Passport Processing Update for adults

4 minutes ago, karmamule said:

Adding in my timeline: I sent in an expedited passport renewal on July 6, want to processing in July 10 and received my new passport on August 6. Their processing estimate of up to 12 weeks for expedited is VERY conservative. 

I mailed my application late March and had the new passport in hand four weeks later, regular processing. It seems from what we are hearing that the wait times are all over the map.

I mailed mine in two-day priority and they got it on 4/23. Took until 6/3 for them to "receive it" (in the NH processing center). When I applied it was 6-10 weeks for regular plus four for mailing. Once I hit 15 weeks I e-mailed my senator's case work office and surprise surprise, passport got switched to "expedited" and "approved" yesterday and should be here today, UPS next-day mail (without paying any additional fees).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rmr236 said:

I mailed mine in two-day priority and they got it on 4/23. Took until 6/3 for them to "receive it" (in the NH processing center). When I applied it was 6-10 weeks for regular plus four for mailing. Once I hit 15 weeks I e-mailed my senator's case work office and surprise surprise, passport got switched to "expedited" and "approved" yesterday and should be here today, UPS next-day mail (without paying any additional fees).

We went to the Passport Office at the county courthouse in person to submit our application since our daughter was transitioning from a child to an adult. After two months we got a letter saying the application was "suspended" pending further information! You could not get them to respond by email due to the "sensitive nature of information in the application". Phone number listed in the letter is always busy or in a message loop. No voice mail to leave a message. We contacted our Congressman's district office yesterday. Resolved same day and in the mail to us. The caseworker said they are getting a lot of complaints about passport applications.

Edited by CruiszBug

On 8/6/2021 at 10:05 PM, jrapps said:

We just got our renewals back. We sent them in Priority Express, did Expedited service, and paid for the Priority Express return shipping. Took exactly 4 weeks. I was shocked it was so fast.

I did the same and got mine back in 3 weeks. Definitely the way to go. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 8:06 AM, rmr236 said:

How do you find out what processing center it went to?

3 hours ago, eggnoodle said:

How do you find out what processing center it went to?

If you look at your Application Locator number the first 2 digits would be the processing center.

so if it starts with 68 it would be New Hampshire.

This is a list of site codes compiled by the detectives over on a Flyer forum. How accurate it is?  No one really knows.

10: Boston

17:???
34: Charleston/Tucson
42: New Orleans
51: Miami
55: Dallas
57: San Francisco
61/79: Tucson
68: New Hampshire
74: Atlanta
78: El Paso 

79:Houston

Edited by alexgtp

37 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

If you look at your Application Locator number the first 2 digits would be the processing center.

This is a list of site codes compiled by the detectives over on a Flyer forum. How accurate it is?  No one really knows.

Thanks for the info. Mine starts with 58. Would you know where the location?

55 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

Child passport with application locator 19 is being mailed from Tucson.  Ironically we live in New Hampshire. 

I mailed my passport renewal in on April 27th, took until June 6th to show it was received and in processing.  I called June 21st to have it expedited.  The woman took my credit card information and stated she would pass the information along to the processing center (mine is being processed in NH) and it was up to them whether they expedite it or not.  If they felt they could get it back to me being processing in normal time (my cruise is Sept 4th) then they may not expedite it and the only way for me to know is to watch my credit card to see if it has been charged.  I waited another month after still seeing it say being processed and no charge on my credit card to call again.  The woman I spoke to this time gave me the same story and said I still had plenty of time.  Well here we are on August 12th, still no passport, status still says being processed.  UGH this waiting really stinks.  If I was willing to pay for it to be expedited, why could they just not do it on my first phone call request.

We did expedited apps, sent then priority mail 2 day flat rate 7/16, they were received and in process by 7/21 and just notified books mailed to us today & delivery expected by 8/18. So just about a month from send out to receipt with expedited.

Edited by palmettostatecruiser
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, alexgtp said:

HAHA WOW.....so my application was sent to Philadelphia (I think thats where it said to send it with the USPS?) from Atlanta, the processing center is New Orleans, but my package is coming from Tuscon? HA WOW

I sent mine normal processing (not going anytime soon, no rush) on May 14th.  It got started "processing" on June 23rd, and then Tuesday I got an email saying it was approved, and shortly after that on Tuesday, I got the shipping notification.  3 months is actually less than what I thought it was gonna be, its supposed to arrive tomorrow.  

52 minutes ago, Minnie526 said:

I mailed my passport renewal in on April 27th, took until June 6th to show it was received and in processing.  I called June 21st to have it expedited.  The woman took my credit card information and stated she would pass the information along to the processing center (mine is being processed in NH) and it was up to them whether they expedite it or not.  If they felt they could get it back to me being processing in normal time (my cruise is Sept 4th) then they may not expedite it and the only way for me to know is to watch my credit card to see if it has been charged.  I waited another month after still seeing it say being processed and no charge on my credit card to call again.  The woman I spoke to this time gave me the same story and said I still had plenty of time.  Well here we are on August 12th, still no passport, status still says being processed.  UGH this waiting really stinks.  If I was willing to pay for it to be expedited, why could they just not do it on my first phone call request.

Oh no!  From what I just saw on the processing centers, mine isn't the same as yours, but a turnaround for me of normal processing from May 14th to August 13th should give you hope! 

23 hours ago, alexgtp said:

We live in Florida. We got the letter from Houston office which has an address in Sterling, VA.🤔

• Haha 1

Our check cleared August 3rd and we got our passports August 9th.     We waited 5-6 weeks for the check to clear.  Total time 6-7 weeks...

These were renewals with standard processing time.

Our son mailed his renewal a week earlier and is still waiting

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I see from the chart above my passport will be coming from New Hampshire. How does mailing add six weeks to the process? I could drive there and back in 5 hours. I am now in the 16th week of this ordeal.

4 weeks from when we mailed passport applications for my kids until they were “received” and “in process”.  My guess - they have big mailbags piled up somewhere and aren’t even opening the bag until they are ready to look at them. Expedited means they get to skip that stage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babyclaytonmom said:

Can I ask how long it took to get your supporting documents back? Received my passport almost 3 weeks ago and still no supporting documents. It said they may arrive up to 10 days later. Tried calling yesterday but never got through to anyone.

My documents were in the UPS overnight letter along with my daughter's passport. (Interesting that they didn't punch a hole this time through her old passport?)

I mailed mine on 7/17, it was received on 7/20.  I got it back today 8/14 exactly 4 weeks from start to finish.  I did pay the expedited fee.  This was a renewal.  I hadn't even realized it was expired until I got it out to check in for October cruise! 

• Like 2

Curious:  

Are people getting them back faster if they have Global Entry?

I just renewed my G.E.

It took less than 48 hours to be re-approved. 
G.E. is for 5 years and your passport number is part of the process. 

My passport will expire before my G.E. does. 

I wonder if when I re-new my passport will it come quicker because I have G.E.?

1 hour ago, CruiszBug said:

My documents were in the UPS overnight letter along with my daughter's passport. (Interesting that they didn't punch a hole this time through her old passport?)

Hole punching adds another six weeks to the process.😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

Curious:  

Are people getting them back faster if they have Global Entry?

I just renewed my G.E.

It took less than 48 hours to be re-approved. 
G.E. is for 5 years and your passport number is part of the process. 

My passport will expire before my G.E. does. 

I wonder if when I re-new my passport will it come quicker because I have G.E.?

It did not come any faster for my husband, though he renewed his passport about 14 months ago. It took about 4 months. He did not pay for expedited and he had no travel plans then. 

• Like 1