MSC Cancels All Airport Transfers For U.S. Sailings Until The Winter Season

cruiseguyinorl

Just got news about this. Not so horrible for Miami sailings where you can jump in a taxi and get to the pier. But they just stranded a significant number of my clients sailing out of Port Canaveral on the Divina. With the port an hour away from the Orlando Airport, the taxi thing doesn't really work. And yes, I know there are private companies that do transfers. It just becomes very inconvenient for those already with booked cruiseline transfers (which they will be canceling) as now money has to be refunded and we know how long that can take with MSC.

By the way, in case anyone wonders, they are saying the reason for this is transfers aren't able to be socially distanced. I tried pointing out that the folks coming in on a plane definitely would not be socially distanced before getting on a bus, so does it really matter? I have taken the concern as high as a Director level so far. We will see if anything comes of it. Also, just for clarification, this only affects the Divina through October 30th and the Meraviglia through mid-November.

Thanks for the heads up. We’re on the Nov 14th sailing on Divina and we’re counting on using MSC’s transfer to Orlando.
Hopefully they’ll be running by then or maybe we should just look into renting a car hmmm

In many ways this is better for passengers - if a passenger tests positive at the port then close contacts will also be denied boarding.  Normally close contacts are family or friends that travelled in the same car, stayed in same hotel (which I don't think is controversial), but if the shuttle cannot be socially distanced then there is the risk that unrelated passengers are denied boarding. 

If MSC are organising the shuttle they are obviously responsible and cannot ignore it, but if the passenger organises the shuttle then it is up to the passenger and/or local authorities in the same way as a passenger on the same flight testing positive.

• Like 1

MSC obviously has "boots on the ground" providing the line with accurate information on conditions in Florida.

Kudos to the line for taking steps to protect their passengers and helping them to avoid exposure to any potentially positive guests.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

J

By the way, in case anyone wonders, they are saying the reason for this is transfers aren't able to be socially distanced. I tried pointing out that the folks coming in on a plane definitely would not be socially distanced before getting on a bus, so does it really matter? 

Let's not forget the fact that masks are required on the airplanes for all passengers.

However, as soon as the passengers are on their own in Orlando, there are no mandated controls for the prevention of disease spread.

So, yes, there is a big difference between the plane and a bus. In the bus, there will be those who refuse to mask up or will insist that their underage, unvaccinated disease vectors protect others with a mask.

When I heard MSC would not be providing transportation for my cruise I wasn’t too worried because I was going to use GOPORT for their transportation from the hotel we would be staying at to the port and then back to the airport after the cruise. However I figured I better make my reservation pretty soon. Much to my dismay after not being able to get online with them and checking the Better Business Bureau it appears they have many complaints and are rated F because they didn’t issue refunds for canceled cruises and are no longer answering the phone. Plus their website Hangs up and doesn’t allow for making reservations online. So my question is which shuttle service would you recommend that you have used that includes  pickup at an Orlando hotel to the cruise port and back to MCO. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, ddlb said:

When I heard MSC would not be providing transportation for my cruise I wasn’t too worried because I was going to use GOPORT for their transportation from the hotel we would be staying at to the port and then back to the airport after the cruise. However I figured I better make my reservation pretty soon. Much to my dismay after not being able to get online with them and checking the Better Business Bureau it appears they have many complaints and are rated F because they didn’t issue refunds for canceled cruises and are no longer answering the phone. Plus their website Hangs up and doesn’t allow for making reservations online. So my question is which shuttle service would you recommend that you have used that includes  pickup at an Orlando hotel to the cruise port and back to MCO. Thanks. 

I actually booked one way from Divina to MCO on the GOPORT website today. It was only $39 total for the two of us I guess if they don’t show up we’ll Uber🤷🏻‍♀️

I just booked transfers for 2 Celebrity sailings.

On both cruises, we will take a taxi to get to the cruise ship (Vancouver and Miami).  On both cruises we have booked return transfers via the cruise line.

Part of the reason for not booking transfers to the pier has to do with social distancing.  It's safer and more convenient to just grab a cab.  As to the return, while I certainly don't want covid, I think it's less of a concern on the return.  We are both fully vaccinated, and certainly we won't have to worry about being denied boarding or quarantined during the cruise, since the cruise will be over at that point.

I've also booked non-stop inbound flights with upgraded seats on both cruises, and no hotel stays.  I know many disagree with this (arriving day of the cruise), but we just want to get on the ship in a healthy state and hopefully remain healthy throughout our trips.  We figure, the less interaction we have with others pre-cruise, the lower the odds of catching the corona.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I just booked transfers for 2 Celebrity sailings.

On both cruises, we will take a taxi to get to the cruise ship (Vancouver and Miami).  On both cruises we have booked return transfers via the cruise line.

Part of the reason for not booking transfers to the pier has to do with social distancing.  It's safer and more convenient to just grab a cab.  As to the return, while I certainly don't want covid, I think it's less of a concern on the return.  We are both fully vaccinated, and certainly we won't have to worry about being denied boarding or quarantined during the cruise, since the cruise will be over at that point.

I've also booked non-stop inbound flights with upgraded seats on both cruises, and no hotel stays.  I know many disagree with this (arriving day of the cruise), but we just want to get on the ship in a healthy state and hopefully remain healthy throughout our trips.  We figure, the less interaction we have with others pre-cruise, the lower the odds of catching the corona.

Smart moves all round, this is the safest way to do it folks if you cannot drive to the port direct.

• Like 1

I booked Go Port and also reviewed the ratings and comments prior to booking, so I am well aware of Go Ports issues.  Most of the negative reviews were from customers that had issues related to Covid refunds, (company only offer a future credit) which I completely understand. With that said, I am flying in a day early before my Sept 19 Devina cruise, and the package for $200 (some cheaper based on Hotel), could not be beat, includes  transfers from the airport to the hotel,  1 night stay at the hotel, transfer from Hotel to Cruise Pier, and transfer from Cruise pier to Airport.  I will take my chances & will post back after my cruise to let all of you know about the experience

• Like 1

7 hours ago, quattrohead said:

Smart moves all round, this is the safest way to do it folks if you cannot drive to the port direct.

The only thing that's sketchy about my plan are the flights which arrive day of the cruise.

The San Diego to Vancouver flight is probably pretty safe.  Only a 3.5 hour non-stop flight and if we missed it, for some reason, there are probably 4-5 other flights that would probably get us there.  Plus Vancouver is in the same time zone as we are.

The San Diego to Miami flight is more risky.  It's a red eye and one of the last flights out for the evening.  If we missed it, we'd have a tough time getting there with a flight out the next morning, mostly due to losing 3 hours while heading east.  It's certainly a calculated risk.  If I missed it, I would try to get on something, anything, headed east and try to work out the connections from there.  I've done this red eye twice before and not had a problem, but I do concede that it's riskier.

Edited by Stockjock