Hand carrying luggage on embarkation day?

Laszlo

Take what you need and will be comfy having with you til the latest time the cabins can be available (worst case scenario in “the old times” 3pm). There are plenty of places to sit and wait with something nice to sip on and agree with the poster above if the Terrace is a bit busy there is space at Waves and it’s definitely not a step down. 

I have a wheeled carry on as it’s the easiest way to carry my CPAP machine and all the bits and pieces that accompany it and it has to stay with me, I also carry a tote and a small crossover, it’s not a problem. Don’t fret - once you are on the ship it’s all good!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 3:33 PM, Roccaforte said:

If not head to Waves which is usually less crowded and has the best surf and turf sandwiches.

When we boarded Riviera there was no one at Waves. Everyone had gone to Horizons. When we sat down with our lobster and beef burger, we found out why. The noise but particularly the vibrations from the thrusters required to keep Riviera at the dock, were unbearable. May have been a one-of, but something to think of.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robjame said:

When we boarded Riviera there was no one at Waves. Everyone had gone to Horizons.

Well not had that experience   ..interesting

Why would people go to Horizons  or do you mean the Terrace?

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but one reason we keep our larger carry ons, plus our personal items, is that once our room is available we can go ahead and unload them and have that much stuff put away. Usually before the 2 big cases show up. It puts us that much ahead of unpacking. We prefer to be unpacked and organized before Muster drill and be ready to relax and have fun and not have all the cases to unpack at once. 

4 hours ago, Robjame said:

When we boarded Riviera there was no one at Waves. Everyone had gone to Horizons. When we sat down with our lobster and beef burger, we found out why. The noise but particularly the vibrations from the thrusters required to keep Riviera at the dock, were unbearable. May have been a one-of, but something to think of.

Those thrusters would not have been working the entire time you were in Waves. In addition, you’d have heard them throughout the ship.

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Those thrusters would not have been working the entire time you were in Waves. In addition, you’d have heard them throughout the ship.

“The entire time”for us was less than five minutes until the server carried our plates forward and we joined other guests in the relative quiet of the pool area. Not having a working knowledge of cruise ships, we did not question the explanation given to us by a member of the crew.

• Like 1

Embarkation day has always been fantastic!  Love getting on the ship!  We are always so happy that we don't even notice all the carry on stuff.  Terrace for a bite, then a walk around to take in all the sights and sounds of the ship again.  What a great day!

• Like 6

I use one of O's tote bags from previous cruises to carry travel docs, jewelry, passport, cash, cellphone and my laptop.  All other 'stuff' is in my suitcase which I've left with the porters at the pier.  Works well for me.  Off topic, but with all the cruise totes I've accumulated, they are also used for groceries when shopping.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ORV said:

[O]nce our room is available we can go ahead and unload them and have that much stuff put away

According to Oceania, the butler will take care of unpacking, hanging, folding, and putting away, etc.  Has anybody ever actually asked the butler to do this?!  (Even worse, the butler will take all of your dirty laundry 😵 on the last evening and carefully pack it for you.)

45 minutes ago, Cliff-FLL said:

According to Oceania, the butler will take care of unpacking, hanging, folding, and putting away, etc.  Has anybody ever actually asked the butler to do this?!  (Even worse, the butler will take all of your dirty laundry 😵 on the last evening and carefully pack it for you.)

Well at last count there are more cabins without Butlers than with. Occasionally we're fortunate enough to be in a room with a Butler, but have never asked them to unpack or pack us back up. They have enough to do without that. 

• Like 3

I have never asked a butler to unpack or pack. First of all, don’t really want anyone touching my girlie things and if he did put away my stuff, how would I know where everything was?

same with packing up. We don’t close up the last bag until late the last nite. Can’t imagine asking the butler to hang around until then. 

I’m just so happy when the butler brings us a dinner from polo served course by course that I really don’t require anything else!

but then again, I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth, so just having him around is amazing!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, janecambridge said:

I sometimes cringe at the thought of a fire alarm and getting past all those ‘bags’ on embarkation on the terrace.😱 .

most people tuck them under the table or if by the window put them there

we have never  had an issue with people's carry ons

YMMV

• Like 5