Bermuda new protection edict!

Marygracie C.

29 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I feel like Bermuda must be continuing to work with the cruise lines to adjust these protocols, since they haven't made the travel authorization form available for any sailings after 9/12 so far. They leads me to believe they are seeing how things go with these first couple Crystal sailings and then will make adjustments.

I absolutely agree. There's a big difference in testing 180 passengers on Crystal vs 2500 on a reduced capacity Breakaway. I keep questioning Bermuda's capacity to process and test so many TA Authorization applications and PCR tests. Bermuda is now a 3 on CDC site. Just recently they were a 1 Cases on the rise there. I hope Bermuda doesn't panic and suspend calls.

• Like 4

An update on the COVID tests my husband and I took to travel to Toronto tomorrow. We both had PCR test conducted at CVS drive throughs. They were conducted at two separate CVS locations in the Rochester, NY area. My husband had his test at 10:00am yesterday (Wednesday) and received his results at 3:00pm today (Thursday). I had my test at a separate location at 10:10am yesterday and received my results at 4:12pm today. So turnaround time was 29 hours for my husband and 30 hours for myself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Carnival is changing testing protocols, to 48 hours. If NCL follows, that makes it very tight and will make many people pretty nervous (me included). Jamie is there a number to call if you don't get your results when needed? Our TA is supplying a bus to NYC from the Albany area, I Can't imagine getting on the bus, and hoping the results show up before the ship sails, especially since the bus will be dropping us off and heading back north .

1 minute ago, Biffire said:

Carnival is changing testing protocols, to 48 hours. If NCL follows, that makes it very tight and will make many people pretty nervous (me included). Jamie is there a number to call if you don't get your results when needed? Our TA is supplying a bus to NYC from the Albany area, I Can't imagine getting on the bus, and hoping the results show up before the ship sails, especially since the bus will be dropping us off and heading back north .

For the NCL protocols, you only need an antigen test, which is a rapid test and results are usually available quite quickly. I would say for THAT test, you should specifically look for an antigen test in order to get your test results in time. For the Bermuda protocols, the test needs to be a PCR test taken the Wednesday prior to a Sunday sailing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

For the NCL protocols, you only need an antigen test, which is a rapid test and results are usually available quite quickly. I would say for THAT test, you should specifically look for an antigen test in order to get your test results in time. For the Bermuda protocols, the test needs to be a PCR test taken the Wednesday prior to a Sunday sailing.

NCL is already doing testing at the terminal as a requirement to board the ship. Other cruise lines like Carnival is not doing testing at the terminal and only requiring you to bring test results

The only thing that might change for these Bermuda cruises is since we need to take a PCR test for Bermuda protocols, maybe we can use the results from that test to satisfy NCL requirement and they wont be a pre-boarding testing. Seems kinda of like overkill to be doing covid tests every few days but i understand the need of being overly cautious with the variant 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Jamie,

If we only need a rapid, that will makes things easier. Thanks

Hope to meet you on board.

3 hours ago, shof515 said:

NCL is already doing testing at the terminal as a requirement to board the ship. Other cruise lines like Carnival is not doing testing at the terminal and only requiring you to bring test results

The only thing that might change for these Bermuda cruises is since we need to take a PCR test for Bermuda protocols, maybe we can use the results from that test to satisfy NCL requirement and they wont be a pre-boarding testing. Seems kinda of like overkill to be doing covid tests every few days but i understand the need of being overly cautious with the variant 

The two other cruise lines doing Bermuda cruises, Viking Ocean, which is doing cruises originating in and only visiting Bermuda, and Crystal, which is currently cruising from Boston to Bermuda and in a few weeks will be cruising from NY to Bermuda, have not changed their internal protocols despite Bermuda requiring a PCR test. Viking conducts daily saliva-based PCR tests on its passengers and Crystal conducts an antigen test at the cruise terminal prior to boarding just as NCL does . I don't expect NCL to change. Remember that the COVID tests only give a snapshot of your status at the moment the test sample is taken. You can accurately test negative on the PCR test taken a couple of days before embarkation but accurately test positive on embarkation day. The embarkation day test provides an extra layer of confidence that you are not ill when you board the cruise, which is why that test will no doubt continue.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Biffire said:

Jamie,

If we only need a rapid, that will makes things easier. Thanks

Hope to meet you on board.

Just to make it clear, for a Bermuda cruise you'll have to take a PCR test a couple of days before embarkation in order to apply for and receive a Bermuda Travel Authorization . NCL will also be conducting their required pre boarding antigen test at the cruise terminal immediately prior to your embarkation. You will not be obtaining a rapid test on your own before your trip to the terminal. (You could if you want to but it wouldn't be of much use to you.) Unfortunately it is legitimately and medically possible to test negative on the PCR test taken several days earlier but then test positive on the pre boarding antigen test at the pier. 

8 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Yes, NCL is calling for a PCR *or* antigen test.

But you need a PCR for your Bermuda Travel Authorization and NCL will do an antigen test at the pier. Why would you get an antigen test on your own at the same time you'll be getting the PCR test Bermuda requires?

I am a bit confused on the Bermuda requirements as far as timing of the pre-cruise PCR test.  I am on the 10/10 sailing.  I am leaving Las Vegas on Saturday and the Cruise departs on Sunday.  Am I correct in my understanding that I need to get tested on Wednesday before I leave or does it have to be Thursday?  Sorry for the basic question but I truly am confused as to the requirement and don't want to mess this up as I can really use this cruise!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eynsteinp said:

Am I correct in my understanding that I need to get tested on Wednesday before I leave or does it have to be Thursday?

I am also on the 10/10 cruise! According to Bermuda government's web page, you need to get tested on Wednesday with results back on Thursday: https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

1683217783_testingtimeline.thumb.png.62112cc91ff297877c45efd6fa83139f.png

3 hours ago, craig01020 said:

I am also on the 10/10 cruise! According to Bermuda government's web page, you need to get tested on Wednesday with results back on Thursday: https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

1683217783_testingtimeline.thumb.png.62112cc91ff297877c45efd6fa83139f.png

You can technically get the results back on Friday. They just require at least 24 hour turn around to approve your authorization. So, if you are sailing Sunday, you probably want to get your application submitted by end of day Friday at the latest in order to receive your approval on Saturday, as listed above.

10 hours ago, njhorseman said:

But you need a PCR for your Bermuda Travel Authorization and NCL will do an antigen test at the pier. Why would you get an antigen test on your own at the same time you'll be getting the PCR test Bermuda requires?

The problem is timing. Bermuda wants a PCR test on Wednesday, which is way more than 72 hours out from sailing. NCL wants a test taken within 72 hours of sailing. And then NCL also does an antigen test at the pier. If you delay taking your PCR test for Bermuda until inside of 72 hours, you will REALLY be pressing your luck to get results back in time to submit your Bermuda Travel Authorization, since that needs to be submitted more than 24 hours out in order to be approved before boarding.

Edited by JamieLogical

47 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The problem is timing. Bermuda wants a PCR test on Wednesday, which is way more than 72 hours out from sailing. NCL wants a test taken within 72 hours of sailing. And then NCL also does an antigen test at the pier. If you delay taking your PCR test for Bermuda until inside of 72 hours, you will REALLY be pressing your luck to get results back in time to submit your Bermuda Travel Authorization, since that needs to be submitted more than 24 hours out in order to be approved before boarding.

I'm confused was this something sent out just to the 9/26 sailing because I can't find anything on the site that says we also need a PCR 72 hours before sailing for NCL.

12 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Not to forget the test before you can exit the ship in Bermuda.

I am not stressed in the slightest by the test upon arrival in Bermuda, nor the test at the pier. I am much more stressed about the two tests required prior to embarkation day, because it's on me to obtain them and the timing is tricky with result times being unpredictable.

42 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I think that Bermuda will have to amend the timetable published on https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation  for Breakaway sailings. It was designed for passengers on the Crystal Symphony, which has only a single full day at sea before its scheduled arrival in Bermuda whereas Breakaway has two full sea days scheduled. With the extra sea day BA passengers would be getting tested a day too early if this schedule is followed. By making the test a day later it would also satisfy NCL's requirement without the need for another test.

Just now, yamiangie said:

I'm confused was this something sent out just to the 9/26 sailing because I can't find anything on the site that says we also need a PCR 72 hours before sailing for NCL.

There is nothing saying we need a PCR test 72 hours before sailing. The Sail Safe FAQ says we need a test. Can be antigen or PCR.

"Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Just now, njhorseman said:

I think that Bermuda will have to amend the timetable published on https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation  for Breakaway sailings. It was designed for passengers on the Crystal Symphony, which has only a single full day at sea before its scheduled arrival in Bermuda whereas Breakaway has two full sea days scheduled. With the extra sea day BA passengers would be getting tested a day too early if this schedule is followed. By making the test a day later it would also satisfy NCL's requirement without the need for another test.

But make it almost impossible to get our test results in time to file our Travel Authorization Application and receive approval prior to boarding.....

Well, hopefully NCL will come out with some instructions soon.  It would be nice if they and the Bermuda government adjusted the date for the PCR test to Thurday or NCL waived the optional 72 hours prior to boarding test.  It would be really helpful to only need one test prior to boarding, then the test at the pier, then one in Bermuda.  It would seem that those three should be sufficient.

8 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

There is nothing saying we need a PCR test 72 hours before sailing. The Sail Safe FAQ says we need a test. Can be antigen or PCR.

"Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible."

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

To make it clear, you do NOT need that test within 72 hours in order to sail. You only need it in order for NCL to cover any mandatory quarantine expenses that are not covered by your insurance. If your insurance covers those expenses or you wish to self insure you do not need that test.

Edited by njhorseman

5 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

But make it almost impossible to get our test results in time to file our Travel Authorization Application and receive approval prior to boarding.....

It wouldn't surprise me if either NCL makes an adjustment to the 72 hour requirement for Bermuda or if it adjusts its sailing schedule to arrive earlier...or even both.