Mask specifications

codeyell0

Is there a definition of what the mask must be?  is it just a face covering? I'm looking at different options. 
I was looking at the neck coverings which can be pulled up and dropped down. They have some that are cooling material and something i can't lose easily
I don't like the feeling of the mask hanging from my ears when not around my mouth. also looking for options for my kids they lose them weekly in school i can only imagine a cruise

My understanding regarding masks is that it is less about any face covering and more about quality of said covering.

For fabric masks, It needs to be at least 3 layers of tightly woven material .

if you hold it up to the sun, no light should get through.

Bandanas and T Shirts are NOT going to cut it. Stretchy woven neck gators need to have same level of protection ie: 3 layers tightly woven.

Also, fabric masks should be washed everyday. I would think this would be a pain on a cruise. 
Procedure masks and other disposable masks may be a better choice for a cruise or airline flight. Start each day with a clean mask.

MSC is supplying a mask each day to YC guests , currently.
Final caveat….

masks are only effective if they are worn correctly . No “chin diapers”

46 minutes ago, phissy said:

My understanding regarding masks is that it is less about any face covering and more about quality of said covering.

For fabric masks, It needs to be at least 3 layers of tightly woven material .

if you hold it up to the sun, no light should get through.

Bandanas and T Shirts are NOT going to cut it. Stretchy woven neck gators need to have same level of protection ie: 3 layers tightly woven.

Also, fabric masks should be washed everyday. I would think this would be a pain on a cruise. 
Procedure masks and other disposable masks may be a better choice for a cruise or airline flight. Start each day with a clean mask.

MSC is supplying a mask each day to YC guests , currently.
Final caveat….

masks are only effective if they are worn correctly . No “chin diapers”

So many masks you buy are just pieces of cloth and are a joke. 
So 3 ply   ok that works. 
though again unless its rated it is more of a show IMO.  
I see people ware the same masks day after day. EWW  but they are wearing a mask which is all many people care about.  Let alone they are spreading more because they wear that nasty thing everyday and touch the crap out of it.
I came up with an idea for most people since washing is not sanitary unless you have medical washers 
Some have steam but I'm not convinced they kill much of anything "IRON THEM"  irons reach over 200 degrees which will kill covid among many other things
I know on a cruise you can't do this.  just saying.  sorry thats my rant

1 hour ago, codeyell0 said:

Is there a definition of what the mask must be?

While MSC website does not specify, I think you can find what is required in the technical specifications in the Conditional Sail Orders and the CDC "mask mandate".  Here is the link:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/masks/mask-travel-guidance.html

The above comments are generally in line with this, but if you wanted the official source, there it is ...

• Like 2

I usually wear the paper surgical masks, but we just purchased those "As seen on TV" Copper Fit cloth masks with a lanyard that's part of the mask.  Started wearing them yesterday to visit a parent in assisted living, and they're not bad. I'll bring both on our upcoming cruise.

4 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

also looking for options for my kids they lose them weekly in school

I send my kid to school with his mask on a lanyard. He also has an extra mask in a ziplock bag, since it's 90 degrees around here and a mask can get wet.

We don't do neck gaiters - they are not protective enough.

3 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

So many masks you buy are just pieces of cloth and are a joke. 
So 3 ply   ok that works. 
though again unless its rated it is more of a show IMO.  
I see people ware the same masks day after day. EWW  but they are wearing a mask which is all many people care about.  Let alone they are spreading more because they wear that nasty thing everyday and touch the crap out of it.
I came up with an idea for most people since washing is not sanitary unless you have medical washers 
Some have steam but I'm not convinced they kill much of anything "IRON THEM"  irons reach over 200 degrees which will kill covid among many other things
I know on a cruise you can't do this.  just saying.  sorry thats my rant

won't work on a cruise, but we hang our cloth masks from a hook in our car.  The Georgia heat/sun inside that car will kill EVERYTHING in 15 minutes😉

• Haha 2

I was trying to alleviate the on off put in pocket, put it on take it off put back in pocket. 

We have not had mask mandates here and I've been vaccinated and living in the country masks have not been a big deal.  Haven't even looked at what's out there until recently 

I did find these    neck gaiters with replaceable filters
https://www.amazon.com/Gaiter-Cover-Scarf-Carbon-Filters/dp/B08D3L5DR5/ref=sr_1_56?dchild=1&keywords=face+mask+2+ply+around+neck&qid=1629836253&sr=8-56

and lanyards in all shapes and sizes

1 minute ago, bafinegan said:

won't work on a cruise, but we hang our cloth masks from a hook in our car.  The Georgia heat/sun inside that car will kill EVERYTHING in 15 minutes😉

I'm from Atlanta I know what your saying.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

You may see it as the same mask, but I have a 6-pack of reusable 3-ply cloth masks that look the same  (I actually have several packs, so I don't have to wash them every day - just about once a week or so). I wash them by hand after every use and dry them in the GA sun.

P.S. I love Skin360 masks.

https://skin360.com/collections/physical/products/6-pack-premium-reusable-cloth-face-mask-ml?variant=32613106155556

20 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

You may see it as the same mask, but I have a 6-pack of reusable 3-ply cloth masks that look the same  (I actually have several packs, so I don't have to wash them every day - just about once a week or so). I wash them by hand after every use and dry them in the GA sun.

P.S. I love Skin360 masks.

https://skin360.com/collections/physical/products/6-pack-premium-reusable-cloth-face-mask-ml?variant=32613106155556

I have sewn two batches of four masks each that look the same (within the same batch). A patchwork Fat Quarter was just enough for four masks.

• Like 1