Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

2 hours ago, Barry H said:

Once you make final payment, you can use the Medallion Class app to book a time slot through Dine My Way. There may be options for dining room, private or shared table and dining time. Depending on what has already been booked there may be an option to select the same time and dining room for the whole cruise. If not, you can select each day of the cruise in advance. 

I was able to book specialty and MDR time slots with my cruise not even being close to paid off.  At the time, it was over 200 days until the cruise. There was a charge for the specialty dining.  I checked my credit card.  The charge was listed as "pending" for a few days and then dropped off.  I was not charged.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, damiross said:

I was able to book specialty and MDR time slots with my cruise not even being close to paid off.  At the time, it was over 200 days until the cruise. There was a charge for the specialty dining.  I checked my credit card.  The charge was listed as "pending" for a few days and then dropped off.  I was not charged.

Platinum or Elite?  

Just a quick question. I haven’t cruised on Princess in many years. What is the dress code for dinner. Do they still do formal and semi-formal nights. Do have to suit or sports jacket. What happens if I just where a nice shirt and panes. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 6:07 PM, BamaVol said:
On 6/9/2023 at 10:18 PM, Princess Chatterer said:
On 6/9/2023 at 10:18 PM, Princess Chatterer said:

Currently on the Emerald Princess.  It’s nearly impossible to get a dining room reservation on board on ANY night before 8:40 pm.  

As a test I asked Ocean Now if I could get a delivery in the back of Fresh Market/Horizon Court.  The app said I couldn’t place an order because it didn’t know were the medallion fob I was wearing was located.

Hope this is "dining question" enough for this thread! 

Love the idea of ordering room service, where are some really neat spots to have it delivered on the ship? We won't have a balcony so looking for a quiet spot to pretend we do!

We will be on Sapphire.

11 hours ago, mjfalk said:

Just a quick question. I haven’t cruised on Princess in many years. What is the dress code for dinner. Do they still do formal and semi-formal nights. Do have to suit or sports jacket. What happens if I just where a nice shirt and panes. 

You can read the official dress recommendations at Princess.com in the cruising FAQ's.  

That said, the Smart Casual recommendations will suffice for all nights of the voyage.  And Specialty Dining venues are always Smart Casual.  Of course you can dress up anytime.

• Like 1

Hi

We are on the Island Princess in October, after cruising on other lines since our last Princess cruise many years ago and never on any cruise that you can specify a 20 minute slot for dining.

Assuming we pre book a table for 7:20pm is it likely a table will be available and how long does each party have to finish their meal.

With set dinner settings, everybody in theory starts and ends together, but how on earth can they guarantee that a table will be available when booked? Do they rely on a percentage of bookings to be no shows, with passengers dining elsewhere?

What are folks experience with this ‘duck shoot’ system?

20 minutes ago, peterhof said:

Hi

We are on the Island Princess in October, after cruising on other lines since our last Princess cruise many years ago and never on any cruise that you can specify a 20 minute slot for dining.

Assuming we pre book a table for 7:20pm is it likely a table will be available and how long does each party have to finish their meal.

With set dinner settings, everybody in theory starts and ends together, but how on earth can they guarantee that a table will be available when booked? Do they rely on a percentage of bookings to be no shows, with passengers dining elsewhere?

What are folks experience with this ‘duck shoot’ system?

Same as any restaurant you book at home.  How do you know your table will be waiting at 7:20pm?  Because they won't book someone else in it closer than likely 5:40pm.

That said, you may find you have to wait a few minutes for the table upon arrival.  It depends on how the flow has been going and number of others looking to dine at the same time.  They do handle guests with res separately from walk-ups.

Although DMW does not do this (and cannot programmatically), you can ask for the same table and waiters each night.  Ask the DR Mgr or Host who uses their internal booking app and see if they cannot block you into a desired table and time and then you can just walk in each night to "your" table and have the TD experience with the same wait staff. 

Your time should not be too bad as early diners using your table will be done and they might ask you to adjust your time by a few minutes to secure a set table.  If one of the DR's cannot accommodate, it is likely another can.  Ask early on Day 1 and it can work out for you.

ETA:  I should have stated that since DMW doesn't block guest into same table each night, DR hosts can seat you anywhere at your res time.  As you might imagine, diners are coming and going more randomly than in the old days of two TD sittings per evening.  So, a number of earlier diners will be vacating tables and they open up for later diners.  The tricky part is if you want to secure the same table and waiters each night.

Edited by Steelers36

On 6/17/2023 at 7:37 PM, mjfalk said:

Slacks, button down shirt, tie, sportscoat are  what I wear and I am overdressed.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 10:37 PM, mjfalk said:

Officially Princess is still posting that people are dressing up on formal nights with a jacket but since Covid they haven't enforced any dress restrictions on either formal or casual evenings. Just a decent shirt (even a Polo shirt) & pants are all that's required on formal nights.

On casual evenings many people are even wearing shorts lately. 

Princess has gotten very relaxed as far as dress codes but if you prefer to dress up, many people are still doing so.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 10:36 AM, Dreamscaper said:

I'm 132 days from sailing and just managed to book our specialty dining on the app for us and our travel companions.  Main dining room is available as well.

Update - we were able to book the Crown Grill for us and two guests last week, but trying to book another dinner today, the online version of the app appears to let me book for me and hubby, but it won't let me add the other two guests (it just keeps asking for their booking number over and over again), and the phone app says I can't book even ourselves right now (it rightly says we can't access Dine My Way as our booking is not yet paid in full, and we're not Platinum, Elite or have a full suite or Club Class mini suite).

So it seems that we were not supposed to have been allowed to book, but I guess the system doesn't always know that.

Edited by Dreamscaper
  • Thanks 1

I do not understand how Princess are "organising" dine my way via the Medallion  It seems that it should be called "Dine the way Princess wants to make you"

After full payment of my 55 day cruise I used the medallion app and chose  shared table at 6.20 ev ery day in the Provence restuarant and this was accepted and shown for each day  Happy me.

Not for long   e mails received  one or 2 per day  We love you and want you to enjoy your cruise and to help you do this we are changing your request to something that you do not want......!!

On (this date)  you are now eating at 5.20 on a shared table  in the Bordaux dining room.

I replied asking why this was done and it was not what I wanted.  No reply  until I have returned 6 MORE identical e mails for other dates changing the times I had booked.   Then I got a phone call from a delightful lady who could not explain why this was being done  She had contacted the Coral and advised them we were not happy and she said they did not tell her why it was happening.  She confirmed she had advised them they should not change any more dates.   Today I received 2 more....... Not happy at all   I know I can get on board and chase the dining line but this is wasting my valuable time and also last time we tried to change things via the dining line  they were unable to assist us  and I am certain that will be their answer this time as well.    P..zz .p in Brewery comes to mind and I am upset that I need to keep chasing these problems.

Hi all! I have two questions regarding dining. I read through this topic - and I am not sure if I missed them or not - but I didn't see the answers to my questions. I am a first-time cruiser (ever) - so no Platinum or Elite status, and my cruise is now paid in full. I will be on the Royal on a 23-day transpacific - so lots of sea days. On the app, I can only reserve the Concerto and Allegro MDRs (so I assume Symphony is the MDR for club class). 

First, I've been told that most folks prefer the Concerto dining room over Allegro since Concerto is easier to get to and Allegro is the aft MDR and is only serviced by stairs and the aft elevators. Does that mean it might be easier/faster to get seated in Allegro if I choose anytime dining and do not reserve a spot ahead of time? Other than location and ease of access, does anyone have a preference for one more than the other?

Second, my understanding is that if I reserve specialty dining ahead of my cruise, Princess will charge my credit card. 

I have quite a bit of OBC from the booking deal I received, and I have gift cards that I understand I can apply as more OBC once I am on board. Is there any way to have guest services or Princess reimburse my credit card with the OBC/gift card funds so that essentially OBC/gift card funds are paying for the specialty dining? Or does anyone know of a way to use OBC or gift cards to reserve specialty dining before the cruise starts? I would like to reserve specialty dining ahead of time, but don't really want to pay for them since I will have enough OBC and gift card funds to do that.

Thank you for your help!

23 minutes ago, BaliThai said:

Hi all! I have two questions regarding dining. I read through this topic - and I am not sure if I missed them or not - but I didn't see the answers to my questions. I am a first-time cruiser (ever) - so no Platinum or Elite status, and my cruise is now paid in full. I will be on the Royal on a 23-day transpacific - so lots of sea days. On the app, I can only reserve the Concerto and Allegro MDRs (so I assume Symphony is the MDR for club class). 

First, I've been told that most folks prefer the Concerto dining room over Allegro since Concerto is easier to get to and Allegro is the aft MDR and is only serviced by stairs and the aft elevators. Does that mean it might be easier/faster to get seated in Allegro if I choose anytime dining and do not reserve a spot ahead of time? Other than location and ease of access, does anyone have a preference for one more than the other?

Second, my understanding is that if I reserve specialty dining ahead of my cruise, Princess will charge my credit card. 

I have quite a bit of OBC from the booking deal I received, and I have gift cards that I understand I can apply as more OBC once I am on board. Is there any way to have guest services or Princess reimburse my credit card with the OBC/gift card funds so that essentially OBC/gift card funds are paying for the specialty dining? Or does anyone know of a way to use OBC or gift cards to reserve specialty dining before the cruise starts? I would like to reserve specialty dining ahead of time, but don't really want to pay for them since I will have enough OBC and gift card funds to do that.

Thank you for your help!

Symphony will only have a section for Reserve Class dining and rest open.  I have notice that Princess is often or always keeping one DR out of DMW pre-cruise.  Perhaps this helps them better manage on-board requests.

You can figure out on board whether better to head for Symphony or Concerto for walk-up dining.  They will probably advise you.  Symphony may appear on DMW by sail date.

You cannot pay for SD reservation other than credit card or existing SD credit.  Just book it as soon as you can after boarding and should work and then you pay with OBC.

PS - If you read 1963 posts, amazing feat.

Edited by Steelers36

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Symphony will only have a section for Reserve Class dining and rest open.  I have notice that Princess is often or always keeping one DR out of DMW pre-cruise.  Perhaps this helps them better manage on-board requests.

You can figure out on board whether better to head for Symphony or Concerto for walk-up dining.  They will probably advise you.  Symphony may appear on DMW by sail date.

You cannot pay for SD reservation other than credit card or existing SD credit.  Just book it as soon as you can after boarding and should work and then you pay with OBC.

PS - If you read 1963 posts, amazing feat.

Thank you! And yes, I did read/skim them all! LOL - over the course of a few days, that is! What are your thoughts about the aft MDR - Allegro? Mobility is not an issue for me, so I was trying to figure out if it would be a better option for anytime dining.

On 6/18/2023 at 9:48 AM, Steelers36 said:

You can read the official dress recommendations at Princess.com in the cruising FAQ's.  

That said, the Smart Casual recommendations will suffice for all nights of the voyage.  And Specialty Dining venues are always Smart Casual.  Of course you can dress up anytime.

The first "true" answer I have seen in a long time!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BaliThai said:

Thank you! And yes, I did read/skim them all! LOL - over the course of a few days, that is! What are your thoughts about the aft MDR - Allegro? Mobility is not an issue for me, so I was trying to figure out if it would be a better option for anytime dining.

I think it can be useful if your cabin is in the aft section of the ship, but it is not where I prefer to be.

7 hours ago, BaliThai said:

I preferred Concerto among all the dining rooms. When people would walk up to Concerto without reservations, they were directed to go down to Symphony because they said that was for walk-ins. I also noticed that the line for Allegro around opening time (5pm) was always so crowded that it snaked up the stairs, and it took a while for them to get through that whole crowd.

I wonder if you foodies and savvy cruisers out there know about this little morsel of information I've only recently discovered myself - it's called the Tuscan Dinner....and it's reportedly on certain/select (perhaps the Royal Class ships maybe??) Sabatini's Restaurant/specialty dining. I believe it is about $50 or $60 pp. and I am told they have a special pre-selected menu but will bring alternate food out if you don’t care for what they are serving.  Each course is paired with a different wine and a talk from the Maitre D’ about the wine and region. Unlike the Winemakers Dinner, you are seated with your own group of friends or family rather than those selected for the occasion.

Has anyone heard of this or have information to share???

2 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

I wonder if you foodies and savvy cruisers out there know about this little morsel of information I've only recently discovered myself - it's called the Tuscan Dinner....and it's reportedly on certain/select (perhaps the Royal Class ships maybe??) Sabatini's Restaurant/specialty dining. I believe it is about $50 or $60 pp. and I am told they have a special pre-selected menu but will bring alternate food out if you don’t care for what they are serving.  Each course is paired with a different wine and a talk from the Maitre D’ about the wine and region. Unlike the Winemakers Dinner, you are seated with your own group of friends or family rather than those selected for the occasion.

My recollection and experience is that they held those on the pre-Royal Class ships on occasion.  Perhaps because those ships don't have the special dining section for Lumiere and WMD as on the Royal Class ships.  That said, WMD is changing and have not read any reports of anyone actually doing it (but then, who would for $140/pp when you can do Chef Table Lumiere for less?).

I have been to one of these dinners you describe on Island in Winter 2018.  It was a long voyage around S.A. and they held three of them.

12 hours ago, jchato69 said:

I preferred Concerto among all the dining rooms. When people would walk up to Concerto without reservations, they were directed to go down to Symphony because they said that was for walk-ins. I also noticed that the line for Allegro around opening time (5pm) was always so crowded that it snaked up the stairs, and it took a while for them to get through that whole crowd.

Deck 6 MId-ship is my "go-to" as well.  I believe Symphony is being held out of DMW advance booking as they must be intending it for walk-ups or perhaps to address guests who want the TD experience and they can lock in a table so folks have same waiters each night.  I do not imagine each ship is uniform and can depend on how the mgmt team is running things.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

News to me....sounds nice!

On 6/20/2023 at 4:01 PM, BaliThai said:

I'd go exploring after boarding and look at both of them, plus everything else that's available.  We are usually drawn to a specific restaurant by the level of service we experience.  Friendly, professional wait staff get our vote every time.  On our anniversary, we did a specialty restaurant on our last cruise and the server did not know what Chardonnay was ... and she didn't even know that she should go find out ... so much for the 'specialness' of those places!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

I'd go exploring after boarding and look at both of them, plus everything else that's available.  We are usually drawn to a specific restaurant by the level of service we experience.  Friendly, professional wait staff get our vote every time.  On our anniversary, we did a specialty restaurant on our last cruise and the server did not know what Chardonnay was ... and she didn't even know that she should go find out ... so much for the 'specialness' of those places!  

YIKES!!!!!  That sounds more like being in a grocery store these days than being on a cruise ship. On our last cruise we had one of the finest and most attentive waiters. It was a real pleasure to see him and to be served and looked after by him. Clone him!!!!

• Like 1