Questions: Bourbon selection and HUB app

Two quick questions

1.  What is the current bourbon selection at the bar?  Last cruise I only remember gentlemen jack..

2.  Can you book excursions while on the cruise ship from the HUB app without purchasing internet?  When I try to book excursions from the hub app it forwards me to carnival.com, which I suspect I wouldn’t be able to do from the ship unless I bought internet..

thanks!

• Like 1

On the Magic you could find Bulleit, Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve, along with your traditional bourbon offerings. Red Frog Pub did have a bottle of Blantons, but it was gone before the ship truly set sail (left over from a Steakhouse something or other).

Edited by keels81
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Two quick questions

1.  What is the current bourbon selection at the bar?  Last cruise I only remember gentlemen jack..

FINALLY…someone asking a truly important question. 😜 Cheers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

There are a few free sites you can access without an internet package including carnival.com.

Jack anything is not bourbon but Tennessee whisky. Pig and Anchor on Horizon had a few bourbons

pig-and-anchor-bar-menu.pdf 5.41 MB · 16 downloads

Looks like pig and anchor is only open for lunch? Is the bar open all day?

15 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Two quick questions

2.  Can you book excursions while on the cruise ship from the HUB app without purchasing internet?  When I try to book excursions from the hub app it forwards me to carnival.com, which I suspect I wouldn’t be able to do from the ship unless I bought internet..

thanks!

My guess is you are being forward to carnival.com on the hub app now because you are not yet on the ship. I don't have the answer to your question specifically on the app, but I do believe that on most of the newer ships you can purchase excursions through the television (I know it's not available on every ship but do not know which ones those are).

15 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

yes you can use the hub app to purchase excursions. 

Once you onboard the ship and set up the hub app with your onboard folio account the hub app automatically updates itself and unlocks a lot more features like viewing menus, viewing funtimes, making dinner reservations and other things.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Looks like pig and anchor is only open for lunch? Is the bar open all day?

I guess it depends on the ship. On Horizon, bar is open 10:30am-1am sea days, 3pm-1am port days. Lunch and Dinner on sea days, dinner on port days. The Bloody Mary's are wonderful.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I guess it depends on the ship. On Horizon, bar is open 10:30am-1am sea days, 3pm-1am port days. Lunch and Dinner on sea days, dinner on port days. The Bloody Mary's are wonderful.

They truly are awesome. All the different olives oh and bacon, yes bacon folks! Not counting the veggie infused vodka is a treat as well. They let me try some by itself and it’s quite tasty. 

Edited by Cruise Related

7 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Being a true bourbon lover thanks for the information.

When my wife and I had our first cruise together about 4 years ago now, we were not huge bourbon drinkers.  I used Maker's Mark in Manhattans, and that was about it.  I did enjoy a variety of Scotches (one must be careful how peaty you start out in a session, for it is nigh-impossible to revert back to non-peat!), and The Macallan was a favorite, but will admit I wasn't an expert.

Since then we've done a lot of whisk(e)y tastings including bourbons and other American-style whisk(e)ys, as well as whisk(e)ys from around the world.  Lots of single-cask bottlings, special runs, etc, as well as the more accessible stuff.

We're still not experts, but at least we can recognize a wide variety of brands/labels, and I know what I like best (really liking American rye whiskeys recently).

So I am really looking forward to seeing exactly what is on board for our cruise in Sept...

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

When my wife and I had our first cruise together about 4 years ago now, we were not huge bourbon drinkers.  I used Maker's Mark in Manhattans, and that was about it.  I did enjoy a variety of Scotches (one must be careful how peaty you start out in a session, for it is nigh-impossible to revert back to non-peat!), and The Macallan was a favorite, but will admit I wasn't an expert.

Since then we've done a lot of whisk(e)y tastings including bourbons and other American-style whisk(e)ys, as well as whisk(e)ys from around the world.  Lots of single-cask bottlings, special runs, etc, as well as the more accessible stuff.

We're still not experts, but at least we can recognize a wide variety of brands/labels, and I know what I like best (really liking American rye whiskeys recently).

So I am really looking forward to seeing exactly what is on board for our cruise in Sept...

Makers and Jim Beam are the standard bar bourbons.  Buffalo Trace at Alchemy. At Pig N Anchor there's a wider selection: Basil Hayden, maybe Blanton's (but not the good one), Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, and others.  Tennessee shelf is all Jack's: Daniels, Gentlemen, Honey.