Anybody else always register with the US Government STEP program?

Markanddonna

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I'm officially confused😯. Please explain?

Maybe not living here you didn't see the news that our government gave the Taliban the names and information of any citizens and SIV holders who were still in Afghanistan.  

16 hours ago, clo said:

I sincerely don't understand. So if the US govt. can't help you then you're more likely to die. I'm confused.

If you can anticipate a problem and get out before that is your best option, depending on DC is the worst option.  Local Embassy Staff are more on the ball than anyone in DC.  I worked for the govt for 30 years.  Had a supervisor who was in Iran and got out just before that situation got so bad we had hostages for days under Carter.  My supervisor told me she could see dangerous demonstrations outside her office in Tehran, called for assistance and was told there was no problem.  She knew better and got herself and subordinates out of there.  So don't count on DC helping, use whatever resources you have as quickly as possible.  I suspect the 200+, including students have been believing they owuld be helped.  Other countries did a better job getting their folks out on latest situation from news reports, we (USA) even left behind news media.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pris993 said:

If you can anticipate a problem and get out before that is your best option, depending on DC is the worst option.  Local Embassy Staff are more on the ball than anyone in DC. 

Like others, I don't understand what your comment has to do with registering for the STEP program. That program allows you to enroll your trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Not with "DC". 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Like others, I don't understand what your comment has to do with registering for the STEP program. That program allows you to enroll your trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Not with "DC". 

While some may take comfort in registering, I think it is a waste of time. And, even worse, to depend on it in a bad situation, not a good thing, so that is why I do the time to comment.   DC runs the program.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Keksie said:

Maybe not living here you didn't see the news that our government gave the Taliban the names and information of any citizens and SIV holders who were still in Afghanistan.  

Oh I was thinking you were referring to tourist information from the STEP program. I didn't make the association with the Afghanistan evacuation😆. I'm assuming that information came from a different source. I suppose it goes to show that even without the STEP program the government probably already has and can retrieve information about you anyway🙄

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Thanks 1

I believe this is a good thing to post. I've personally never heard of it, and it is good to consider your options. I do think it is good to bring up the discussion of potentially hazardous travel and understanding embassy support.

With that said, a lot of people are going to overvalue exactly what this is. There no doubt would be someone out there who views this as political evac coverage, while failing to take legitimate precautions. When it seems like what, they would send an email that says stay away from the terrorists? Let's be real, no one is cruising to Afghanistan or North Korea here.

For me, I really value international cellphone coverage and having backup ID. I couldn't imagine thinking you have a plan for safety in another country and have no way to contact anyone.

• Like 1