall. 

But if that wall went to the ceiling, when the top window is down, they are VERY similar.

Yeah, it doesn't compensate for the loud mechanism, no way to be out on the balcony w/o the room filling with light & the A/C thing...

Perhaps those r the things that are the big issues?

Thanks KKB, you gave me the motivation to call X/BCC to change rooms.  I've been reading resumed Edge reviews/trip reports that many found it was too hot and humid to even consider lowering the IV window.  On our sailing one porthole view veranda became available and I was able to book it.

image.png.bcc97d3ef6c72400931bcfb3e055cd7b.png

7 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks KKB, you gave me the motivation to call X/BCC to change rooms.  I've been reading resumed Edge reviews/trip reports that many found it was too hot and humid to even consider lowering the IV window.  On our sailing one porthole view veranda became available and I was able to book it.

Was looking at those for an edge cruise.  Would be interested in photos and review after your cruise. 

7 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Yes, we have that booked for March on Apex.

It eliminates some of the issues w/ no upper window. 

DO realize the balcony is narrower in these & the chairs must face sideways.

Hey, I had an IV booked for the 31st & SV came up so I changed!!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Does anyone know if the Porthole view with Veranda connect to next Veranda? That might be an option for me if I wanted to go back on the Edge.

Maybe, but possibly minimally, the opening is not as wide as on the S class ships as I recall.  I asked the steward if there was a way to connect balconies, and he thought it could be done but people on both sides had to give permission and I didn’t know the people next to me. So I don’t really have a good photo, but you can see that there is an openable door between the balconies.

7FD096DB-D8A1-45B0-BF12-97C10020B577.jpeg

I was today years old when I learned IV meant Infinite Veranda. I thought everyone meant it as 4 here, like Celebrity had some special class IV staterooms. 

11 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Does anyone know if the Porthole view with Veranda connect to next Veranda? That might be an option for me if I wanted to go back on the Edge.

I looked up rooms on the cabin selector and I saw a couple porthole veranda rooms having a connecting room which looks like porthole veranda too.

29 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Those rooms (such as 6103 and 6105) are connecting  but the connecting door is inside the room.

Our connecting rooms in the IV had a door inside the cabin to connect and it looks like the veranda with the porthole will connect to the next veranda outside.

Meh. We have one booked on Aug. 28. I see them as somewhere between a balcony and an oceanview.

If you could only get oceanview, this would be an upgrade, with a floor to ceiling window that opens — but probably not as nice as a normal balcony.

As we have balconies for our next three trips, I'm willing to see whether this is cool concept or not. We do spend time on the balcony (obviously, it's why we book them) but don't live on them. Mostly morning coffee and pre-dinner beverage (and sometimes when sailing in/out of port). So this may work just fine for us. I hope we get a cabin with the bed near the bathroom, as it seems like that would open the cabin space up more.

Either way, I'm sure I'll share my opinion. That having been said, with two ships (and more on the way) already using this feature, it seems like it is here to stay.

• Thanks 1

I Am quite happy that X refers to the 'extra area' in IV's as Infinite 'Veranda's' and NOT Infinite 'Balconies' as structurally and by definition they have, in reality, two (2) different meanings and applications.

It is fair to compare them as being different based on the definition(s) and structures, yet IMO not fair to force them into the same category of structure(s) for definition purposes. Again IMO.

So those who "re-iterate" that IV's are not balconies and visa-versa are quite correct and begs the question, from me, what is the issue? If one does not care for veranda's so be it. No need to compare them on any other basis but that one and not what X or anyone else might consider them to be.

bon voyage