I painlessly changed my sail date.

mek

Since the middle of last week I've been on the fence about our 11/28 Oasis cruise and final payment was due a week from today.  Getting tested on Thanksgiving Day and hoping to have the results in time to leave Friday or Saturday was just too stressful. I also plan to have a large family dinner on Thursday - something that several people have already mentioned I should avoid if cruising. While I don't necessarily agree with them, it just seems more prudent to wait until after the holidays to cruise.

I called my TA this morning and was quickly able to rebook the same ship, same itinerary, same cabin for $50 more pp. - a no brainer to me.

We are vaccinated and continue to believe we are protected from serious illness, but my husband and I talked it over and if the DV or anything else is still causing havoc in January, we will quarantine 2 weeks before we get tested just to make sure we don't test positive - a measure we are taking more to ensure peace of mind for us than to protect anyone else.  I know some will take issue with that, but frankly I'm tired of being told I have to look out for others who refuse to be vaccinated.

• Like 20

More folks here need to be this pro-active instead of waiting two days before sailing and then complain and place blame on Royal for their ruined vacation. I cannot emphasize this enough: any cruise to sail this year from US ports is a roll of the dice -- period. It might happen, it might not. There might be more restrictions, there might be not. If you're planning a special vacation or a special event make different plans NOW. Either delay the cruise till next year or choose a land-based vacation, etc. Don't wager and falsely hope COVID restrictions will go away any time soon.

I know we have gone round on this issue.  I am glad you are able to have your family gathering (still available if there’s room!) AND a less stressful cruise.  You know I wish you nothing but good things 😘

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mek said:

Since the middle of last week I've been on the fence about our 11/28 Oasis cruise and final payment was due a week from today.  Getting tested on Thanksgiving Day and hoping to have the results in time to leave Friday or Saturday was just too stressful. I also plan to have a large family dinner on Thursday - something that several people have already mentioned I should avoid if cruising. While I don't necessarily agree with them, it just seems more prudent to wait until after the holidays to cruise.

I called my TA this morning and was quickly able to rebook the same ship, same itinerary, same cabin for $50 more pp. - a no brainer to me.

We are vaccinated and continue to believe we are protected from serious illness, but my husband and I talked it over and if the DV or anything else is still causing havoc in January, we will quarantine 2 weeks before we get tested just to make sure we don't test positive - a measure we are taking more to ensure peace of mind for us than to protect anyone else.  I know some will take issue with that, but frankly I'm tired of being told I have to look out for others who refuse to be vaccinated.

Sounds like you made the right decision. Testing during the holiday sounded nerve racking. As far as I'm concerned if you are vaccinated it's every man for himself if they choose not to vaccinate.

• Like 1

On a slightly lighter note - the original cruise I booked was with a NRD, back in November, 2019 for November, 2020.

When I called my TA today,  Royal told them I booked with a refundable deposit - I probably should have just taken the refund - LOL. 

Edited by mek

6 hours ago, mek said:

Not going to get any grief from me. Enjoy your cruise.