Need help from those taking the first Alaska cruise this season

Mary Ann 2

We booked through EZ Air and picked a 10:11 flight.  It wasn't until recently that I realized that is really early.  I spoke to Princess, and she said if they sold it to me, they guarantee that we can make it.

The help that I am asking from those leaving the end of July is for you to let me know when you return what the first disembarkation time was, both walk-off and transfer.  We have a transfer, but I am wondering if we should walk off and get a taxi.  But if we take a taxi, would they honor the EZ Air "Arrival Protection" which says "...you'll...get home if you miss flights because of your cruise or transfer."  

Also would like to know how long it took to get through customs/immigration.

Has anyone made a flight that early out of Seattle?  I would change the flight, but we already used AA mileage points to upgrade the flight we have.

1 minute ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

Since you won't be stopping in Canada, I don't think immigration/customs are factors you need to worry about.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

We booked through EZ Air and picked a 10:11 flight.  It wasn't until recently that I realized that is really early.  I spoke to Princess, and she said if they sold it to me, they guarantee that we can make it.

The help that I am asking from those leaving the end of July is for you to let me know when you return what the first disembarkation time was, both walk-off and transfer.  We have a transfer, but I am wondering if we should walk off and get a taxi.  But if we take a taxi, would they honor the EZ Air "Arrival Protection" which says "...you'll...get home if you miss flights because of your cruise or transfer."  

Has anyone made a flight that early out of Seattle?  I would change the flight, but we already used AA mileage points to upgrade the flight we have.

Seattle airport recently has been crazy.  But they have launched Sea Spot Saver which may help to save you some time.

SEA Spot Saver | Port of Seattle

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Seattle airport recently has been crazy.  But they have launched Sea Spot Saver which may help to save you some time.

I had found this when I was researching, but I don't know how to predict ahead of time when I might get to TSA.  Any ideas?  I downloaded the app so I can see how long the lines are at each TSA check point. Plus we have TSA PreCheck which doesn't operate at the check points for SEA Spot Saver.

Edited by Mary Ann 2

34 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Since you won't be stopping in Canada, I don't think immigration/customs are factors you need to worry about.

That's what I thought but when I was speaking to Princess about my concerns for this flight, she said there would be customs to go through.  We'll see.  That's one thing that I would like passengers on the first Alaska cruise to let me know what happens with customs/immigration.

All great questions.  I was worried about my 11:40 AM flight out of SeaTac, only because we've traveled in and out of Seattle before and those security lines can be crazy long.  But, we also got first class so I am hoping that gets us through the lines faster.  It was actually less expensive that booking on Southwest so, why not? 

We are on the first sailing out later this month so will be sure to report back our findings.  

PS ... we are planning on purchasing the Princess transfers for the way back to the airport as I, too, am unsure if the flights would be guaranteed through EZ air if we took an Uber or taxi.  These are all questions I will be sure to ask onboard.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

That's what I thought but when I was speaking to Princess about my concerns for this flight, she said there would be customs to go through.  We'll see.  That's one thing that I would like passengers on the first Alaska cruise to let me know what happens with customs/immigration.

We will have to go through customs as there are still duty free shops onboard.  However, going to Alaska many times in the past, it is really only a formality .. very quick and easy.  

But again, I will report back in a couple of weeks.  

PS ... I read that the first couple of sailings will be at limited capacity and after that, if Princess can book all the cabins, they will fill it 100%.  That still remains to be seen but with that in mind, our experience may be different from the sailings down the road a bit. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

All great questions.  I was worried about my 11:40 AM flight out of SeaTac, only because we've traveled in and out of Seattle before and those security lines can be crazy long.  But, we also got first class so I am hoping that gets us through the lines faster.  It was actually less expensive that booking on Southwest so, why not? 

We are on the first sailing out later this month so will be sure to report back our findings.  

PS ... we are planning on purchasing the Princess transfers for the way back to the airport as I, too, am unsure if the flights would be guaranteed through EZ air if we took an Uber or taxi.  These are all questions I will be sure to ask onboard.  

I've actually had a flight around that time in the past for my Alaska cruise flying out of SeaTac. I've done it both ways where I've got my own personal Uber and my last visit in 2019 I did the princess transfer. It's fine just take the earliest transfer. To buy yourself some time. I'm in early person that always arrives everywhere much earlier than needed just for precaution. 

I'm on this second sailing on August 1st. As lovely as the transfer was especially cost wise I think I've decided I am just going to splurge on the Uber coming and going. Such more convenience without the hassle of being for around others and waiting for your luggage and so on

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing the info. I have it saved tonight phones home screen so that way I know to remind myself to do it 72 hours before my flight.

Wonder if the TSA precheck is any quicker than the sea-spot saver or is the pre-check just as bad as the normal lines?

57 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

I can't help you out much with the first sailing I am on the second one on August 1st if that helps you. I'm not sure when you guys are cruising to help you out with how early they will start doing the disembarkations or how early they get docked at Seattle.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I've actually had a flight around that time in the past for my Alaska cruise flying out of SeaTac. I've done it both ways where I've got my own personal Uber and my last visit in 2019 I did the princess transfer. It's fine just take the earliest transfer. To buy yourself some time. I'm in early person that always arrives everywhere much earlier than needed just for precaution. 

I'm on this second sailing on August 1st. As lovely as the transfer was especially cost wise I think I've decided I am just going to splurge on the Uber coming and going. Such more convenience without the hassle of being for around others and waiting for your luggage and so on

I like the idea of an Uber as well.  Last time in Seattle, there was a flat fee rate from the pier to the airport for something like $40.  Another time, we caught a limo that only charged us the same amount.  Once, we were offered a 2 for 1 on the transfers so grabbed that and one time, we were going to order an Uber and a small shuttle bus offered four of us a ride for $10 each so we went with that.  It always seems like there are plenty of options for transportation.  I don't know what it will be like now that CoVid has gone and ruined everything.  Plus, with soaring gas prices, Uber might be a splurge, whereas it used to be cheaper than the transfers.

But yes, I love the idea of just disembarking and making our way to the airport without a lot of waiting or being loaded into a bus with a ton of other people.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Looking forward to hearing how processing goes for you out of Seattle.  We are cruising in August and will also be using Princess transfers to the airport --- curious to see what time you get to the airport.  We made our own travel arrangements on Alaska Air.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Italy52 said:

Looking forward to hearing how processing goes for you out of Seattle.  We are cruising in August and will also be using Princess transfers to the airport --- curious to see what time you get to the airport.  We made our own travel arrangements on Alaska Air.

I will be sure to keep you posted!!  Whatever happens, I think we are just going to go with the flow. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I like the idea of an Uber as well.  Last time in Seattle, there was a flat fee rate from the pier to the airport for something like $40.  Another time, we caught a limo that only charged us the same amount.  Once, we were offered a 2 for 1 on the transfers so grabbed that and one time, we were going to order an Uber and a small shuttle bus offered four of us a ride for $10 each so we went with that.  It always seems like there are plenty of options for transportation.  I don't know what it will be like now that CoVid has gone and ruined everything.  Plus, with soaring gas prices, Uber might be a splurge, whereas it used to be cheaper than the transfers.

But yes, I love the idea of just disembarking and making our way to the airport without a lot of waiting or being loaded into a bus with a ton of other people.  

The princess transfer is really are unbeatable it's $29 each way. But I'm not the most patient person when it comes to having to wait for a bus to be filled up or wait for people to all disembark the bus. Like I said it's a little bit more of a hassle I'm one of those especially Cruise day where I just want to get to the point and get right on that ship without having to wait around and waste any time.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing the info. I have it saved tonight phones home screen so that way I know to remind myself to do it 72 hours before my flight.

Wonder if the TSA precheck is any quicker than the sea-spot saver or is the pre-check just as bad as the normal lines?

1 hour ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

I had found this when I was researching, but I don't know how to predict ahead of time when I might get to TSA.  Any ideas?  I downloaded the app so I can see how long the lines are at each TSA check point. Plus we have TSA PreCheck which doesn't operate at the check points for SEA Spot Saver.

At this time, no. SEA Spot Saver is only available to general screening passengers without a trusted traveler program to help provide better screening experience and create efficiency where we have the highest demand. All TSA PreCheck passengers should be screened at TSA Checkpoint 4 in to order still use their PreCheck benefits such as not having to remove their shoes and electronics. All CLEAR customers can go to their dedicated lane at each security checkpoint as well to have their expedited experience. If the pilot program is successful, we hope to include trusted traveler programs in the future!

Looks like TSA is at Checkpoint 4.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I can't help you out much with the first sailing I am on the second one on August 1st if that helps you. I'm not sure when you guys are cruising to help you out with how early they will start doing the disembarkations or how early they get docked at Seattle.

Your experience will help us as we are later in August.  Look forward to hearing about disembarkation on your cruise too as the first one may be more hectic since it's "new" than the second.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I'm so glad to hear that you made it on an early flight taking the transfer!  It seems almost impossible to make it to the airport 2 hours before 10:11am on a transfer, but even and hour and half would be better than one hour.  Like Cruise Raider mentioned I "am unsure if the flights would be guaranteed through EZ air if we took an Uber or taxi."  We definitely don't want to lose that guarantee!!  Of course, I really don't want to sit in the airport for 6 hours either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sprocket said:

At this time, no. SEA Spot Saver is only available to general screening passengers without a trusted traveler program to help provide better screening experience and create efficiency where we have the highest demand. All TSA PreCheck passengers should be screened at TSA Checkpoint 4 in to order still use their PreCheck benefits such as not having to remove their shoes and electronics. All CLEAR customers can go to their dedicated lane at each security checkpoint as well to have their expedited experience. If the pilot program is successful, we hope to include trusted traveler programs in the future!

Looks like TSA is at Checkpoint 4.

Perfection! Watch out TSA PreCheck here I come. 😊

1 hour ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

Your experience will help us as we are later in August.  Look forward to hearing about disembarkation on your cruise too as the first one may be more hectic since it's "new" than the second.

Will do. I've got you covered!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

I'm so glad to hear that you made it on an early flight taking the transfer!  It seems almost impossible to make it to the airport 2 hours before 10:11am on a transfer, but even and hour and half would be better than one hour.  Like Cruise Raider mentioned I "am unsure if the flights would be guaranteed through EZ air if we took an Uber or taxi."  We definitely don't want to lose that guarantee!!  Of course, I really don't want to sit in the airport for 6 hours either.

EZ air is fabulous but I think they guarantee is more for trying to make the ship in time. Not so much for about returning home unfortunately. I do admit that I only will book flights through easier when cruising because I do live life on the Edge by booking flights day off of a cruise but I always make sure I fly in at a time that's no later with an arrival of the 11:00am in the morning. I'm flying all the way from South Florida so I always make sure I booked those 7:00 a.m. or earlier flights for set of the day is least to have a problem.

Does the Princess transfer include luggage transfer, where you collect your luggage at the airport and not have to bother with dragging it off the ship for your transfer?

What time does the itinerary show the ship as arriving back at port?  We had a 4:00AM arrival into Vancouver one time and made our 9AM flight no problems at all.  But that's not SEATAC where the lines are ridiculous sometimes. 

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Except Uber wont help with luggage. At least thats been my experience. Never again to and from airport with heavy bags. . 

31 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Except Uber wont help with luggage. At least thats been my experience. Never again to and from airport with heavy bags. . 

Some do, some don’t but you are right …there is no guarantee they will help you.  We never take luggage we can’t handle ourselves, so we are never too disappointed if someone can’t help us with it.