Question on inaugural cruises

1emerald1

I have a Caribbean cruise booked in March 2022, and with the latest bulletin from the CDC placing St. Thomas and St. Maarten, amongst other islands on Level 4 alert I have concerns that the cruise may not happen.  I am thinking of booking as a back up, the Discovery Mexico on March 27, 2022 which is the sailing following the inaugural.  For those who have sailed on such cruises can you advice what to expect?  Will the staff be trained up properly? Medallion issues?  Quality of food and dining?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

1 hour ago, 1emerald1 said:

I have a Caribbean cruise booked in March 2022, and with the latest bulletin from the CDC placing St. Thomas and St. Maarten, amongst other islands on Level 4 alert I have concerns that the cruise may not happen.  I am thinking of booking as a back up, the Discovery Mexico on March 27, 2022 which is the sailing following the inaugural.  For those who have sailed on such cruises can you advice what to expect?  Will the staff be trained up properly? Medallion issues?  Quality of food and dining?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

First part.  March 2022 is over six months away and things change quickly in Covid-19 world.  With Princess' late cancellation policy, there is no need to rush in and bail now. 

As for inaugural, the Discovery will have been sailing before this trip to Mexico as it has to arrive from Europe.  Also, I have seen in the past that new launches are at least partially staffed from other ships with experienced crew members in all departments.  Sure there will be some newbies, but they get trained up.  Other ships will also get newbies to back-fill the ones who get poached/promoted to the new ship.  Sure, there may be a hiccup or two, but it wouldn't deter me if I was interested in the voyage.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I am not bailing, just looking for a backup in case Princess cancels the cruise, or puts port restrictions in place.  I want to be able to explore off ship on my own.

Any port restrictions will most likely be imposed by the ports themselves 

• Like 1

Initial cruises with passengers usually always have some small issues. The cruise you are thinking about should be OK. The risk is if the ship is not delivered in time and the cruise is cancelled.

Regarding covid, believe Mexico will be the same risk as any Caribbean island. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Initial cruises with passengers usually always have some small issues. The cruise you are thinking about should be OK. The risk is if the ship is not delivered in time and the cruise is cancelled.

Regarding covid, believe Mexico will be the same risk as any Caribbean island. 

Thank you.

• Like 1