Carnival cant answer our covid testing questions

For those needing an antigen test check out https://www.emed.com

We ordered from them 6 total tests for $150.  Self administered at home via video chat.  They provide proof via their app in minutes that you can show as proof of a negative test result.  This is also accepted by several major air carriers as proof if you need to return home to the US from abroad.  We planned on taking them with us next month when we sail on the Pride just in case something happens and we needed to fly home.  Glad we bought them as we now have them for this new requirement.

I received them the day after i bought them, VERY fast shipping times.

One Note: These test are only good through January.  Their site says 12 months from manufacturing date, what they fail to disclose is that they made all the kits in January 2021, so no matter when you order the kit is only good til January 2022.  

4 hours ago, undertoes10 said:

Since no one can reach Carnival including my TA, can someone venture to guess when the 72 hour covid test begins and ends?  If cruise is on Saturday, can test be taken Wednesday for Saturday arrival onto Ship which is 4 days from test date to Sail date or must it be done on Thursday which would make Saturday the 72 hour window.?  Is it 72 hours from the results or the actual date of the test?

And B2B, will test be done at port free since we can't get a 72 hour test in the middle of the ocean.

People are really making this so much harder than it is. If it was a Wednesday and you were doing something on Saturday, would you say you are doing it in 3 days or 4 days?

Even if it's 72 hours, if noon on Saturday is your cruise then noon on Friday is 24 hours before; noon on Thursday is 48 hours before and noon on Wednesday is 72 hours before - so it's still Wednesday!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

We ordered from them 6 total tests for $150.  Self administered at home via video chat.  They provide proof via their app in minutes that you can show as proof of a negative test result.  This is also accepted by several major air carriers as proof if you need to return home to the US from abroad.  We planned on taking them with us next month when we sail on the Pride just in case something happens and we needed to fly home.  Glad we bought them as we now have them for this new requirement.

One Note: These test are only good through January.  Their site says 12 months from manufacturing date, what they fail to disclose is that they made all the kits in January 2021, so no matter when you order the kit is only good til January 2022.  

Home tests do not fulfill the requirements from Carnival.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

Just be aware that self-administered tests are not accepted by Carnival.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SCBarker said:

If it doesn't, you could just write it in. Mine didn't have my name on it until I got home and filled it in.

We would have, but, but, but....we already had them laminated, wanting to protect them before I noticed it.:classic_ohmy:

18 minutes ago, kicia said:

Just be aware that self-administered tests are not accepted by Carnival.

Can you show me proof of this?  Carnivals email to us says nothing abut this.  This test is FDA approved and accepted for readmittance to the US from abroad.

Sorry, FDA authorized, not approved.

Edited by Steelers0854

Can you show me proof of this?  Carnivals email to us says nothing abut this.  This test is FDA approved and accepted for readmittance to the US from abroad.

It's not accepted , already seen it from Carnival as well. 

• Like 1

My guess is proctored tests are fine. I think they're concerned with self-reporting tests. 

You're result sheet is not going to show where you were standing when you took the test.

Just now, SCBarker said:

My guess is proctored tests are fine. I think they're concerned with self-reporting tests. 

You're result sheet is not going to show where you were standing when you took the test.

It’s not self reported, they provide you with proof just like if you got it done at an office.

There is some questions as to the acceptance of the eMed test I posted about earlier.  Here are more details.  I still believe that this is admissible, you are showing proof of a negative test in an app by an FDA authorized process by an authorized provider.  But as with anything this could be denied if you read the post from Carnival below.  I believe what they are referring to in this post is you showing you with a test you administered and showing them a test kit with a negative result which is not what this is.  But again, be careful and do your research first.  If you have no other options this may be atleast a viable solution.

What kind of proof of testing will Carnival accept?

Acceptable proof of PCR/antigen COVID-19 testing is as follows:

• Laboratory test record
  • Digital certificate
  • Healthcare record

The results must show:

• First and last name
  • Date of birth
  • Type of test
  • Date and time the sample was taken
  • Test result is stated as "NEGATIVE" or "NOT DETECTED"
  • Laboratory or testing site, and/or healthcare provider details are stated

No self-tests will be accepted and if there is doubt as to the authenticity or validity of the test, and the healthcare provider is not able to be contacted for verification purposes, embarkation may be denied

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

I believe you are correct. I think because there are so many variables he states home tests are not acceptable. Howe you I believe he is talking about those tests you can buy that , like a pregnancy test, that you can administer and read yourself. I believe that a test that is done On camera with an approved test, that is also approved by the CDC, and processed by a competent company would be accepted. As long as it's an official lab result it should be fine but Carnival and the person you get when you check in is who it matters to. 

5 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

I believe you are correct. I think because there are so many variables he states home tests are not acceptable. Howe you I believe he is talking about those tests you can buy that , like a pregnancy test, that you can administer and read yourself. I believe that a test that is done On camera with an approved test, that is also approved by the CDC, and processed by a competent company would be accepted. As long as it's an official lab result it should be fine but Carnival and the person you get when you check in is who it matters to. 

This is exactly what I’m thinking too and what we are going to roll with since we already bought them.  Nothing like rolling the dice!  🙂

28 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

Please share where specifically this information can be seen from Carnival.  Again this test appears to meet all the criteria.

The problem is that it's not on the website, but it is a direct quote from John Heald himself.  I have not seen that walked back yet, but I also haven't been looking that hard.

Edited by Don Kehote
Cleaned up link

10 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

This is exactly what I’m thinking too and what we are going to roll with since we already bought them.  Nothing like rolling the dice!  🙂

See below quote from John Heald's FB post.  It is just my opinion, so please take it for what it is worth, that your tests will not be approved.  A back up plan might be wise.

I am desperately trying to get through all of the questions you’re asking me so please be patient as I waddle through them. 
With regard to testing can I just confirm again that if you are fully vaccinated you can get a rapid antigen test done by places like CVS and pharmacies. If you are unvaccinated you need to get a PCR test.
Home testing results are not permitted
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

Carnival and JH was very clear that at home tests are not acceptable. 

• Like 3

It would be so much easier if Carnival or any cruise line would just say, all tests done at and results coming from CVS, Walgreens, Rit-aid or a nationally certified lab that performed the test will be recognized as acceptable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

People are really making this so much harder than it is. If it was a Wednesday and you were doing something on Saturday, would you say you are doing it in 3 days or 4 days?

Even if it's 72 hours, if noon on Saturday is your cruise then noon on Friday is 24 hours before; noon on Thursday is 48 hours before and noon on Wednesday is 72 hours before - so it's still Wednesday!

And they have the extra room to spare and be accepted from 12:01 AM on Wednesday / Tuesday night

• Like 1

So heres my question with emed…it’s just the binax now home kit but you get a virtual guide.  So who’s reading the test results? Guessing it’s not a lab. Are they giving you a digital certificate simply based on what you tell them on the video call that your dye strip says?   It’s basically a fancy home test then. Not sure I’d trust not getting denied at the port...even though some airlines are accepting it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

Are those home tests? John said cant use home testing. I see he said if the results come from a lab, but how in so little time? Seems iffy.

Edited by firefly333

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Are those home tests? John said cant use home testing. 

It’s the home test binax now but monitored by a video chat.  But they give you a digital email to show you’re negative which is what the poster is banking in as official proof. Certainly a grey area as I pointed out above…as aren’t you the one certifying your own results as the test kit is in front of you and not a lab?

Edited by BroadwayGirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You all know that no rapid test goes to a lab correct?  All that CVS, Walgreens etc does is use the same test kit and it produces the results in minutes. The emed test is administered by someone on video chat with you. They see the results of the test and record it and send you the results electronically just like getting it done at a pharmacy. All Carnival is going to want to see is that some authority verified your results and that you are not showing up at the port with your at-home test kit showing them it says negative. 

again, everyone has to do their own homework and make their own choices. But this test is CDC approved and FDA authorized and if the federal government accepts it when returning home from a foreign country on an airline I’m pretty sure it’s ok for boarding a cruise ship. In addition John specifically addressed this one and said it’s fine to use. 

Edited by Steelers0854

as a teacher they would have us use the company VAULT.  I would log on and a person would watch me spit into a cup and seal the cup etc. then get the results via email. 

that is not good enough? I can order those for free as an educator teaching IN PERSON.