Venice for the Sirena

johnnyd

We were in Zadar Nov 2021 and enjoyed strolling around old town (took the shuttle in), having a glass of wine at a couple different cafés, and sampling some of the bakery items (lots of walk-up windows). Prices were super low relative to US$. We had a lovely time - enjoy! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Trieste seems like an interesting city, and also allows excursions to the Postojna Caves or (long drive) to Ljubljana.

Zadar, Croatia offers excursions to Krka National Park among other things.

But it is not Venice.

Terri

3 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

But it is not Venice.

Terri

Right – you can actually walk to where you want to go rather than climb over bridges and run into blind alleys at every turn.  [Sorry, Venice is not my favorite city.  YMMV, and obviously does...'

• Like 1

i guess I would be quite upset if I were told at this late date that the disembarkation port was changed.  Oceania has known this for a while.  It appears unfair to me that they waited this long to let people know.  

The Nautica passengers also were notified today.  Their cruise ends in Venice on May 15.  

I am on that ship.  However I am leaving in Rome. But if I were staying on and finding out that I would be two hours away from Venice I would not be a happy camper.  Venice is one of my favorite cities.

I am booked on a cruise next year that is supposed to end in Venice.  We have already been told that we are not docking in Barcelona, but Tarragona.  Take away Venice as well, which they will do, but have not yet told us, and I do not see the reason to make final payment for this cruise.  It is no longer going to the ports where I want to go.

it is not so much that Venice is or is not your favorite city, it is that they waited until the last minute to let you know.

Terri

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

i guess I would be quite upset if I were told at this late date that the disembarkation port was changed.  Oceania has known this for a while.  It appears unfair to me that they waited this long to let people know.  

The Nautica passengers also were notified today.  Their cruise ends in Venice on May 15.  

I will be surprised if Nautica actually docks in Venice

Since Venice is closed to most cruise ships  the lines are looking at where the ships can dock

Not just Oceania but other lines that had Venice as their embarkation/disembarkation port

As others have mentioned  other ports are not being used but space may be limited 

JMO

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I will be surprised if Nautica actually docks in Venice

Since Venice is closed to most cruise ships  the lines are looking at where the ships can dock

Not just Oceania but other lines that had Venice as their embarkation/disembarkation port

As others have mentioned  other ports are not being used but space may be limited 

JMO

The Nautica passengers were notified they would be disembarking in Trieste.

Not happy.

Terri

21 hours ago, nannycheryl said:

Just received notice from Oceania that Sirena will not be going to Venice at all during our trip in April. Instead we will visit Trieste, Italy and Zagard, Croatia. They have just posted some excursions, but no prices yet. 
Does anyone know anything about either destination?

When are you going in April?  We are going on the 19th.  The excursions in both Tireste and Zadar look very interesting.  Zadar is known for their beautiful National Park and we will go to one with multi-teared waterfalls.  In Tireste we will take an excursion to Marano and other small islands of Venice.  

1 minute ago, nannycheryl said:

We are also on Sirena April 19 from Rome to Istanbul May 6.

We are really looking forward to this cruise!  Did you book a lot of Oceania's excursions?  When I was on the Riviera last month, I asked how many were booked on the Sirena and at that time was only half full.

We have booked two excursions through Oceania…. Santorini Panorama on 5/2 and  Ephesus Panoramic on 5/4. We also have a tour of Amalfi booked as well as one of Olympia. We have added a day in Rome pre cruise and will end with 3 days in Istanbul post cruise. 
I have been wondering if the number of passengers will increase the closer the day comes. 
I see that you are from Hudson, MA… Of the four of us, Helen is from Holbrook, John and Anne are from Falmouth and I moved to Conway NH from Holbrook last year. 

Any info why Vista (2023) shows embarkation/disembarkation in Venice, as they continue to cancel Venice on all cruises shortly prior to cruise date?
Our Riviera cruise 8/28 switched Venice to Malta….not Trieste, removed all Croatia ports and replaced with unheard of ports in Greece and Italy.  Numerous cancellations for both 7 & 10 day segments. 

19 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Any info why Vista (2023) shows embarkation/disembarkation in Venice, as they continue to cancel Venice on all cruises shortly prior to cruise date?
Our Riviera cruise 8/28 switched Venice to Malta….not Trieste, removed all Croatia ports and replaced with unheard of ports in Greece and Italy.  Numerous cancellations for both 7 & 10 day segments. 

I believe that the actual embarkation/disembarkation port for Venice is very fluid and unknown, so O uses Venice as the name of the port but it could be Trieste, the commercial port, or another port created outside of Venice.   VISTA sailings in 2023 are 1 year and 1/2 away.   Your port being changed to Malta was indeed a HUGE change and was the only cruise with that drastic of a port change.

18 minutes ago, basor said:

I believe that the actual embarkation/disembarkation port for Venice is very fluid and unknown, so O uses Venice as the name of the port but it could be Trieste, the commercial port, or another port created outside of Venice.   VISTA sailings in 2023 are 1 year and 1/2 away.   Your port being changed to Malta was indeed a HUGE change and was the only cruise with that drastic of a port change.

Yes, it was a HUGE change….coupled with Croatia ports cancelled, resulted in over 200 cabins open for 7 day and only slightly fewer for 10 day. As there are no sea days during 17 days, we’re ok with staying on board at several of the “new” ports or go to local beaches.  Might even be pleasantly surprised. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 7:48 AM, Cruze4Ever said:

We are really looking forward to this cruise!  Did you book a lot of Oceania's excursions?  When I was on the Riviera last month, I asked how many were booked on the Sirena and at that time was only half full.

We have booked two excursions through Oceania…. Santorini Panorama on 5/2 and  Ephesus Panoramic on 5/4. We also have a tour of Amalfi booked as well as one of Olympia. We have added a day in Rome pre cruise and will end with 3 days in Istanbul post cruise. 
I have been wondering if the number of passengers will increase the closer the day comes. 

On 3/16/2022 at 1:00 AM, Jayne E said:

Yes, it was a HUGE change….coupled with Croatia ports cancelled, resulted in over 200 cabins open for 7 day and only slightly fewer for 10 day. As there are no sea days during 17 days, we’re ok with staying on board at several of the “new” ports or go to local beaches.  Might even be pleasantly surprised. 

Croatia's ports were cancelled?  We are going to Dubrovnik and Zadar...are the cancelled?