Caribbean Ports Testing Requirements - How many and what cost?

Megabear2

11 hours ago, molecrochip said:

And this turned out to be a great example. Britannia left Southampton heading for Italy (via a couple of other ports). P&O had every expectation of being allowed to dock in Italy but it was the tour policy that was in doubt.

Today, P&O were told that Britannia was not permitted to dock in Italy. This for a cruise that's already in progress. P&O have implemented backup plans and added stops in Alicante and Valencia however they are hardly Livorno and Civitavecchia.

Many will be upset and this isn't P&O's fault.

Totally agree.  They need to have a viable plan B, and on this occasion it turns out it is needed.

Let's hope they don't need a full alphabet plan!

• Like 1

Re excursions it has always been that you can cancel upto 3 days before sailing and the money is refunded to the card you paid with.  Cancellations onboard are, if I recall correctly, refunded as onboard credit.  I have had tours cancelled by P&O and Cunard in the past due to lack of participants and this was also put onto my onboard account.

Edited by Megabear2
Missed words at beginng

I'm sorry, I personally have never tried to do that. My mother used to run a cash account onboard and on the last evening register her debit card at reception and any balance she had was refunded to it. It used to take a week or so to get into her account if that helps at all.

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Re excursions it has always been that you can cancel upto 3 days before sailing and the money is refunded to the card you paid with.  Cancellations onboard are, if I recall correctly, refunded as onboard credit.  I have had tours cancelled by P&O and Cunard in the past due to lack of participants and this was also put onto my onboard account.

We cancelled an excursion whilst onboard once and were charged 10% cancellation charge.

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

TBH Moley for me Valenia and Alicante are far better than Livorno and Civitavecchia, few cruisers need or want to do Rome and Florence more than once.  I cheer when I see an itinerary in the western med that has neither, unfortunately I rarely cheer when reading  a P&O brochure.

Valencia is lovely, never been to Alicante. But I’ve visited Rome and Florence several times and there’s sooooooo much more I want to see in both places! 

1 hour ago, thornegirl said:

We cancelled an excursion whilst onboard once and were charged 10% cancellation charge.

I believe that has always been the case within 48 hours of the tour. You also do not get any refund at all if you cancel in less than 24 hours.  There is often a waitlist for the most popular tours and where possible P&O will refund you if they resell the tickets.  I have however changed my mind on a tour booked before departure and swapped it for something else in that port once on board without any penalty so long as there was a day or two before arriving.  As the tours are not actually run by P&O they understandably have to charge for late cancellation as numbers are notified to the operator prior to arrival in port.  

I have always found them very accommodating - in Antigua once we were booked on a beach break and decided we didn't fancy it in the rain. The tour guide saw us give our tickets to two people hoping to travel at no cost. That evening a letter arrived to say the cost of the tour had been credited to us as the tour guide had recouped the cost on our behalf as he thought it unfair the people we passed the tickets to did not offer us any money!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, molecrochip said:

And this turned out to be a great example. Britannia left Southampton heading for Italy (via a couple of other ports). P&O had every expectation of being allowed to dock in Italy but it was the tour policy that was in doubt.

Today, P&O were told that Britannia was not permitted to dock in Italy. This for a cruise that's already in progress. P&O have implemented backup plans and added stops in Alicante and Valencia however they are hardly Livorno and Civitavecchia.

Many will be upset and this isn't P&O's fault.

I do find it interesting that Britannia was not let in, when the Harmony is allowed to dock this week with independent excursions. The pax have to do a PCR 2 days before they reach port. 

I’m sure there is good reason behind it, but it’s not a blanket ban for all cruise lines 

If this happens on my Caribbean cruise I will be fine with it. They are all gorgeous islands! 

Edited by Guest

On 9/24/2021 at 9:38 PM, molecrochip said:

Practical testing requirements for the Caribbean cruises on Britannia/Azura and also the wider vaccination policy post 31 December 2021 will be announced on 30 September 2021.

They are holding off as long as possible so that they can be as favourable, whilst still being sensible, as possible.

@molecrochip, do you happen to know if this is still an accurate timeline?

Our final balance is due soon and we have not heard anything yet from P&O regarding the logistics of getting off at the Caribbean Ports, so any guidance would be appreciated if this the latest guidance will be shared tomorrow.

Nothing from P&O yet, but this has just arrived from Cunard, perhaps P&O will be posting shortly:

Important information about your upcoming voyage.

In October this year, we will set sail on our first international itineraries since our pause in operations. We continue to work hand in hand with authorities and regional partners in the destinations we visit to ensure we comply with evolving local protocols. We are continually monitoring the entry requirements of the ports on our upcoming planned itineraries and following our latest review it has become necessary to make a change to our vaccination policy.

All guests of all ages will need to be fully vaccinated in order to travel on any voyage departing from 13 October 2021, up to and including 17 April 2022 for Queen Mary 2 and up to and including 17 May 2022 for Queen Elizabeth. The vaccine policy currently does not apply to sailings on Queen Victoria, who is scheduled to return to service on 22 April 2022. Our definition of ‘fully vaccinated’ is a minimum of 14 days following the second dose of the currently approved Covid-19 vaccines or 14 days following the approved single-dose Janssen Covid-19 vaccine being administered. Please note, a single dose of any other vaccine will not be deemed 'fully vaccinated'. Further details of our vaccination and testing policy can be found on our website.

This is a change from our previous stated vaccination policy.

If any guests on your booking will be impacted by this change, you will be able to take advantage of our flexible transfer policy. For added peace of mind, our flexible transfer policy means you can move your booking, free of charge and as many times as you like, prior to the balance due date. Moreover, in order to provide booked guests with as much flexibility as possible we have taken the decision to relax our balance due payment terms on all holidays departing up to and including 31 March 2022, to 30 days prior to departure. You can find our latest booking terms here.

Thank you once again for your continued understanding and support.

Simon Palethorpe
President, Cunard

Hope I'm forgiven for posting this here!

24 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Nothing from P&O yet, but this has just arrived from Cunard, perhaps P&O will be posting shortly:

Important information about your upcoming voyage.

In October this year, we will set sail on our first international itineraries since our pause in operations. We continue to work hand in hand with authorities and regional partners in the destinations we visit to ensure we comply with evolving local protocols. We are continually monitoring the entry requirements of the ports on our upcoming planned itineraries and following our latest review it has become necessary to make a change to our vaccination policy.

All guests of all ages will need to be fully vaccinated in order to travel on any voyage departing from 13 October 2021, up to and including 17 April 2022 for Queen Mary 2 and up to and including 17 May 2022 for Queen Elizabeth. The vaccine policy currently does not apply to sailings on Queen Victoria, who is scheduled to return to service on 22 April 2022. Our definition of ‘fully vaccinated’ is a minimum of 14 days following the second dose of the currently approved Covid-19 vaccines or 14 days following the approved single-dose Janssen Covid-19 vaccine being administered. Please note, a single dose of any other vaccine will not be deemed 'fully vaccinated'. Further details of our vaccination and testing policy can be found on our website.

This is a change from our previous stated vaccination policy.

If any guests on your booking will be impacted by this change, you will be able to take advantage of our flexible transfer policy. For added peace of mind, our flexible transfer policy means you can move your booking, free of charge and as many times as you like, prior to the balance due date. Moreover, in order to provide booked guests with as much flexibility as possible we have taken the decision to relax our balance due payment terms on all holidays departing up to and including 31 March 2022, to 30 days prior to departure. You can find our latest booking terms here.

Thank you once again for your continued understanding and support.

Simon Palethorpe
President, Cunard

Hope I'm forgiven for posting this here!

Hopefully P&O will do the same

so people flying to the carribean HAVE to pay for their own PCR test prior to the cruise - when are they going to email everyone this requirment?   

Can you move your holiday becasue of this extra cost

Also if not vacinnated do you get FCC?

Edited by Castle25

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You have to organise a full PCR test yourself 72 hours before your flight. It has to be done by a clinic not a "do it at home job". You then get tested complimentary by P&O before boarding the plane.

Indeed - MORE expense........Probably at least £50 nearer £100 for a clinic administered PCR Test.. This is NOT what i signed up for in Dec 2019!!

Edited by Castle25

There is a useful document on the website which shows port by port situation with tests/excursions.  Seems quite helpful for working out extra costs to be incurred. Doesn't look as bad a first thought but still could be considerably more expensive if excursions are compulsory to get off the ship.

A-Z-destination-entry-requirements-30-September.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

There is a useful document on the website which shows port by port situation with tests/excursions.  Seems quite helpful for working out extra costs to be incurred. Doesn't look as bad a first thought but still could be considerably more expensive if excursions are compulsory to get off the ship.

A-Z-destination-entry-requirements-30-September.pdf 727.75 kB · 10 downloads

Thanks for this - It is better than I thought.  

9 minutes ago, daiB said:

There was no COVID when you booked either.

But if i cannot/wont have the vaccine and have paid up and have less than 30 days to go, what are my options?  It mentions the flexible options......which means i will lose all of my money...that seems very fair!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Castle25 said:

But if i cannot/wont have the vaccine and have paid up and have less than 30 days to go, what are my options?  It mentions the flexible options......which means i will lose all of my money...that seems very fair!!!!!!

If you cannot be vaccinated or have chosen not to be I assume you will need to speak with P&O or your travel agent if you used one. 

In fairness to P&O all of their sailings since restart have been under the terms of fully vaccinated passengers only and it seemed fairly likely they would need to continue this policy going into the winter.  As an adult who is unvaccinated you are probably in the minority of booked passengers and as such P&O will no doubt consider your individual circumstances.  I would think it doubtful they will make you lose all your money  particularly if you are unvaccinated for medical reasons and booked/paid so long ago.  You are clearly not going to be fully vaccinated at your travel date whatever the reason you are currently  not. Only P&O will be able to help you with this so contact them tomorrow first thing even if you have not heard from them.

If you are unable to get through to them on the telephone perhaps you should email urgently and if necessary copy in the CEO office.

17 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

A-Z-destination-entry-requirements-30-September.pdf 727.75 kB · 32 downloads

Hi Megabear2 - can you tell me where you found this PDF on the P&O website

Click on the New Health Protocols at the top of the page

Click on Preparing to Sail - Tell me more

then a long way down the page in the Before you board Section

in the all other bookings from 25 Sept.... section

in middle of 3rd paragraph click here

https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/pdfs/A-Z-destination-entry-requirements-30-September.pdf

Can't understand why they have buried it there

Edited by davecttr