Vancouver to Hawaii cruises

Just booked a cruise on RCI from Vancouver to Hawaii, October 3-13 2022 Looking for others who have cruised this itinerary. How long after leaving Vancouver did it start to warm up where you were comfortable sitting outside in the sun? Silly question, but at least its not Covid related!!! 

47 minutes ago, Kathleen Kruiser said:

Just booked a cruise on RCI from Vancouver to Hawaii, October 3-13 2022 Looking for others who have cruised this itinerary. How long after leaving Vancouver did it start to warm up where you were comfortable sitting outside in the sun? Silly question, but at least its not Covid related!!! 

For all of the obvious reasons, no one will be able to answer your question with even the slightest degree of accuracy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kathleen Kruiser said:

Without knowing your toterance to weather, it is almost impossible to answer.

I live in Metro Vancouver and for the past 6 weeks our daily highs have rarely dropped below 90F. For a week we were over 110F, with one day hitting 118F. Personally, I prefer the heat, but also can handle wearing shorts until early December, so I would be outside day 1, if it wasn't raining.

Generally, once you clear Juan de Fuca, it isn't temperature, as the wind over the deck is the primary issue. Once you clear Cape Flattery, the ship is steaming SW'ly courses, which is into the prevailing winds. Therefore, the wind speed over the deck is a combination of the ship speed and wind velocity.

After a few days you should experience the NE Trades, which are from astern. This provides less wind over the decks.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For all of the obvious reasons, no one will be able to answer your question with even the slightest degree of accuracy.

Sure it can. The poster asked for people to share their experiences. 

I’ve done the route the other way in April. It really was too cold to like sunbathe and use the pool for most of the sea days. But a lot of that was from the wind. First 1-2 days weren’t too bad, but it def got quite cold out between getting closer to Canada and the wind. 

we sailed on celebrity and they did have quite a few more indoor activities than normal. And they had daily activities that built on each other. So like there was a painting class that did one painting over the course of the sea days. And there was a group that learned a Hulu dance.

• Thanks 1

We did it Sept 2019.  Definitely stepping on deck Day 3 was a hmmm this is starting to feel nice.  Day 4 felt very tropical. I am considering doing it next year once again with Celebrity. We had overnights in Hilo and Lahaina that cruise.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, lobsternight said:

We did it Sept 2019.  Definitely stepping on deck Day 3 was a hmmm this is starting to feel nice.  Day 4 felt very tropical. I am considering doing it next year once again with Celebrity. We had overnights in Hilo and Lahaina that cruise.

Did you sail on Royal Caribbean and if so what ship. I'd love to hear about your experience. Any thoughts on rooms? We are currently booked in JS with large balcony. Considering an upgrade since the sailing is long? Do you think spending more on room is worth it?

3 minutes ago, Kathleen Kruiser said:

Did you sail on Royal Caribbean and if so what ship. I'd love to hear about your experience. Any thoughts on rooms? We are currently booked in JS with large balcony. Considering an upgrade since the sailing is long? Do you think spending more on room is worth it?

We were on the Celebrity Eclipse in an obscured balcony, which was just above the tenders.  Honestly we don't spend a lot of time in our cabin so that is all we need.

The day we embarked was nasty, lots of rain.  The first few days we went down the coast offshore so took a bit of a beam sea, so fair amount of motion. By day 3 it calmed down and warmed up so was great from there on.  Lots to do on sea days.  Dw joined a flash mob, did glass blowing, we were always busy, met so many nice people. Had my youngest son with us, had kids to play with.

Stop in Hilo was great, privately booked with Safari Helicopters and saw the volcano and lava fields, its a must do.  There was a music festival that night, was safe and fun.  I also loved Kona,wish it was an overnight so we could have seen the manta Raya. Great time on Atlantis Sub, enjoyed shave ice and swim on beach.  Lahaina is always awesome, rented a car and did our own thing.

It is an awesome cruise, want to do it again. We have our 30th in 2023 so it will either be that or Antarctica 

3 minutes ago, lobsternight said:

It is an awesome cruise, want to do it again. We have our 30th in 2023 so it will either be that or Antarctica 

Thank you for sharing your experience. I feel lucky to have discovered this itinerary. Although we have traveled a fair amount, Hawaii is not a place we have been and what better way than to cruise to it, we thought. We have our 35th wedding anniversary in 2023 also! Like you we are looking forward to planning for that also. Thanks again.

5 minutes ago, Kathleen Kruiser said:

@lobsternightOh and Happy Anniversary!

Thank you and same to you.  We also added on 4 nights in Waikiki as we had not been for over 20 years.  The cruise is a nice introduction to the islands.  Waikiki is weird but fun, I just love swimming there, though I can barely swim.  If you have never been I highly suggest Pearl Harbor, very moving.

• Like 1