Didja Ever Menu Items

bobbismith

8 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Well... they are snails, and Carnival's were the most slimy I ever had.  I'd like to see them expand the selection.  The rotating selection just seems like stuff that we Americans joke about in terms of "YOU ATE WHAT???".  If they want to really offer rare finds, I'd like to see them add things like shark, zebra, kudu, bird's nest soup, muktuk, fried tarantula/grasshopper...

Definitely would not try any of the items you listed.  But hey, if they do ever have those items, go for it!

43 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I lived not loved ...lived there 10 years. Been to all the islands. 

...though I never one time saw hilo when it wasnt pouring rain. Rainy side.

10 years is amazing.  I’m sure so much has changed since we were there.  Did not have rain in our brief stop in Hilo.  Rainbow Falls and what we saw of the East Coast was forgettable.  North side cliffs, South/Central volcano & black sand beach mentioned bykwokpot all great.  Also loved Captain Cook and activities in Kona.

Edited by TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail

4 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Well... they are snails, and Carnival's were the most slimy I ever had.  I'd like to see them expand the selection.  The rotating selection just seems like stuff that we Americans joke about in terms of "YOU ATE WHAT???".  If they want to really offer rare finds, I'd like to see them add things like shark, zebra, kudu, bird's nest soup, muktuk, fried tarantula/grasshopper...

That's my whole point about this menu section. It's includes items that may have been rare finds back in the'60s & '70s. Yet you have eel sushi in Bonsai and black bean sauce (and no,it's not the same black beans you find in Latin cuisine- it's looks and tastes nothing alike) at the Mongolian wok and no one goes oooh,how exotic. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cruise Related said:

Yep, I’ve never had ox tongue until it was offered on a carnival menu. It’s not something served in my area. I thoroughly enjoy it. Never ceases to amaze me what people choose to gripe about. 

They sell "ox" tongue every where.your just not ethnic enough I guess.we grew up eating it regularly 50 years ago it was dirt cheap like ox tails now it's at a premium.

• Like 1

Haven't had this on a cruise - but some "rare finds" I've had when traveling include kanagroo and crocodile (both in Australia). They also had whole grilled squids and octopus on a stick in Japan, but couldn't bring myself to eat it. 

10 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

I have liked everything I have tried with the exception of the alligator. The batter crust was hard and the meat was dry. Maybe it would taste better in a beignet as you mentioned.

Not in my experience

8 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Haven't had this on a cruise - but some "rare finds" I've had when traveling include kanagroo and crocodile (both in Australia). They also had whole grilled squids and octopus on a stick in Japan, but couldn't bring myself to eat it. 

Octopus and squid are really good, if cooked right.

I do agree with vicky3vicky that alligator can be dry . breading the thing makes it easy to overcook.  And all the olive oil they float the snails in tends to grease them up.  Guess they just want you to slide them down your throat, not chew.

Edited by crewsweeper

7 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I do agree with vicky3vicky that alligator can be dry . breading the thing makes it easy to overcook.  And all the olive oil they float the snails in tends to grease them up.  Guess they just want you to slide them down your throat, not chew.

I've had Octopus and squid in dishes... But this is along the lines of what we saw in Japan. And I was too freaked out by how it looked to eat it. 

octopus.jpg

squid.jpg

7 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Octopus and Squid are also Italian meals. Does the Italian pay restaraunt serve this? They seem to be specialties. 

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

I've had Octopus and squid in dishes... But this is along the lines of what we saw in Japan. And I was too freaked out by how it looked to eat it. 

octopus.jpg

squid.jpg

Uhhhh....no thank you. I'll pass on those things. 🤢

16 minutes ago, florida eagle said:

Octopus and Squid are also Italian meals. Does the Italian pay restaraunt serve this? They seem to be specialties. 

You'll find it in Spain too, at tapas and Seafood restaurants. 

Octopus is delicious but it's one of the few foods I feel guilty about eating, as if I were eating a dolphin or a monkey. Because that big round thing in the middle of the octopus is mostly neurons.

I would love to see foie gras or another kind of liver pate (such as pork pate, which is usually less costly and maybe less controversial, but delicious in its own right) on the menu. 

I always enjoy the cheese plate after dinner.  I never see anyone else ordering it and I hope it doesn't get deleted. 

Edited by zzdoug

Most people can agree on the good parts: rib steaks, filets, cream, etc. Traditionally the less fortunate in every society have to be more creative to get nourishment from the less desirable parts,  which evolves into a cuisine.  Tripe, tendon, and bones can yield truly sublime soups.  There are plenty of regional American foods I have never tried that might not be out of place on my "wouldja" menu- scrapple, various types of blood sausage, etc - but maybe you eat them every day.  Also coffee syrup is something that apparently is popular in New England,  and whose existence I only became aware of last week. 

Edited by zzdoug

• 10 months later...
On 7/12/2021 at 3:11 PM, Love-to-ride said:

On the Vista last week they were calling the alligator "Alligator Beignets".  Did not see them so do not know what it really was.  Saw Ox tongue and escargot and frog legs on the menus.  Some nights didn't have a Rare Find.

Alligator Beignets are kind of like salmon patties or crab cakes but with alligator meat instead

On 7/12/2021 at 12:07 PM, firefly333 said:

I loved in hawaii so was well aware you couldnt catch turtles and eat them, illegal so I was surprised in the caymans there is a turtle farm where you can eat turtle. 

I think the world of foods is shrinking and go and try these foods while you still can. One you wouldnt be allowed.

In florida there was alligator season. If people werent limited they would catch them to sell their skins so this is another item I try while I can. 

I drank a bit much in Vegas one night and we went downstairs to Wicked Spoon and I ate some frog legs as kind of a drunken dare, it did taste like chicken mostly, but I have a strong aversion to frogs (youth, long story) in general and though it was an experience, I won't do that again lol. I still get a little queasy thinking about it. It's a mental thing. 🤢 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Haha 1