Updated cdc recommends testing 2 days prior, not 3 days

firefly333

If I recall correctly, the CSO is now just a guideline, correct?

Best response to this is to have testing available at embarkation and charge us for it.  Testing is nuts right now, and folks are scrambling 3 days before - 2 days feels really anxiety ridden!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Best response to this is to have testing available at embarkation and charge us for it.  Testing is nuts right now, and folks are scrambling 3 days before - 2 days feels really anxiety ridden!

Rcl boards interpret it as unenforceable in florida .. but I'm out of Galveston. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl boards interpret it as unenforceable in florida .. but I'm out of Galveston. 

Has Carnival been differing the requirements Florida vs Texas?  It seems to me they are the same.  Testing is for everyone every port.

Well, I don’t think this is much of a change. It says naat (aka pcr) for unvaccinated 3 days before or naat/antigen for vaccinated 2 days before. I’ve seen travel requirements for antigen as soon as 24 hours before, since those come back in minutes. 2 days is reasonable for an antigen test.

• Like 1

If Carnival or other cruise lines start requiring the test 2 days prior, wouldn't they have to notify all passengers of the newer protocols?  I am scrambling to get tested 3 days prior for an Oct 2 embarkation on HAL.  Also have a Nov 7th with CCL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banditswife said:

If Carnival or other cruise lines start requiring the test 2 days prior, wouldn't they have to notify all passengers of the newer protocols?  I am scrambling to get tested 3 days prior for an Oct 2 embarkation on HAL.  Also have a Nov 7th with CCL.

The link that Firefly gave says the cruise lines have the option to test at the pier.  That might be a goat rope, but I'd rather spend a couple hours in line for a test than have to get one in that short of a window.  I'll gladly pay for it.

• Like 6

Just now, balcony bound said:

The link that Firefly gave says the cruise lines have the option to test at the pier.  That might be a goat rope, but I'd rather spend a couple hours in line for a test than have to get one in that short of a window.  I'll gladly pay for it.

Agree.  But I can see problems with testing at the pier.  Then if a positive test happens, you have already most likely flown to your destination & wouldn't be allowed to fly home.  I guess you'd be required to quarantine in the embarkation city.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Agree.  But I can see problems with testing at the pier.  Then if a positive test happens, you have already most likely flown to your destination & wouldn't be allowed to fly home.  I guess you'd be required to quarantine in the embarkation city.

Good point.  Maybe the option to test at the pier or on your own.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

The CSO ping pongs back and forth. But Carnival is following the CDC.

Not for cruise reasons but for work exposure - My husbands rapid test got cancelled for tomorrow by CVS. We can’t even find a rapid here. They keep getting cancelled on us. Our PCRs have taken 36-48 hours to come back when we did them recently. We were planning on 3 days earlier taking a pcr  for our cruise and trying to find a rapid before we left just in case. This throws a serious wrench into the plans if the standard changes to 48 hours. 

• Like 2

Seems like the CDC is now doing everything they can to stop cruising again without actually doing so. What an absolutely vile organization.  I truly hope the cruise lines fight back.  There is so much risk of COVID-19 exposure everywhere and the CDC decides to single out the one place where almost everyone is vaccinated AND tested!? There are no words.... 

• Like 23

4 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Seems like the CDC is now doing everything they can to stop cruising again without actually doing so. What an absolutely vile organization.  I truly hope the cruise lines fight back.  There is so much risk of COVID-19 exposure everywhere and the CDC decides to single out the one place where almost everyone is vaccinated AND tested!? There are no words.... 

Land hospitals are overflowing. Where would you put an additional ship load of covid patients?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Well, I don’t think this is much of a change. It says naat (aka pcr) for unvaccinated 3 days before or naat/antigen for vaccinated 2 days before. I’ve seen travel requirements for antigen as soon as 24 hours before, since those come back in minutes. 2 days is reasonable for an antigen test.

The issue is finding one in many places. We keep having them cancelled due to no supplies. PCRs have been taking 48 hrs here which cuts it close

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Land hospitals are overflowing. Where would you put an additional ship load of covid patients?

What possible science exists to insinuate a “ship load” would need hospitalization? 

Vast majority are vaxxed, all are tested, and most cruises are 7 days or less. With those parameters, there’s no reason to believe a mass outbreak would occur or require large numbers of hospitalizations.  

• Like 14