Poll on which ports you will cruise out of during the pandemic

cgolf1

How are you choosing what port to cruise out of or to cancel a booked cruise  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Which choice best applies

• Will cancel or switch cruies (port in another state) if the delta variant is at high levels in the state of the port.
    • Will only book a cruise out of a state that the delta variant is at low levels
    • Will not let the level of the delta vairant in the port state impact your choice
    • Choose a port or switch to a port that can set the ship policy to a near 100% vacination rate onboard
    • Just deside to wait this out and cancel the cruise until things settle down again

7 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

So below is from the X website for Flordia. Sentences 3 and 4 seem a bit contradictory, but what is missing from the Florida column is the statement that at least 95% of the passengers must be vaccinated. So the current percentages may work out that way, but the way it is written makes me question the 95% rule in Florida. Am I missing something? 

Celebrity must sail with >95% vaccinated, even in Florida, to adhere to the CDC unrestricted guidelines. If not, non-revenue test cruises, masks and social distancing onboard, etc. would be required. 

Here is the only difference (after August 1 for clarity):

Florida: Everyone over 12 yrs old is considered unvaccinated if they don't show proof of vaccination upon request.

Everywhere else: Everyone over 12 yrs old must show proof of vaccination.

Either way, Celebrity is sailing with >95% vaccinated regardless of embarkation port.

In my humble opinion, choosing to avoid to sail from a port with a high covid rate makes little sense when you consider that a cruise ship is a melting pot of passengers flying in from, not only all over the USA, but in many cases from several other countries. You could choose to avoid sailing from places like Florida but still be surrounded by passengers who flew in from other places with high Covid rate. 

So with that said, the question for me becomes whether I want to cruise or not, regardless of where the cruise sails from. In an ideal world, I’d choose a non-restricted cruise where passengers and crew are mostly vaccinated and from a port with low Covid rates, but that’s becoming hard to accomplish.

My kids (under 12) are returning to school next week, and our county is one of those that has chosen not to enforce mask and other protocols, or give the option of virtual school. Basically for us it’s either they go to school and deal with it or they don’t get an education. Every day life will also have few to no protocols . 

Long story short, it’s becoming evident to me that any cruise, where testing, protocols and vaccinations will be more stringent will be a safer environment than staying home. When the time comes, we will be ready to cruise as long as the cruise line we choose still follows more stringent rules than what the place we call home is enforcing (which are none). 

Currently I have 3 cruises booked: One from Miami, one from Los Angeles, and one from Ft Lauderdale, 1 on a cruise line welcoming unvaccinated guests and 2 on cruise lines offering unrestricted cruise for fully vaccinated guests .At the present time I’m planning on sticking with all of my plans. 

There wasn't really an option that fit our position- we are booked out of Miami late September.

We are in a "waiting it out"  status, as we are concerned with rising rates of the Delta variant and having to  fly into and out of a state with rising cases is making us more nervous.

Things have changed alot (for the worse) in the last few weeks since booking, so still trying to be optimistic that they will continue to change (but for the better) by late September. A few weeks can be a big difference in the situation.

Edit: Sadly, I just checked the John Hopkins covid site for Florida and am much less optimistic now. 

Edited by rodndonna
more info

On 7/31/2021 at 1:50 PM, rodndonna said:

There wasn't really an option that fit our position- we are booked out of Miami late September.

We are in a "waiting it out"  status, as we are concerned with rising rates of the Delta variant and having to  fly into and out of a state with rising cases is making us more nervous.

Things have changed alot (for the worse) in the last few weeks since booking, so still trying to be optimistic that they will continue to change (but for the better) by late September. A few weeks can be a big difference in the situation.

Edit: Sadly, I just checked the John Hopkins covid site for Florida and am much less optimistic now. 

We were/are in the waiting it out phase too, and have decided to keep our early 2022 cruise  for now out of Florida and continue to wait and see, but not the 2021 cruise. We are living our lives, not shut ins, but at the same time don't do something higher on our risk scale like flying to a cruise and cruising. For those that do cruise I don't have any issues with that choice and hope you have great trips. It is just to far out of our comfort zone.

I am curious though why nobody is discussing the number of cases onboard each cruise? Is it against the new rules? I really think that a thread like that would be very useful for those of us that are on the fence and the direction of the wind could blow us either way. I had to go to you tube to get the last Edge numbers.

I don’t really see the port or it’s State as a concern. I see how the Cruise Line is managing the Pandemic is the major factor and will rely on how Ill manage my personal safety. 

im back to wearing a mask in public inside areas and reducing my exposure for the time being. 

yes, I know a number of vaccinated have tested positive but this is now a Pandemic of the Unvaccinated. Time will tell how our communities finally accept reality. 

den

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

We were/are in the waiting it out phase too, and have decided to keep our early 2022 cruise  for now out of Florida and continue to wait and see, but not the 2021 cruise. We are living our lives, not shut ins, but at the same time don't do something higher on our risk scale like flying to a cruise and cruising. For those that do cruise I don't have any issues with that choice and hope you have great trips. It is just to far out of our comfort zone.

For us -we have not left out town since Dec 2019 and are enjoying our lives here as well - and it is now just seeming too wrong now to potentially make our first trip out  of here a flight from one of the lowest infected areas, to the highest infected area in North America,  for a 5 day cruise.  When we booked, it was an 'easy' venture back into flying and cruising and was much less risky looking.

We are looking at cruises from Baltimore in September possibly as we can drive there and seems more manageable. One way or another - we really want a holiday in September whatever that may be!

Edited by rodndonna
spelling

4 hours ago, rodndonna said:

We are looking at cruises from Baltimore in September possibly as we can drive there and seems more manageable.

How are you planning on getting across the border? You can't drive. Yet.

9 hours ago, mom says said:

How are you planning on getting across the border? You can't drive. Yet.

Yeah  - I am (was?) also assuming that by end of September, the border into the US would be open. Sadly with the current trend - even that is not looking as likely anymore.