Bermuda new protection edict!

Marygracie C.

1 minute ago, goldmom said:

Well, hopefully NCL will come out with some instructions soon.  It would be nice if they and the Bermuda government adjusted the date for the PCR test to Thurday or NCL waived the optional 72 hours prior to boarding test.  It would be really helpful to only need one test prior to boarding, then the test at the pier, then one in Bermuda.  It would seem that those three should be sufficient.

As things stand right now, we are in a full-on panic about getting my parents' test results fast enough after a Wednesday test for them to get results and have them submitted with their travel authorization form by end of day Friday. My parents' local CVS told them results are taking 5 days right now. Their urgent care says 3 days. They live in a rural area, so they do not have many testing options available to them. If we learn they need to be tested on Thursday instead of Wednesday, they may just cancel altogether, because the odds of them getting results in time for their TA application are pretty slim.

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It wouldn't surprise me if either NCL makes an adjustment to the 72 hour requirement for Bermuda or if it adjusts its sailing schedule to arrive earlier...or even both.

Then we will likely have to cancel, because there would be little chance of my parents being able to get PCR test results in time to complete their TA application for Bermuda.

4 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Well, hopefully NCL will come out with some instructions soon.  It would be nice if they and the Bermuda government adjusted the date for the PCR test to Thurday or NCL waived the optional 72 hours prior to boarding test.  It would be really helpful to only need one test prior to boarding, then the test at the pier, then one in Bermuda.  It would seem that those three should be sufficient.

I suspect that will happen. The way the requirements are laid out now compliance is difficult at best.

Crystal passengers had similar problems and it wasn't until fairly close to the first sailing that the schedule was ironed out.

6 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

I'm serious thinking about cancelling and taking a FCC (friggin' cruise credit). Getting three covid tests in five days and then being delayed before getting off the ship for a fourth test is just too many hoops to jump through.

😤

The tests themselves, I really don't mind at all. It's the logistics of getting tests ahead of the cruise and getting results back in time that really has me stressed out.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

To make it clear, you do NOT need that test within 72 hours in order to sail. You only need it in order for NCL to cover any mandatory quarantine expenses that are not covered by your insurance. If your insurance covers those expenses or you wish to self insure you do not need that test.

Yes, this is why I am not going to worry about the NCL 72 hour thing. I will have tested the day before and I have travel insurance that covers COVID cancellation or interruption costs (World Nomads in case anyone is interested). I will also be extra careful on my masking up for the airport, my flight, and hotel on Saturday.

I'm really hoping that some type of adjustment will be made and that NCL and the Bermuda government find a way to make this a little easier to accomplish.  Especially when your dealing with a significant larger number of passengers on the Breakaway.

Perhaps Bermuda can have representatives either at the pier prior to boarding or onboard to approve the authorizations.  It would seem that if you have all the proper paperwork and pay the fee, there should be no reason not to grant the authorization.  Passengers have already been vetted in the US by the cruise line submitting the manifest.

Hopefully NCL is actually working on this.

1 minute ago, goldmom said:

I'm really hoping that some type of adjustment will be made and that NCL and the Bermuda government find a way to make this a little easier to accomplish.  Especially when your dealing with a significant larger number of passengers on the Breakaway.

Perhaps Bermuda can have representatives either at the pier prior to boarding or onboard to approve the authorizations.  It would seem that if you have all the proper paperwork and pay the fee, there should be no reason not to grant the authorization.  Passengers have already been vetted in the US by the cruise line submitting the manifest.

Hopefully NCL is actually working on this.

On the  first cruises to Bermuda on Crystal you heard stories of folks having issue getting their TA approved. They had to call Bermuda to expedite. That was happening with a less then 200 passengers. What's going to happen when they have to process a TA requests from a ship as large as BA ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYcruzzer said:

On the  first cruises to Bermuda on Crystal you heard stories of folks having issue getting their TA approved. They had to call Bermuda to expedite. That was happening with a less then 200 passengers. What's going to happen when they have to process a TA requests from a ship as large as BA ? 

Absolutely!  It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.  I wouldn't even know about the TA if I wasn't a member here.  I'm betting there are many passengers who haven't a clue about it.

4 hours ago, craig01020 said:

Could this be any more of a cluster🤬?!

I couldn't agree more. I am flying home early from Albuquerque on the Wednesday prior to my cruise and don't land till about 4:30 in CT, if I have to get this test done on Wednesday I might be screwed. OMG... why is it not easier than this!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odie1024 said:

I couldn't agree more. I am flying home early from Albuquerque on the Wednesday prior to my cruise and don't land till about 4:30 in CT, if I have to get this test done on Wednesday I might be screwed. OMG... why is it not easier than this!

Well, there are places that will do an hour turnaround PCR test but it can cost upward of $150.  Another expensive option would be to see if either airport you're flying from/to does PCR testing at the airport.  Some of them do, although again you have to pay for it.

Good luck!

I have been lurking on the Crystal Board trying to get any info that I think may be helpfull for mt cruise on BA 9/26 Click link below and read posts 493 and 494

I really don't know how they are going to handle all these additional TA applications

Edited by NYcruzzer

16 hours ago, odie1024 said:

If there is a Massachusetts Stop the spread test site near you they are free and the one in Lawrence you can get the results on the portal in 24 hours and print it out.  You can find the sites on Mass.gov

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

If a Bermuda Travel Authorization is not approved in time to board, what would Norwegian do?

1. refund
  2. future cruise credit
  3. nothing

or hopefully 4. bring your confirmation that you submitted the travel authorization to Bermuda and use that to board the ship.  That is what i would like to see happen if Bermuda has issues process thousands of authorizations in a short amount time. By the time the ship does dock in Bermuda, you authorization should be already approved.

or Norwegian might be in talks with the Bermuda government to make cruise ships passengers a priority. those people on crystals did not had priority causing delays

Edited by shof515

3 hours ago, shof515 said:

or hopefully 4. bring your confirmation that you submitted the travel authorization to Bermuda and use that to board the ship.  That is what i would like to see happen if Bermuda has issues process thousands of authorizations in a short amount time. By the time the ship does dock in Bermuda, you authorization should be already approved.

or Norwegian might be in talks with the Bermuda government to make cruise ships passengers a priority. those people on crystals did not had priority causing delays

Or 5 Divert ship to Nassau and GSC in the bahamas.

• Like 3

Although it is a Bermuda requirement and a requirement that the guests must accomplish, NCL is aware of the requirements.  They also must understand how difficult it is becoming to accomplish this Bermuda requirement.  They must work with Bermuda is insuring it can be accomplished in a timely manner.  They can't advertise Bermuda cruises and then leave half the guests behind, standing on the pier.  Also, with all the other cruise lines now going to a 2 day time frame for preboarding testing requirements, testing is going to have to be available at the pier.  Two days just will not work for many guests.  Of course, the whole thig sucks with the virus continuing to spread and today a new one announced as happening in Calif.  Planning, for a cruise line, is a total uncertainty.  

41 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Although it is a Bermuda requirement and a requirement that the guests must accomplish, NCL is aware of the requirements.  They also must understand how difficult it is becoming to accomplish this Bermuda requirement.  They must work with Bermuda is insuring it can be accomplished in a timely manner.  They can't advertise Bermuda cruises and then leave half the guests behind, standing on the pier.  Also, with all the other cruise lines now going to a 2 day time frame for preboarding testing requirements, testing is going to have to be available at the pier.  Two days just will not work for many guests.  Of course, the whole thig sucks with the virus continuing to spread and today a new one announced as happening in Calif.  Planning, for a cruise line, is a total uncertainty.  

The Bermuda TA website hasn't been updated to allow for registration. The latest cruise departure date is 9/12 You are supposed to be able to start the registration process 30 days in advance. Two things will make me feel better. One the BA leaves Europe and heads to NYC Second, we get a link for all pre-cruise testing and registration requirements. 

Edited by NYcruzzer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NYcruzzer said:

The Bermuda TA website hasn't been updated to allow for registration. The latest cruise departure date is 9/12 You are supposed to be able to start the registration process 30 days in advance. Two things will make me feel better. One the BA leaves Europe and heads to NYC Second, we get a link for all pre-cruise testing and registration requirements. 

BA just left Rome and is enroute to Barcelona, I think at least that piece is looking positive. 

I’m very confident that NCL is in discussions with Bermuda. They can’t afford for one of two things to occur, first passengers get left behind due to the Gov’t of Bermuda’s inability to execute their own pre-cruise plan and two, upon arrival in Bermuda significant time (as in a lost port day entirely or more)  is wasted or there is a chaotic situation due to an unrealistic plan on the part of Bermuda. NCL can’t and won’t put themselves in a position where this happens, so knowing how strong NCL is with negotiations and leverage with its stakeholders (don’t ask me how I know this) I’m thinking the pressure is on by NCL as we speak. If they can’t reach a deal, NCL has been known to change plans to protect the brand, and they have a lot of stake in that game right now with CDC and Florida, etc. 

We’re booked for the 26th. For me just sailing on BA out of NY is the exciting part for us being locals here, like the old days. They could sail me to Nassau and back (not a big fan) and I really wouldn’t care. Thats just us though. 

Anyway just my $0.02

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoundForSea said:

We’re booked for the 26th. For me just sailing on BA out of NY is the exciting part for us being locals here, like the old days. They could sail me to Nassau and back (not a big fan) and I really wouldn’t care. Thats just us though. 

Anyway just my $0.02

That's what I thought too....until I researched it.  The Bahamas have strict protocols also:

https://travel.gov.bs/

• Like 1

You don’t need a visa for cruises to Bahamas private islands (none of the other cruise lines are requiring them), but I don’t know about Nassau.  All adults do need vaccinations, which obviously we pass.