Didja Ever Menu Items

bobbismith

1 minute ago, bobbismith said:

Fun topic, I hope.  Are the Didja items still on the menus? What items do you look forward to?

Thanks, Bobbi

What's that? Are you talking about the more unusual food items section like escargot and frogs legs, neither which at unusual at the least?  

• Like 1

Just now, kwokpot said:

Then just list it as a menu choice in the appropriate section. There's no point in highlighting it unless you want to purposely underestimate your customer base. The items in that section are no more exotic than what's in JiJi's or Blue Iguana or the Indian selections (Why aren't those food items considered Exotic?).  

Ox tongue, escargot, alligator, are some examples of didjas. We eat out a lot and there are still plenty of people that haven't these things. My dw has not tried the ox tongue yet and we have been on several cruises. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Ox tongue, escargot, alligator, are some examples of didjas. We eat out a lot and there are still plenty of people that haven't these things. My dw has not tried the ox tongue yet and we have been on several cruises. 

Yep, I’ve never had ox tongue until it was offered on a carnival menu. It’s not something served in my area. I thoroughly enjoy it. Never ceases to amaze me what people choose to gripe about. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

Yep, I’ve never had ox tongue until it was offered on a carnival menu. It’s not something served in my area. I thoroughly enjoy it. Never ceases to amaze me what people choose to gripe about. 

My point isn't that it shouldn't be on the menu, it's that it doesn't need to be in a special section. 

12 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Isn’t there some sort of duck too? I seem to remember it being good as well as the other things you’ve listed. 

The American Table Menu changed the "Didja ever" selections to Rare Finds.

I did notice it on Pride back in Jan. 2020.   Basically the same foods as before.

Apparently Carnival believes it needs a special category.....LOL.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, sgttami said:

I did notice it on Pride back in Jan. 2020.   Basically the same foods as before.

Here's a photo from another thread which shows you correctly named the section, which I had forgotten it's name.  

0641D14F-54F2-497A-BF23-FEB9E11174A3.thu

15 minutes ago, sgttami said:

None of these are items you'd find at Golden Corral, or Olive Garden, or Applebees.  And since for many small towns those ARE the top restaurants, and there's a Yuck factor for some, "Rare Finds" is probably a good category.

Those of you from major cities, probably not so rare, but I'd hazard to guess you eat any of them frequently.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I havent heard of frog gigging since my uncles when I was small. So I'll always try the frog which has tons of garlic. A fishy taste mixed with garlic but kinda like chicken. Used to be able to buy frog in the freezer section and rabbit. Now it's not there. I would say it's the opposite and that we have gotten away from these foods.

Of course I havent seen squirrel stew, I hear needs a lot of cooking so it's not tough.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sgttami said:

I remember the Rare Finds title now.... excited to cruise in Nov and wanted something fun to talk about. 

• Like 2

I loved in hawaii so was well aware you couldnt catch turtles and eat them, illegal so I was surprised in the caymans there is a turtle farm where you can eat turtle. 

I think the world of foods is shrinking and go and try these foods while you still can. One you wouldnt be allowed.

In florida there was alligator season. If people werent limited they would catch them to sell their skins so this is another item I try while I can. 

29 minutes ago, bobbismith said:

I remember the Rare Finds title now.... excited to cruise in Nov and wanted something fun to talk about. 

Yes.  A fun topic.

I don't care where or what section they put it in on the menu,  just don't take them away.  

I like to try new foods on cruises and alligator bites, frogs legs and oxtail are not part of my daily eating habits at home.

I'd rather talk about about new and funky foods and cruising again.  Tired of masks, vaccines and people constantly whining about everything.  

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I loved in hawaii so was well aware you couldnt catch turtles and eat them, illegal so I was surprised in the caymans there is a turtle farm where you can eat turtle. 

Here's a photo from my Sept. 26, 2019 Carnival Legends Hawaii cruise Hilo port stop. Blacksand beach with Giant turtles. It was so amazing!

IMG_20191002_140001.jpg

IMG_20191010_164313_939.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Here's a photo from my Sept. 26, 2019 Carnival Legends Hawaii cruise Hilo port stop. Blacksand beach with Giant turtles. It was so amazing!

IMG_20191002_140001.jpg

Punalu‘u Beach?  Loved it from our 1999 honeymoon.  We drove around the island for about 12 hours.  Find a way to view Waipio Valley on the north side if you haven’t already.  Only place in my life I almost simultaneously fainted and cried at the same time.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Tjzig6GL9yvotCM86

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Punalu‘u Beach?  Loved it from our 1999 honeymoon.  We drove around the island for about 12 hours.  Find a way to view Waipio Valley on the north side if you haven’t already.  Only place in my life I almost simultaneously fainted and cried at the same time.

Yes! We always rent a car and drive the Chain of Craters Rd in Volcanos National Park. This most recent trip was the 1st time we stopped at this beach and saw the turtles in the wild. 

• Like 1

On the Vista last week they were calling the alligator "Alligator Beignets".  Did not see them so do not know what it really was.  Saw Ox tongue and escargot and frog legs on the menus.  Some nights didn't have a Rare Find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

IMG_20191002_140001.jpg

17 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

I lived not loved ...lived there 10 years. Been to all the islands. 

...though I never one time saw hilo when it wasnt pouring rain. Rainy side.

I lived out in the country, hauuula 

I did celebrity to hawaii ... not exactly by choice, unethical ta who stole our money..I booked route trip on rcl, not one way celebrity. But got back to visit old bf etc. Its sure changed.

Went to islands on celebrity. 

1 hour ago, sgttami said:

Yes.  A fun topic.

I don't care where or what section they put it in on the menu,  just don't take them away.  

I like to try new foods on cruises and alligator bites, frogs legs and oxtail are not part of my daily eating habits at home.

I'd rather talk about about new and funky foods and cruising again.  Tired of masks, vaccines and people constantly whining about everything.  

I love to try new things! I do not believe I have had the oxtail. Looking forward to it. Also, looking forward to the steakhouse!

Bobbi

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, funinthesun1964 said:

Didn't care to try any of the items on the "Didja ever" list, except escargot.  Was that really on the "Didja list"?  

Well... they are snails, and Carnival's were the most slimy I ever had.  I'd like to see them expand the selection.  The rotating selection just seems like stuff that we Americans joke about in terms of "YOU ATE WHAT???".  If they want to really offer rare finds, I'd like to see them add things like shark, zebra, kudu, bird's nest soup, muktuk, fried tarantula/grasshopper...

7 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

If they want to really offer rare finds, I'd like to see them add things like shark, zebra, kudu, bird's nest soup, muktuk, fried tarantula/grasshopper...

Rarer still would be if Carnival purchased any of this "stuff."