Grand Princess & Alaska

JBJ48

Have been on six cruises with Carnival.  All to the Carribbean, Mexico, and Central America.  This will be our first time on Princess and first time going to Alaska, sailing July 22, 2022 on the Grand Princess.  We would appreciate any info/tips on Alaska.  I know the Grand is not in Alaska at this time but also would like anything you can tell us about life currently on the Grand.  Thank you, Jeff & Shirley Jacobs

I love the Grand Class (baby) ships (Grand, Sapphire, Diamond).  Unfortunately, Princess is slowing purging the fleet for bigger ships.  The next size up is the Grand Class (expanded) ship (Caribbean, Emerald, Crown, Ruby) with one extra deck.

She has a wrap around promenade.  When she ports, there are fewer passengers fighting to get off (2600 passengers).  There is a covered pool area for colder days in Alaska.  Unfortunately, she is one of Princess' older ships.  The Grand Princess has two showrooms (VIsta Lounge and Princess Theater) for more entertainment.  She also has venues that you can "ballroom" dance in.  

The Caribbean Princess and the Grand Princess are the only ships in the fleet with Window Suites.  

Now, she does not have all the bells and whistles that the Royal Class ships have. I'm old school.  I don't need those upgrades.

You will love the Grand.  Take a look at the Coral Princess to see if she is sailing Alaska.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Jeff & Shirley,

If you’re sailing the Grand on July 22nd -- I believe you’re taking Tour JB5 12-Day Denali Explorer from Fairbanks to Vancouver, Canada.  Land first (5 days), followed by cruise (7 days).  Very nice cruise/tour.  We (retirees) currently are planning (activities, etc.) for our cruise/tour on the Sapphire for July 12th.

Please a little more info.  What kind of excursions and/or activities are you thinking of doing on this cruise?  Easy activities, moderate activities, strenuous tours – backing packing, white water rafting, etc. 

In the past 2 Alaska cruise/tours, we have tried a little of everything even white water rafting – DW thought we were crazy to do this. There is so much to choose from.  How about a salmon bake over alder wood.  Nothing like it!  In Anchorage, whale watching and the” helicopter ride” to Mendenhall Glacier was very enjoyable (will be pricey).  Check out the Juneau Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Watching combo tour approx. $145.  We’ve done both.   In Skagway, the White Pass & Yukon Railroad I would consider.  Also, Skagway is very easy to walk around plus taking the sights is always enjoyable -- not far from the cruise pier.  Also, I believe it an unforgettable journey to White Pass summit (have your passport ready because Canada Customs will check when you enter Canada).   Hopefully, Canada will have their border open by then. The train leaves not far (walking distance) from the cruise pier.  How about the Lumber Jack show in Kitchekan.  I would highly recommend the 8 hour Tundra Tour (versus the 5 hour Natural History tour) into the heart of the Denali National Park.  We taken the Tundra Tour twice and always enjoy beautiful the mountain vistas, Polychrome Pass (Mile 46), Toklat River (Mile 53), braided rivers and wild animals.

I’m sure others will come up with some good suggestions. Again, there is so much to choose from.   I hope you enjoy planning your trip.  

Also, I would consider the “Port of Call” for Alaska which will provide a more robust functionality for your questions, comments and/or suggestions.  John

We are seniors (70+), who after being on Carnival "fun ships" thought Princess might be a little more relaxing.  We have a balcony cabin on the Aloha deck (12).  Our tour is OB7 (14 days Off the Beaten Path).  We start 7/20 with an extra night in Fairbanks to recover from a day of flying.  For excursions we were thinking: Upgrading to the Tundra Tour at Denali, Skagway- White Pass Scenic Railway, Juneau- Mendenhall Glacier/Whale Quest, Ketchikan- Totem Bright State Park/Lumberjack Show.  We have been trying to take this trip since the summer of 2019. Booked, re-booked, re-booked, re-booked and now, hopefully we will be going.  Thank you for your response, info and suggestions.

Jeff & Shirley

17 minutes ago, JBJ48 said:

We are seniors (70+), who after being on Carnival "fun ships" thought Princess might be a little more relaxing.  We have a balcony cabin on the Aloha deck (12).  Our tour is OB7 (14 days Off the Beaten Path). 

Have you looked for your Roll Call?

Probably will find it using the date that the cruise starts (not the dat of the land portion).

16 hours ago, JBJ48 said:

Have been on six cruises with Carnival.  All to the Carribbean, Mexico, and Central America.  This will be our first time on Princess and first time going to Alaska, sailing July 22, 2022 on the Grand Princess.  We would appreciate any info/tips on Alaska.  I know the Grand is not in Alaska at this time but also would like anything you can tell us about life currently on the Grand.  Thank you, Jeff & Shirley Jacobs

Read the long live postings from the August 1st and 8th on the Majestic Princess. This will give you some idea about Alaska and current life on board Princess. Hopefully the medallion class issues will be resolved by next summer. The Grand Princess is not sailing now. Its 1st scheduled sailing is end of September to Mexico. The Grand is an older ship, but still very nice. 

23 hours ago, JBJ48 said:

We are seniors (70+), who after being on Carnival "fun ships" thought Princess might be a little more relaxing.  We have a balcony cabin on the Aloha deck (12).  Our tour is OB7 (14 days Off the Beaten Path).  We start 7/20 with an extra night in Fairbanks to recover from a day of flying.  For excursions we were thinking: Upgrading to the Tundra Tour at Denali, Skagway- White Pass Scenic Railway, Juneau- Mendenhall Glacier/Whale Quest, Ketchikan- Totem Bright State Park/Lumberjack Show.  We have been trying to take this trip since the summer of 2019. Booked, re-booked, re-booked, re-booked and now, hopefully we will be going.  Thank you for your response, info and suggestions.

Jeff & Shirley

Why did you choose deck 12 (Aloha)?  If it is because you wanted to be just below the Lido deck then it is just fine.  But...... if you are looking for a quieter setting (not right under the Lido deck) AND would like a balcony that is twice as big.... half covered from the elements and half uncovered....I would suggest moving to deck 10 (Caribe)---{same price}    This is only a suggestion but have cruised to Alaska 13 times and a bigger deck is much nicer since Alaska is a SCENIC CRUISE.

• Like 1

Wanted to be close to Lido deck.  Spend more time on Lido and other ship areas then in cabin.  According to the deck plans I saw for the Grand, the cabins and balcony on 12 and 10 were the same, 168sq.ft/46sq.ft.

I have read about issues on the Lido deck under pool or high traffic areas.  Choose your cabin carefully.

I have stayed on the Aloha deck near the back of the ship (aft cabins).  There are steps leading up to the Terrace Pool and then another short set of steps up to the Lido deck.  Very convenient, very quiet.  

The Grand Princess does not have center stairs (only busy elevators).

Edited by cr8tiv1

3 hours ago, JBJ48 said:

Wanted to be close to Lido deck.  Spend more time on Lido and other ship areas then in cabin.  According to the deck plans I saw for the Grand, the cabins and balcony on 12 and 10 were the same, 168sq.ft/46sq.ft.

JBJ48 - First thing---do what you want to do, I was just trying to be helpful

Second thing---take whatever you read or hear from Princess with a grain of salt, no matter what they tell you, all decks on balconies are not the same

The balconies on decks 11 & 12 (Baha and Aloha) are identical, they are both under cover from the weather and are the 46 sq ft variety  (approx 5 feet deep and the width of the cabin).  The balconies on deck 10 (Caribe) are approx 9-10 feet deep and the width of the cabin, with the closest half of the balcony to your room being under cover (it is the floor of the balcony of the cabin above yours on deck 11.  The outer 5 feet of those balconies are exposed to the weather, but overall it is twice as big as the Aloha balconies.  The balconies on deck 9 (Dolphin) are the same size as the Caribe balconies, but they are all Mini-Suites.

I would also suggest that you read cr8tiv1's reply re:issues being under the Lido deck.  I know you have not been on an Alaska cruise before, and you mentioned spending a lot of time on the Lido deck on other cruises, believe me an Alaska cruise IS NOT the same as being in the Caribbean.  Only the bravest of souls are hanging around outside on the Lido deck near the pools, the air temp and winds when sailing are not conducive to sunbathing.  At least on your own deck you can see the scenic beauty of Alaska while having the balcony dividers to break the wind.  Depending where you are on the Aloha deck, look on the Lido deck plans and see what may be above you, with the exception of the front part of the ship, 80% of Lido deck would have chairs and tables overhead (either around the pools or in the Horizon Court).  That is the issue with being under the Lido deck.

AGAIN THOUGH, YOU DO WHATEVER 'YOU' WANT , I will say this, you made the right choice in taking the land portion first and the cruise part second.

• Thanks 1

Grand Princess is going into Dry Dock April 25-May 11, 2022; so, it will be spiffed up for those sailing to Alaska.  I am sailing her Oct 4th to Mexico and have a window suite to be close to all the action.

• Like 2

I appreciate all the info everyone is giving.  To "Cruising Deacon", our cabin is mid-aft part way under the Calypso pool.  As you say, only the bravest are going to be by the pool so maybe it will be a little quieter.  As for the weather, alto I am living in NC, I am a 30yr veteran of Vermont winters.  Looking forward to being alone on chill days on the Lideo deck.  As for scenic viewing, I'm wondering about going to the Sanctuary.  I understand there is an extra charge(?).  If you or anyone can give more info on this, it would be appreciated.  Thanks to all of you!

I'll give some general input on Grand which we've sailed 7 times though never to Alaska.   She is our second favorite Princess ship albeit one of the oldest in the fleet.

Positives:

- As noted by others, a full wraparound promenade with decent cover from the elements.  Nice for viewing in Alaska.

- The first of her series, she has one less decks than later ships in her class and as a result carries ~500 fewer passengers.  She's still big (when christened she was briefly the largest cruise ship afloat) but not quite as big as her sisters, this makes a difference when competing for shows, meals, shore excursions etc.

- She has a table service pizza restaurant, something many others in her class do not have, it's a nice alternative to the dining room or buffet.  

- Probably the most positive thing I can say is that we're booked twice on Grand prior to your sailing, in January and February '22.  Of all the choices we might have made, we booked Grand, twice.

Negatives:

- Originally, Grand had a great observation lounge high up aft called Skywalkers.  It was a spectacular place to get out of weather with great views forward and aft.  Sadly, this was cut away some years ago and replaced by a new venue One5.  It's an okay room, with no outside view whatsoever, a real pity.

- There's no denying Grand is no longer spry, her decor seems downright plain compared to the glitz and glamor of more recent builds.  This doesn't bother us, but her 22 years do show here and there.

- If you're a fan of buffets there's no comparing Grand (and her class siblings) to Princess newer Royal class ships.  The buffet is a basic one line linear affair with fairly predictable offerings.  No one will go hungry, but it's also unlikely to impress.  Then again we're not fans of buffets to begin with so perhaps our opinion can't be relied on.

That's it, like I said we love Grand and her few negatives are well overwhelmed by the many positives.  If you have specific questions I'm happy to offer an opinion.  Happy cruising.

Unless the Grand has modified their center stairs during a dry dock, the mid-ship stairs only go from deck 4 - 7.  The stairs then become for crew only.

Also, (on all Princess ships), the aft dining room is only accessible by 2 aft elevators or stairs.  If you happen to be on deck 5 or deck 6, you will have to walk up to deck 7...walk along the halls, then back down to deck 6.  The kitchen/dining room on deck 6 is in the way.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 7:18 AM, cruising deacon said:

Why did you choose deck 12 (Aloha)?  If it is because you wanted to be just below the Lido deck then it is just fine.  But...... if you are looking for a quieter setting (not right under the Lido deck) AND would like a balcony that is twice as big.... half covered from the elements and half uncovered....I would suggest moving to deck 10 (Caribe)---{same price}    This is only a suggestion but have cruised to Alaska 13 times and a bigger deck is much nicer since Alaska is a SCENIC CRUISE.

I prefer the Baja deck over the Caribe deck as the Baja balcony is completely covered and you get more privacy.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:36 PM, JBJ48 said:

I appreciate all the info everyone is giving.  To "Cruising Deacon", our cabin is mid-aft part way under the Calypso pool.  As you say, only the bravest are going to be by the pool so maybe it will be a little quieter.  As for the weather, alto I am living in N am a 30yr veteran of Vermont winters.  Looking forward to being alone on chill days on the Lideo deck.  As for scenic viewing, I'm wondering about going to the Sanctuary.  I understand there is an extra charge(?).  If you or anyone can give more info on this, it would be appreciated.  Thanks to all of you!

@JBJ48Sanctuary booking for Glacier Bay. We did this in 2018, pre-covid times on the Star Princess. It was a lovely experience and we felt totally spoiled, for food services, and views, on that day.

Biggest benefit of this space is that it is enclosed, so you are cozy while viewing the glaciers. There is a food service setup in the morning, you order from a menu for lunch,  and later on, you are presented with afternoon tea at the right time, with all of the usual offerings. Delightful!

Since you will be viewing the glaciers through the glass, you may venture away from the space for getting photos without the glass. I ran down to my balcony stateroom to get the best pictures, once we were close to the glaciers themselves.

Another benefit for booking the Sanctuary would be not having to jostle for a front rail view, since you will have an assigned spot and lounger once you book this.

In 2018, the Sanctuary service on that day was managed by the food services dept. and I have read about some changes to this, recently. So I can not guarantee that your upcoming experience would have exactly the same benefits. However, since I have taken this cruise more than a dozen times,  the Sanctuary was a comfortable and pampered version of our day of viewing the glaciers. We also received a photographer's photo to commemorate our time there. Loved it all!

I hope your experience there is as wonderful as mine was.

Edited by CruzeQueen2
response to OP

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2021 at 2:29 PM, ajstahle said:

Is either side of the ship (port or starboard) better for viewing scenery from your balcony while cruising?

If you are sailing round trip from Seattle, both sides will have views;  starboard side on way out and port side on way back.  If you are doing north passage only (one way), then starboard side

On 8/12/2021 at 8:33 AM, JBJ48 said:

Please know that the balconies are MUCH larger on the Caribe and Dolphin deck.

According to Grand Princess deck plans the larger balconies on Caribe & Dolphin decks are either premium or mini-suite balconies.  I booked only a regular balcony in the mid-aft section of the ship.  Always had been forward, but wanted to try a different section of the ship this time.  Thank you for your reply.