Saint Greg's Mardi Gras - LIVE - August 28th-September 4th 2021

Saint Greg

39 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Let’s talk tips. I’ve been thinking about getting off of the cash bar and restaurant tips for awhile. First I’m not a big fan of handling cash and having people making my drinks handling cash. But also I had a bartender once tell me he prefers the write in because it goes directly into his account and he can look at it online after his shift. Then I had the situation on glory two years ago where it was an alchemists first day. I had been on Vista with him 6 months earlier and I heard him telling the other alchemist I give cash tips. I heard her say “we’ll figure it out.” So it seemed like it can cause problems. With COVID I decided to definitely make the move from cash tips and I’m glad I did. I have not seen anyone tipping cash this cruise. 

Now the problem I have with Maria. She isn’t giving me the receipt. On the first one I told her I need to write in a tip. She said she was writing in a dollar on my checks. She only did it on like 1/3 of my drinks that day. She did it on none yesterday. I don’t know why she wouldn’t want my tips. I have done something outside of that for her that she wanted but that would only cover maybe two drinks tips a day. At some point I’m either going to have to get ahold of a receipt and put a big tip on it or get her to take a big cash tip. I may just tell her it’s going on her check. Or I’ll go downstairs and put it on her boyfriend’s check. I don’t know why she doesn’t want my tips. I was going to tip her more not less.

With my hotel background I have to tell you that a server adding tips to a check constitutes fraud and cause for termination regardless of the circumstances. I understand everything you're saying and I know your reasoning but the very act of a server writing tips on a check without approval is unethical. Since you know these crew members so well, especially Maria, my best advice to you is to have a frank and honest conversation with them when the bar isn't busy or as they are arriving for their shift. Reach an agreement with them that satisfies you both. You would feel awful if another server were to report they had seen another employee charging tips to a guest check and being disciplined for doing so.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

That is beyond rude.  I would love to catch someone in the act of doing that and shove it right back at them.

I have seen this done in hotels. People who do not have a recess or small alcove as seen in Greg's photo next to their door often place dishes where there is a recess in the wall to prevent accidents. Now the person who did this could just as easily be a jerk. I haven't seen a photo of the guest hallways to know if each room has a recess of its own or not. But it is possible this was done out of consideration for the safety of others. 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I have seen this done in hotels. People who do not have a recess or small alcove as seen in Greg's photo next to their door often place dishes where there is a recess in the wall to prevent accidents. Now the person who did this could just as easily be a jerk. I haven't seen a photo of the guest hallways to know if each room has a recess of its own or not. But it is possible this was done out of consideration for the safety of others. 

Despite limited counter space I rather keep the dishes in my room. I have never left dishes out in the hallway either on a cruiseship or hotel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Despite limited counter space I rather keep the dishes in my room. I have never left dishes out in the hallway either on a cruiseship or hotel.

Time and time again multiple Carnival employees have asked you not keep them in your room, but please put them by your door.  Just recently this was gone over again by John Heald.  Room Stewards are not responsible for dishes.  Put them in the hall.

But not by Greg's door.

Edited by balcony bound
  • Like 11
  • Haha 2

Just now, balcony bound said:

Time and time again multiple Carnival employees have asked you not keep them in your room, but please put them by your door.  Just recently this was gone over again by John Heald.  Room Stewards are not responsible for dishes.  Put them in the hall.

Really? I don't remember ever being told that on any cruiseline or hotel. 

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

Yeah the put dishes in the hallway thing is a Carnival policy. They have a dedicated? team that picks them up from the hallways. Leaving them in the room just gives the steward another task that isn't theirs.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

From John Heald

"

Well we do actually ask guests to put their items outside of your cabin door as soon as you have finished with them.
We have a special team working 24/7 who collect them and return them to room service pantries to be washed and cleaned and then put back into service. What we do ask is for people to place the napkin over the plates if they can. I think most people know to put them outside the cabin door when finished and do just that.
This also applies to plates you may have brought from Lido."

Again - not by Greg's door
Edited by balcony bound
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

And yet Carnival INSTRUCTS guests to place them in the hallway with a napkin placed over the tray and its contents.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

Yeah the put dishes in the hallway thing is a Carnival policy. They have a dedicated team that picks them up from the hallways. Leaving them in the room just gives the steward another task that isn't theirs.

This is correct. On Carnival, just as in first class hotels ashore, it is the responsibility of the food and beverage department's management to assign staff to "sweep" the guest sleeping floor areas for pick up and removal of used cutlery, china, glassware and trays that the room service outlet ( a part of the food and beverage department) delivers to the rooms. Housekeeping is not expected to play food and beverage bus person AND do their room cleaning. Stewarding staff are some of the hardest working crew members on ships and it's not up to us to decide to add to their burdens.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

But not by Greg's door.

Was going to chime in and say that on our Vista sailing last month, our room steward did two things on introduction: 1) establish what time we wanted our room serviced each day, 2) explicitly say that we should leave any used/dirty dishes in the hallway for collection, and not in the stateroom. 

• Like 3

I usually just take ours to the buffet to the dirty dishes side. Or if I see a table with dirty dishes already on it, I put them on there. I don't like leaving them in the hallways either. I wish there was a designated collection area at the ends of the halls or something instead. Like bus tubs somewhere with a trashcan next to it. To me that would just make things easier. But then I can see how some people would get crochety about "having" to bus their own stuff. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I think the ship leaves at 4P so, doubt any salsa or reggaeton clubs will be open. But if you're there at night look into La Cubanita on Calle San Jose, or La Factoria .  Best places for locals like Los Almendros are south of San Juan across the bay.

Thank you 🙏🏻 so very much!!! This is really good information!

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Let’s talk tips. I’ve been thinking about getting off of the cash bar and restaurant tips for awhile. First I’m not a big fan of handling cash and having people making my drinks handling cash. But also I had a bartender once tell me he prefers the write in because it goes directly into his account and he can look at it online after his shift. Then I had the situation on glory two years ago where it was an alchemists first day. I had been on Vista with him 6 months earlier and I heard him telling the other alchemist I give cash tips. I heard her say “we’ll figure it out.” So it seemed like it can cause problems. With COVID I decided to definitely make the move from cash tips and I’m glad I did. I have not seen anyone tipping cash this cruise. 

Now the problem I have with Maria. She isn’t giving me the receipt. On the first one I told her I need to write in a tip. She said she was writing in a dollar on my checks. She only did it on like 1/3 of my drinks that day. She did it on none yesterday. I don’t know why she wouldn’t want my tips. I have done something outside of that for her that she wanted but that would only cover maybe two drinks tips a day. At some point I’m either going to have to get ahold of a receipt and put a big tip on it or get her to take a big cash tip. I may just tell her it’s going on her check. Or I’ll go downstairs and put it on her boyfriend’s check. I don’t know why she doesn’t want my tips. I was going to tip her more not less.

Yeah I have done all of my tipping on receipts plus it’s something to use some of my OBC for. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

With my hotel background I have to tell you that a server adding tips to a check constitutes fraud and cause for termination regardless of the circumstances. I understand everything you're saying and I know your reasoning but the very act of a server writing tips on a check without approval is unethical. Since you know these crew members so well, especially Maria, my best advice to you is to have a frank and honest conversation with them when the bar isn't busy or as they are arriving for their shift. Reach an agreement with them that satisfies you both. You would feel awful if another server were to report they had seen another employee charging tips to a guest check and being disciplined for doing so.

She has my authorization. Actually the problem is she isn’t tipping herself enough.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, balcony bound said:

With so few ships sailing right now, maybe they were the best to call back and may eventually move to other ships as they sail?

We were talking with the ladies at Fortune Teller and asking if we would see them again in December when we cruise, but they weren't sure.  They said Carnival is rotating crew around so more people get a chance to work.

• Like 2