Covid Testing before Boarding

11 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Tried to call MSC to get more info. The rep wouldn't tell me anything and just said I needed to look at the website. You really have to love MSC.

If anyone else can get a helpful rep, I'd be interested to know if you show up w/a neg test if they still test you at the pier.

We're not sailing until mid-October, so I expect things to change several times before then. 🙄

That said, there's a FB group where someone is stating that, regardless of a negative test taken 72 hours prior, vaxxed or un-vaxxed, testing at the pier will still be occurring. Not sure where they're getting their info.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jules815 said:

We're not sailing until mid-October, so I expect things to change several times before then. 🙄

That said, there's a FB group where someone is stating that, regardless of a negative test taken 72 hours prior, vaxxed or un-vaxxed, testing at the pier will still be occurring. Not sure where they're getting their info.

Yeah I'm sure like everything else MSC it will vary by where the moon aligns with Venus and if the date is even or odd.

I did call again and got a more helpful rep but still not helpful enough 🙂

I'll find out Fri when I arrive...

On a positive note, both times I waited less than 10 min 🙂

Edited by alyssamma
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

But all that is only valid for US departures....

EU says, test for all on pier...

Makes sense - with Covid spike in FL, likely more asymptomatic breakthrough and this will lower then number that might first present at pier.  If not tested before pier, then number of +antigen and secondary PCR confirmatory tests could make embark totally insane.

15 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

Makes sense - with Covid spike in FL, likely more asymptomatic breakthrough and this will lower then number that might first present at pier.  If not tested before pier, then number of +antigen and secondary PCR confirmatory tests could make embark totally insane.

It would make more sense to me if they were abandoning testing at the pier.  Taking a test 3 days prior to arrival really doesn't help MSC much.  If everyone still has to be tested at the pier, the cost is still the same.  It doesn't seem like THAT many people are testing positive at the pier per recent reviews/reports. I think by not testing at the pier, MSC saves a ton of money on testing and their embarkation goes a lot quicker.  We shall see.... 

• Like 2

Ok so now to the really stressful part….which exact tests will be acceptable?

The wording is a bit unclear. What I am specifically wondering is, will the Walgreens ID Now test be accepted (red dot test)?  This isn’t a PCR but it is a NAAT. 

I sail on the 27th so this is going to be super stressful because we will be the guinea pigs here for the first sailing. 

23 minutes ago, SkierRobUMN said:

which exact tests will be acceptable

The list of CDC approved tests (255 of them) can be found here:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-emergency-use-authorizations-medical-devices/in-vitro-diagnostics-euas-molecular-diagnostic-tests-sars-cov-2#individual-molecular

The ID Now test is included in the approved diagnostic tests.  I can't imagine MSC would overrule the CDC and say a test they have approved is not good enough for MSC.

17 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

The list of CDC approved tests (255 of them) can be found here:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-emergency-use-authorizations-medical-devices/in-vitro-diagnostics-euas-molecular-diagnostic-tests-sars-cov-2#individual-molecular

The ID Now test is included in the approved diagnostic tests.  I can't imagine MSC would overrule the CDC and say a test they have approved is not good enough for MSC.

You never know with them, especially since this will be the port workers first cruise where they are checking test results from people. 

3 hours ago, jules815 said:

We fly into Miami on Thursday morning and sail on Saturday. So testing on Wednesday should work.

We’re scheduled for testing 11:30 am on 9/29 and sailing on 10/2 at 7 pm. Confused if we fall into 3 days because it says on their website something about departure time of cruise not embarkation time which is 11 am for us.  

23 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Just found this on MSC website. Should answer any questions about days for testing before a cruise. 

7C24BED1-EE64-4458-8B24-871F26DA65CE.png

Thanks for that chart! No more guessing now. That is, unless they change things again, lol 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KeepSailing said:

Sweeeet. Didn’t think about the IDNOW test. But it is indeed a NAAT molecular test. We did this test from Walgreens back in July and it was great. They took our sample at 10:30am. Supposedly it had a 24 hour turnaround time, but by the time we sat down to eat lunch an hour later, I received the emails with the results.

if IDNOW is acceptable, I’ll go for that test  again!

• Like 2

I am a bit shocked by this...

we are Vaccinated and now not only do we have to get tested at the pier, we also need a test within 72 hours of the cruise ????

I thought that was only for unvaccinated people ?

53 minutes ago, TnTom said:

I am a novice when it comes to all of this. What kind of document constitutes "proof of negative test"?

Depends on where you take the test and the turnaround time. Some places have given us the results on a piece of paper right at the facility (antigen, rapid tests, etc). Other places have emailed us the results. If you’re getting the results via email, make sure that they do contain all the information that MSC requires (patient name, type of test, day and time when results were collected, etc).

10 minutes ago, Shippy said:

we are Vaccinated and now not only do we have to get tested at the pier, we also need a test within 72 hours of the cruise ????

I still have not seen anything confirming that testing at the pier will still be done.  Has anyone actually seen any proof that will  be happening?  The new protocols do not mention being tested at the pier at all after August 27th.  

8 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Unless something has changed in the last 8 hours since I last checked, the wording on the website now doesn’t mention a test at the pier, just the one that everyone is not required to take in advance. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Unless something has changed in the last 8 hours since I last checked, the wording on the website now doesn’t mention a test at the pier, just the one that everyone is not required to take in advance. 

That was autocorrected from NOW* to not*

We are on the sailing on the 27th, and the following cruise, doing a back to back.   In looking at the Walgreens website it says that diagnostic tests are free (they bill insurance but say you never get a bill from Walgreens).  The way I read this it is only the PCR Test and the ID Now test that are free because they are diagnostic?  The rapid test is not free but I cannot find out the cost on the website.  Can anyone confirm what I think is true, and if you know the cost for the rapid test?

Also, I tried to make an appointment on the walgreens website and no appointments available within 200 miles of me for either the PCR or ID NOW.    Anyone else try to schedule with Walgreens?  Same with CVS, nothing within 100 miles. 

Anyone else doing a back to back and know yet how MSC is going to handle the requirement for testing for the second cruise?   I had heard MSC provides testing in their health center on board, for those that need it to fly home, the cost is $120.  I sure hope that MSC would not make us test on board then charge us each $120??  

From Walgreens Website:

Free COVID-19 testing is available to patients ages 3+. If you receive a Diagnostic Test and have insurance, you will be asked to show your insurance card at the appointment and the lab may bill your insurer. You will not receive a bill from Walgreens or from any lab partner.

State and federal programs may also provide free testing in your area. Click here to view a current list of our government-sponsored testing partners.

The below prices represent what is charged to your insurance provider or to state or federal programs that cover the cost of testing. You will not receive a bill from Walgreens or from any lab partner.

• Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR, results time varies†): $129
  • Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW, results in less than 24 hours): $129

The cost of Diagnostic Laboratory Tests is $129, which includes $100 for the laboratory services to process your test and $29 for your Walgreens visit. For information on our lab partners’ COVID testing costs, click here for Aegis Sciences and click here for LabCorp. 

The cost of Rapid Diagnostic Tests is $129 which includes your Walgreens visit and testing services performed on site. 

Edited by pirokp

I called MSC this morning.  For those of you doing a B2B, you will need to get tested at the medical center before your second cruise.  Same requirements apply, time to be tested, etc.  The cost is $120 for a test at the MSC medical center.  

Ken Muskat confirmed this morning that for those who are fully vaccinated, testing at the pier is no longer being offered.  You must bring your negative tests results with you.  This is for cruises departing on or after August 27th. 

• Like 2

I am more stressed about making sure I get the results back from the test in time than anything else.  That and the question that I can get the test at anytime three days before (rather than 72 hours before deparure).  I will be the one crying at the dock if I cannot board!

1 hour ago, pirokp said:

I called MSC this morning.  For those of you doing a B2B, you will need to get tested at the medical center before your second cruise.  Same requirements apply, time to be tested, etc.  The cost is $120 for a test at the MSC medical center.  

I wonder if travel insurance would cover the cost