Why did they scale back on Havana on Mardi Gras?

landsear

On 8/9/2021 at 1:57 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Remains to be seen. Currently it is $500 for a cabana for a day.  Guess how

many are filled today?

On our Mardi Gras cruise a few weeks ago they were completely sold out before we ever set sail. I was shocked because they are so expensive. My first thought was that they were overpriced and they wouldn’t sell many. I was wrong. 

• Like 1

I will say booking a Havana cabin on Mardi Gras puts you mere steps from the best coffee on the entire ship. The Cuban coffee in the Havana bar was my go-to spot for coffee every morning, with the Bar Della Rosa for cappuccinos right behind. After one disappointing cup of cappuccino at Java Blue I never went back there.

As for the Havana section itself, we did notice just how small it was looking down from our extended balcony on Deck 12 with that little plunge pool. As these ships were originally slated for AIDA, a Havana section was probably never part of the original plans. Looks like Carnival simply detached the exterior walkway that would have gone around Grand Central (you can see the walkway on P&O IONA) and made the front section 'Havana.' 

On Loft 19, we really didn't see much of anything going on up there on our March cruise, but the Serenity area is absolutely lovely. Fantastic salad bar for lunch each day next to the bar that so many people onboard didn't know about. Shhhhh, keep it a secret! 😄

When I was on Mardi Gras for the Sailabration, I booked one of the Loft 19 suites for the ship meet-up and Almost none were reserved when I went in the morning. A few did get used later in the day, but not nearly all of them. I did think the price was a bit much but that said, the service was awesome. Also I split the costs with as many friends as I was allowed to have there. I will probably book another one for an upcoming cruise on Celebration.

We cruised on RCI last month in Alaska. There were lots of huge family groups on board. I find some people who often cruise on $$ lines, will book a more affordable line with family and friends but want to be able to have better cabin options. Carnival has been increasing the amount of balcony and above cabins for years. My first cruise was in 2012 and my family outside cabin became a balcony in dry dock after I booked but before the cruise.  

On 8/14/2022 at 6:20 AM, WheresWalter said:

I will say booking a Havana cabin on Mardi Gras puts you mere steps from the best coffee on the entire ship. The Cuban coffee in the Havana bar was my go-to spot for coffee every morning, with the Bar Della Rosa for cappuccinos right behind. After one disappointing cup of cappuccino at Java Blue I never went back there.

As for the Havana section itself, we did notice just how small it was looking down from our extended balcony on Deck 12 with that little plunge pool. As these ships were originally slated for AIDA, a Havana section was probably never part of the original plans. Looks like Carnival simply detached the exterior walkway that would have gone around Grand Central (you can see the walkway on P&O IONA) and made the front section 'Havana.' 

On Loft 19, we really didn't see much of anything going on up there on our March cruise, but the Serenity area is absolutely lovely. Fantastic salad bar for lunch each day next to the bar that so many people onboard didn't know about. Shhhhh, keep it a secret! 😄

Wonder if they have this coffee in Havana bar on the Horizon?  Sure hope so sounds great

• Like 1

EVERYTHING is being scaled back. They are trying to fill the ships which is lowering the price to get on. They are increasing the prices of all the add-ons. They are cutting back offerings to increase profits to pay down the debt. Please don't think that the Ivory Tower is the only thing getting cutbacks. 

In a couple months my family will be on the Mardi Gras. For our cabin we looked at a Havana corner and the porch faces a steel wall. Not exactly what we want. We ended up booking an Excel aft corner. We think it will work better for the view and letting the family hang out in our cabin. 

On 8/16/2022 at 5:11 PM, Enryon said:

In a couple months my family will be on the Mardi Gras. For our cabin we looked at a Havana corner and the porch faces a steel wall. Not exactly what we want. We ended up booking an Excel aft corner. We think it will work better for the view and letting the family hang out in our cabin. 

Normally we would be all over booking aft cabins as they are our favorite. But the aft cabins on Mardi Gras are on full display of the pool and waterfront area on Deck 8. And with folks in that pool till 10pm or later, you really don't get much in the way of privacy and it could get quite noisy at times. They look like lovely balconies, but that's one ship we would not book the aft balconies 

On 8/16/2022 at 7:50 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

EVERYTHING is being scaled back. They are trying to fill the ships which is lowering the price to get on. They are increasing the prices of all the add-ons. They are cutting back offerings to increase profits to pay down the debt. Please don't think that the Ivory Tower is the only thing getting cutbacks. 

Havana is no longer the most exclusive neighborhood and has to take the backseat to the new kid.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Normally we would be all over booking aft cabins as they are our favorite. But the aft cabins on Mardi Gras are on full display of the pool and waterfront area on Deck 8. And with folks in that pool till 10pm or later, you really don't get much in the way of privacy and it could get quite noisy at times. They look like lovely balconies, but that's one ship we would not book the aft balconies 

Not true for all cabins, we were in the aft wrap aft excel and there was plenty of privacy from summer landing pool

I commented earlier in this thread and I'm still waiting for my cruise lol. Only a few weeks away though! I will say that while we booked about 18 months out, the price for Havana's  never went down and increased as much as $800. I guess it pays to book these cabins early. Up until last week, there were 3 Havana's still available and now, I assume with the ease of testing restrictions, they are all sold out along with the entire sailing. A packed ship so I'm definitely looking forward to our quiet space.