Back from sailing out of Athens......

Lois R

Hi, this is just a note about the Athens airport........😲.......I have been to Athens before but never flying in/out of there.  So my first time.  Both ways were really busy and not very well organized (in my view).  Going over, when we got off the plane we did not land near the terminal and had to be put on shuttles (where you had to stand up).....it felt like 100 outside. Then once we got over to the terminal area, of course you needed to show the QR CODE but I couldn't get the stupid thing to come up. I had a copy of my confirmation (I printed it out)......the "official" let me through without seeing the thing on my phone. Had to get someone to help me with getting the airport WI FI connected but for some reason, it didn't want to work.👎.........anyway, so I get through and then........OMG.......the line to get through customs was lonnnnnnnnggggggggg.  We had a BIG plane and they didn't have enough customs people.  The line I was on? 60 minutes to reach the window to have my passport checked........crazy!

Coming home? Got to the airport and omg.....the Delta line was long too but fortunately for me, I was in Business Class and the Sky Priority line was much shorter.🙂.......so, check my big bag and then go on the line for security..........that one was close to 30 minutes.......(carry on, etc.).........so go through security there and then you have to go through a 2nd security.  Finally get to my concourse and when I reach my gate? I get stopped again.......they want to go through my carry on, my shoes and they take my boarding pass😲.......this was in the area before you can go sit at your gate but in the same general area. Somehow I got picked.......others were on the same flight and were let straight through.  Not the most pleasant experience.

thanks for the update. Good reminder to print out the Greek form - I was just assuming I would have it on my smart phone. I tend to be pretty paperless these days but maybe shouldn't rely on it.

Maybe it was just me.......I know most folks were able to pull it up. I was so annoyed about it. I showed the guy all my paperwork.....he just said go ahead through........

44 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

As Greece uses the "red/green" self declaration system for Customs, I imagine you mean the process for Immigration/Passport Check (the usual European phrase) was long.

Good morning Bruce, not sure about any red/green thing........but yes, it was to get my passport checked after arriving in Athens.  The line was slow....slow....slow.......slow......and this was from 1 flight. They had 2 people working.....unreal.  Then they must have realized how backed up it was getting and brought 2 more out but overall, to wait on line for 1 hour? A mess.  Thankfully, the cruise line I sailed had a driver waiting for me. Nice Mercedes too😃

@Lois Rthe "red/green" system is commonly used in Europe. If you have nothing to declare, Customs wise, you go through the green door/exit, which usually dumps out in the "public areas". If you do have something to declare, you go into the red line, which is a Customs check, possible search, etc. 

22 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@Lois Rthe "red/green" system is commonly used in Europe. If you have nothing to declare, Customs wise, you go through the green door/exit, which usually dumps out in the "public areas". If you do have something to declare, you go into the red line, which is a Customs check, possible search, etc. 

I have flown to Europe before (not recently of course) but this arrival was different than anything I can remember. And it was my first time actually flying into Athens......I spoke to folks who just pushed it on to "Greece" and said it is just the way they do things.......

43 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I have flown to Europe before (not recently of course) but this arrival was different than anything I can remember. And it was my first time actually flying into Athens......I spoke to folks who just pushed it on to "Greece" and said it is just the way they do things.......

Lois,  Thank you for taking the time to post here and on the SS Board,  We have been hanging onto your every word as we will soon (next week) making the trek over to Greece to go on SB.  Your posts have really given us encouragement to try SS in the future :).   

Hank

Thank you for the info.    We hope to go in Sept. depending on the covid situation.

We have flown into Athens numerous times.  This is unusual.   Our last trip was in the fall, just prior to covid.   

We have heard the same thing about a number airports.  One of the reasons why we will only buy a direct flight.

We were through customs/immigration in 15 minutes and at the in terminal bank buying euros in 20 minutes on our last trip.

The advice that we have been given  is to take hard copies of everything necessary to get through the process....proof of covid, completed entry forms etc. as well as electronic.  Not just in Greece.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Lois,  Thank you for taking the time to post here and on the SS Board,  We have been hanging onto your every word as we will soon (next week) making the trek over to Greece to go on SB.  Your posts have really given us encouragement to try SS in the future :).   

Hank

Hi Hank,🙂  glad I could be of help. You always have such great information for everyone.

3 hours ago, iancal said:

Thank you for the info.    We hope to go in Sept. depending on the covid situation.

We have flown into Athens numerous times.  This is unusual.   Our last trip was in the fall, just prior to covid.   

We have heard the same thing about a number airports.  One of the reasons why we will only buy a direct flight.

We were through customs/immigration in 15 minutes and at the in terminal bank buying euros in 20 minutes on our last trip.

The advice that we have been given  is to take hard copies of everything necessary to get through the process....proof of covid, completed entry forms etc. as well as electronic.  Not just in Greece.

20 minutes? OMG.......we probably moved about 30 feet in that time frame. Maybe we just landed on the wrong day👎........

3 minutes ago, saltshell said:

So Lois, tell us about the cruise, please.

Hi, I haven't done a review yet. But there is a thread over on the Silversea forum I started before I left and continued to post on it while I was on the ship.......you might check that one out for now.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

20 minutes? OMG.......we probably moved about 30 feet in that time frame. Maybe we just landed on the wrong day👎........

This was just prior to covid.   We typically land at the same time….anywhere from 10:30AM - 11:30 AM

30 minutes ago, iancal said:

This was just prior to covid.   We typically land at the same time….anywhere from 10:30AM - 11:30 AM

We were 2 hours late leaving Newark......they did not make up any time in the air (well, maybe 20 minutes).....we were supposed to arrive at 10:30....we did not get in until after 12. 

I think that if we go to Greece we will fly from Athens to Milos and make that our first stop.  We have been to Athens a number of times.  Might be easier that making our way to Piraeus and taking the ferry.

We can decide after then how to work in  Folegandros and Naxos,  plus one or two  others, with Crete for two weeks being the last stop before flying back to ATH.

Edited by iancal

On 7/21/2021 at 3:27 PM, Lois R said:

Hi, this is just a note about the Athens airport........😲.......I have been to Athens before but never flying in/out of there.  So my first time.  Both ways were really busy and not very well organized (in my view).  Going over, when we got off the plane we did not land near the terminal and had to be put on shuttles (where you had to stand up).....it felt like 100 outside. Then once we got over to the terminal area, of course you needed to show the QR CODE but I couldn't get the stupid thing to come up. I had a copy of my confirmation (I printed it out)......the "official" let me through without seeing the thing on my phone. Had to get someone to help me with getting the airport WI FI connected but for some reason, it didn't want to work.👎.........anyway, so I get through and then........OMG.......the line to get through customs was lonnnnnnnnggggggggg.  We had a BIG plane and they didn't have enough customs people.  The line I was on? 60 minutes to reach the window to have my passport checked........crazy!

Coming home? Got to the airport and omg.....the Delta line was long too but fortunately for me, I was in Business Class and the Sky Priority line was much shorter.🙂.......so, check my big bag and then go on the line for security..........that one was close to 30 minutes.......(carry on, etc.).........so go through security there and then you have to go through a 2nd security.  Finally get to my concourse and when I reach my gate? I get stopped again.......they want to go through my carry on, my shoes and they take my boarding pass😲.......this was in the area before you can go sit at your gate but in the same general area. Somehow I got picked.......others were on the same flight and were let straight through.  Not the most pleasant experience.

Thanks for the info. This was for the non-EU passport line correct? I’m guessing the EU line was much faster? 

8 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

Thanks for the info. This was for the non-EU passport line correct? I’m guessing the EU line was much faster? 

Yes, it was the Non-EU line.......and yes, when I looked over to the area for those in the EU, the line....

I didn't see a line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Yes, it was the Non-EU line.......and yes, when I looked over to the area for those in the EU, the line....

I didn't see a line.

Not uncommon for no line for the EU line...for a couple of reasons. The main one being you probably arrived fairly early in the day...probably before 9, or maybe 10, when the the majority of the flights from the US, Canada, and possibly other further away countries arrive, and very few from the EU arrive.

13 hours ago, saltshell said:

Checked you Silversea thread. Thanks Lois.  Looks like you really enjoyed the ship 

Good morning, I loved her........🙂..well, not in the past, I love her. She is a beautiful ship for sure.