All air travellers, rail passengers and cruise ship passengers must be vaccinated against COVID-19: feds

WESTEAST

21 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Definitely the way to go.  I'm also happy to see mandatory vaccinations for health care workers.  if they'd had rules like this long ago we wouldn't be where we are now.

Where are you seeing mandatory vaccinations for health care workers?

5 hours ago, iancal said:

Health care is primarily a Provincial responsibility.   

Each Province will make it's own rules.  Hopefully they will make the vaccination mandatory for health care workers and for care home workers.

I can't figure out why there is so much hesitancy to mandate vaccinations for any interacting closely with the most at risk people in our society. After all, almost all of the deaths from this virus have occurred in congregant care situations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iancal said:

Health care is primarily a Provincial responsibility.   

Each Province will make it's own rules.  Hopefully they will make the vaccination mandatory for health care workers and for care home workers.

And for college and university students, faculty and staff.  And high school and grade school teachers and students when they can. And quite frankly, anybody else who steps outside their home. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

It's a catch 22.  Conservatives are saying no to mandatory vaccines and yes to rapid testing for workplaces and travel.  I assume that they would also implement rapid testing for coming back to Canada, which means we wouldn't have to pay the crazy prices for the RT-PCR / PCR tests.  

The Canadian travel industry could do a 180 after September 20th.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 4:24 PM, broberts said:

I can't figure out why there is so much hesitancy to mandate vaccinations for any interacting closely with the most at risk people in our society. After all, almost all of the deaths from this virus have occurred in congregant care situations.

Even though a majority of Canadians do want mandatory vaccinations of public-facing workers, there's a timidity among many employers to make vaccination a condition of employment --- they can't stomach the idea of legal fights.   Governments are equally timid to weigh in, lest they upset the libertarians.  Look at Ford in Ontario: not requiring teachers or students to be vaccinated.  It's perverse. 

Many hospitals and long-term care homes aren't forcing the issue yet out of timidity, and the vaccination uptake among health care workers is still worrisome (see https://cmajnews.com/2021/07/29/covid-uptake-1095956/).   Unfortunately, it may take bad news (e.g. unvaccinated staff dying, or a brutal fourth wave) to force the issue. 

Rare among employers, TD, RBC, CIBC, City of Toronto and the TTC have now drawn a line in the sand, and set requirements. Good for them.  They're ahead. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

TD, RBC, CIBC,

Of course these fall under federally regulated industries.

I am always amused by the penalties for non-compliance:

"Those who are not fully vaccinated or do not disclose their vaccination status must complete a learning module about the benefits of vaccination, submit to mandatory COVID-19 rapid testing and wear a mask whenever they are in TD offices." The third penalty is an expectation for all employees.

Some companies found that the fine for refusing quarantine ($3000 in the days of mandatory hotel quarantine) was an inexpensive cost of continuing business.

Every day we see more public and private organizations announcing that covid vaccinations will be a condition of employment in the near term.

I have no doubt that many large organizations and businesses rec'd in house and specialty legal opinions over the past several months  from one or more firms/legal scholars prior to moving down this path.  This is not knee jerk.

This is not simply an employment or customer/client/patient safety issue.  It is a morale issue for the vast majority of employees that absolutely agree with it.  

The next question will be...for those employees who refuse and those employers who will accept periodic covid testing....who will pay for those tests???  The employer, the employee,  employer health care insurance, or the public health care system??

Just read a KPMG article.  It indicates  that 62 percent of small and medium sized business they surveyed are looking at just this.  My guess is that this will increase as the number of large organizations making it a requirement increase.

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 1:37 PM, LouCoop said:

In Quebec and I'm guessing in BC since @TeaBag is from BC

Also in Alberta....much to the chagrin of the anti vaxxers and science deniers.  

Ditto for a vaccine passport in Alberta. It is coming, albeit by a different name.

• Like 2