Ruby Princess Hawaiian cruise RT SF Jan 16 2022 Itinerary change

MishelleMcc

We got notification of the change for a March cruise, too. In addition to the Maui change, we noticed that the itinerary says we leave Honolulu at 6pm. It used to be 11pm. That gives us a much shorter time to see things in Honolulu. I liked being in port late seeing the lights. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KruzPrincess said:

We got notification of the change for a March cruise, too. In addition to the Maui change, we noticed that the itinerary says we leave Honolulu at 6pm. It used to be 11pm. That gives us a much shorter time to see things in Honolulu. I liked being in port late seeing the lights. 

That's most interesting.  I wonder why the change?  Honolulu to Hilo is 188 nautical miles.  Hmmmmm

• Like 1

Hmm, Our February itinerary still shows an 11pm departure.  We'll keep an eye open though.  And yes, we too have that Maui change.

• Like 1

Wonder why the shortened stay in Honolulu?  My Jan 16, 2022 cruise reflects the Maui change but departure time is still 11pm for Honolulu.  I hope no further changes are coming.  

• Like 1

Hilo is 188 nautical miles from Honolulu.

Knots, on the other hand, are used to measure speed. One knot equals one nautical mile per hour, or roughly 1.15 statute mph.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/nautical-mile-knot.html

It will take Princess 10 hours to go from Oahu to Hilo traveling at 18.8 knots per hour.

Maui and Kauai are much closer.  So this seems to only affect itineraries when the ship travels from Honolulu to Hilo.

I've checked several itineraries and surprised how inconsistent port schedules are.  It used to be:

Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwili, Lahaina.  The Grand in March is doing Honolulu, Nawiliwili, Kahului, Hilo.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Knots, on the other hand, are used to measure speed. One knot equals one nautical mile per hour, or roughly 1.15 statute mph.

It will take Princess 10 hours to go from Oahu to Hilo traveling at 18.8 knots per hour.

knots means (as you wrote) 'nautical miles per hour'.

The phrase 'knots per hour' means ... landlubber.

e.g. The ship must travel at 18.8 knots...

Just don't get me started on PIN-number, VIN-number, and NIC-card...

🙂

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2021 at 8:53 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Maui and Kauai are much closer.  So this seems to only affect itineraries when the ship travels from Honolulu to Hilo.

I've checked several itineraries and surprised how inconsistent port schedules are.  It used to be:

Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwili, Lahaina.  The Grand in March is doing Honolulu, Nawiliwili, Kahului, Hilo.

Would be an interesting ride blasting through the Alenuihaha Channel between Maui and the Big Island. I've  personally chummed those waters a few times fishing. The Ka'iwi channel between Oahu and Molokai can also be a fun ride. I'd think they'd leave a little more time to be able to adjust speed and have stabilizers out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

Would be an interesting ride blasting through the Alenuihaha Channel between Maui and the Big Island. I've  personally chummed those waters a few times fishing. The Ka'iwi channel between Oahu and Molokai can also be a fun ride. I'd think they'd leave a little more time to be able to adjust speed and have stabilizers out.

I remember going through the Ka'iwi Channel on the Lurline.  So many sick people....It was hard to keep the dishes on the table.  It was a wicked ride without stabilizers.  So much fun.  I almost think Princess takes the long route between Hilo and Honolulu now.