New CDC Mask Guidelines

PS0DSH

With the newly released CDC mask guidelines that states even fully vaccinated need to mask when indoors… Will the cruise line also be enforcing that on board? The CDC has highlighted Florida as a high-risk area that requires this.

Florida, not the CDC, decides what Florida "requires." As far as Celebrity ships, it's hard to imagine a ship with nearly 100% vaccinated passengers and crew would be considered "high risk" by the CDC. Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Florida, not the CDC, decides what Florida "requires." As far as Celebrity ships, it's hard to imagine a ship with nearly 100% vaccinated passengers and crew would be considered "high risk" by the CDC. Time will tell.

I agree, but all the cruise lines are all saying they’re following the CDC rules and not Florida’s.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PS0DSH said:

I agree, but all the cruise lines are all saying they’re following the CDC rules and not Florida’s.

We do agree. I'm just not sure why you brought up Florida in your OP. It has nothing to do with your question.

I'll wait until Celebrity publishes wheter we need to 

28 minutes ago, PS0DSH said:

With the newly released CDC mask guidelines that states even fully vaccinated need to mask when indoors… Will the cruise line also be enforcing that on board? The CDC has highlighted Florida as a high-risk area that requires this.

My Magic 8 Ball says. "cannot predict now". 🎱

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RichYak said:

We do agree. I'm just not sure why you brought up Florida in your OP. It has nothing to do with your question.

Because Celebrity has several Florida port of departures.  And the CDC has highlighted Florida as a state where vaccinated people should wear masks once again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The cruise lines should be clear on what they plan to do on these CDC changes even if they plan on not making changes. Those boarding this weekend are going to be beyond annoyed if they booked a mask free cruise and then be told that they need to mask up after they board. These CDC changes were on Tuesday, so by Wednesday the cruise lines should know what the plan is. A few folks get paid the big bucks to make timely decisions. Clear and timely communication on possible issues is the key.  

• Like 2

Just looked it up.  This is the first line in the CDC guidelines...

• If you are not fully vaccinated and aged 2 or older, you should wear a mask in indoor public places.

So, if you're vaccinated, you are good to go with no masks.  This is, and always has been, the key!

The second bullet point from the summary of recent changes on the CDC website...

The CDC also lists Florida as an area of high transmission. What is Celebrity doing? They claim to be following CDC recommendations. So.... now what am I supposed to think? 

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just looked it up.  This is the first line in the CDC guidelines...

• If you are not fully vaccinated and aged 2 or older, you should wear a mask in indoor public places.

So, if you're vaccinated, you are good to go with no masks.  This is, and always has been, the key!

The CDC changed their guidelines yesterday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/07/27/covid-vaccinated-americans-advised-wear-masks-again-what-that-means/5385279001/

My quote came from the CDC WEB site just a few minutes ago.  I think the article you're referencing is in response to some areas of the country that have low vaccination rates

The article's first paragraph sort of outlines the CDC's current thinking...

......urge even fully vaccinated Americans to wear masks indoors in areas of high coronavirus transmission isn't likely to crush community spread, experts say – but it might ratchet up pressure on the unvaccinated and encourage businesses and schools to implement mask mandates.

In brief, if you live in an area where there is a low rate of vaccinations, which goes hand-in-hand with a high level of COVID transmissions, then mask mandates are expanded.

Edited by graphicguy

10 minutes ago, Sccoupe said:

The second bullet point from the summary of recent changes on the CDC website...

The CDC also lists Florida as an area of high transmission. What is Celebrity doing? They claim to be following CDC recommendations. So.... now what am I supposed to think? 

Well...if you live in Florida, they're recommending that you wear a mask in public.

I don't live in Florida.  

When I cruise,  I don't  spend more than a couple of hours going through the airport, to the Taxi, to the pier, and onto the ship.  And, that entire trip, from the time I get to my home airport, to going through the terminal, to boarding my flight, to flying a couple of hours in the plane, to disembarking the plane, to walking through FLL, to getting in a cab, to walking into the terminal, and checking in to the cruise, I'm masked!

Edited by graphicguy

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

My quote came from the CDC WEB site just a few minutes ago.  I think the article you're referencing is in response to some areas of the country that have low vaccination rates

The article's first paragraph sort of outlines the CDC's current thinking...

......urge even fully vaccinated Americans to wear masks indoors in areas of high coronavirus transmission isn't likely to crush community spread, experts say – but it might ratchet up pressure on the unvaccinated and encourage businesses and schools to implement mask mandates.

In brief, if you live in an area where there is a low rate of vaccinations, which goes hand-in-hand with a high level of COVID transmissions, then mask mandates are expanded.

Florida is one of those states.

I get you. I don't live in Florida either, but will need to travel through it to board and will be masked up for the trip (pre-cruise). My only concern is not being informed in time to cancel if the masking rules on board change between this weeks cruise and next weeks cruise. 

Edited by Sccoupe
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sccoupe said:

I get you. I don't live in Florida either, but will need to travel through it to board and will be masked up for the trip (pre-cruise). My only concern is not being informed in time to cancel if the masking rules on board change between this weeks cruise and next weeks cruise. 

If anything, Celebrity, which is already sailing around 98% vaccinated, will limit unvaccinated passenger boarding even more.

As it stands, if ANYONE on board a ship contracts COVID, regardless of their vaccine status, they are immediately isolated and put off the ship.  Tracing is enforced with their families or those they're cruising with.

Given we don't live in FL, and we're masked from the time we arrive in the state until the time we embark on the ship, us transmitting COVID is less than minuscule.  

Living in FL?  I would run, not walk, to the nearest vaccine sight and get vaccinated.

Edited by graphicguy

14 minutes ago, Sccoupe said:

At the current time, no cruise ship sailing from a US port has an indoor setting with areas of substantial or high transmission. Consequently, the concern expressed by the CDC over rising rates ashore is not applicable to cruising.

7 minutes ago, Sccoupe said:

I get you. I don't live in Florida either, but will need to travel through it to board and will be masked up for the trip. My only concern is not being informed in time to cancel if the masking rules on board change between this weeks cruise and next weeks cruise. 

Anyone booking cruises this early in the restart should be aware of the fact that health and safety protocols aren't etched in stone. The pandemic isn't over, and there will continue to be changes made. If wearing a mask inside in public areas during the cruise is an absolute game stopper for you, perhaps you should postpone your cruise for a few months and reassess then. I very much doubt that Celebrity will make masks mandatory in the short term, but never say never.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, PS0DSH said:

Because Celebrity has several Florida port of departures.  And the CDC has highlighted Florida as a state where vaccinated people should wear masks once again.

But the two don't go together as far as masking rules once on board. Celebrity will, in all likelihood, adhere to CDC guidelines for cruise ships regardless what US port it sails from. Also, I don't see the CDC providing separate guidance for ships sailing from Florida vs. any other state.

• Thanks 1

My understanding is that the CDC said if the Cruise line follow their recommendations i.e. 95% vac and 5% not vaxed then no need for mask. For Cruise lines that do not follow this recommendation mask will be required. I think the confusion might be the Cruise lines said they would follow the CDC recommendation, but did point out the two different scenarios.  I could be entirely wrong.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

This dead horse has been thoroughly beaten across CC.

If you are asking about Celebrity, I have seen nothing about a change.  We sail on Saturday, so we'll see.

Confident you'll be fine and have a great time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCPIV said:

This dead horse has been thoroughly beaten across CC.

If you are asking about Celebrity, I have seen nothing about a change.  We sail on Saturday, so we'll see.

The Wife and I sail on Sunday, not very concerned...

• Like 2