Updated cdc recommends testing 2 days prior, not 3 days

firefly333

2 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

It actually isn’t as backwards as we all think. Unvaxxed still need to test at the pier so 3 days prior and they will retest before boarding.  They are tightening the window for the vaxxed since they do not have to test again at the pier. We all know testing is just a point in time and I’m guessing they feel like they’d weed out more positives as you can be neg one day and positive the next. Just cutting one more day out. Does it make it much more stressful trying to get a test? Heck yes. 

Good point.

As it's currently written, if adopted by the cruise lines a rapid test is pretty much the only option since a PCR test typically might take 2 to 3 days to get results. Particularly for anyone who needs a negative test result before flying to the port a day early.

2 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Good point.

As it's currently written, if adopted by the cruise lines a rapid test is pretty much the only option since a PCR test typically might take 2 to 3 days to get results. Particularly for anyone who needs a negative test result before flying to the port a day early.

Yep and trying to find rapids is hard at the major pharmacies. Husband got cancelled for today. We have found two urgent cares who will do PCRs with results by 7 pm the next day for travel with 0 cost and they have rapids we can pay out of pocket for as well. However, their rapid price is more than the emed test cost. We’re weighing our options for October and continuing to look for places in our area.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bevv said:

Our cruise is in 15 days, and the CVS I plan on using allows for scheduling in advance. I had it scheduled for the Friday before the cruise, now will move it to Saturday.  I am a planner and would rather have it on my calendar than have to search for an appointment the day before I need it.

Just an FYI have a backup because Saint Greg got his CVS results the day after he boarded the ship.  Was good thing he had a Walmart test done as well.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Just an FYI have a backup because Saint Greg got his CVS results the day after he boarded the ship.  Was good thing he had a Walmart test done as well.

We are doing the antigen test.. so 30 minute turn around time. But I have a list of other sites in case CVS closes testing for some reason

2 minutes ago, Bevv said:

We are doing the antigen test.. so 30 minute turn around time. But I have a list of other sites in case CVS closes testing for some reason

Yeah Saint Greg had an appointment at CVS for antigen and when he arrived they said they were out and did PCR.  Don't count on them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bevv said:

Not sure which one he did but check out his thread to find out.  I believe he was supposed to have his results same day but didnt recieve them until the day after boarding the ship.

1 minute ago, balcony bound said:

Yeah Saint Greg had an appointment at CVS for antigen and when he arrived they said they were out and did PCR.  Don't count on them.

oh yes thats what it was and they had just confirmed his appt and type by email prior to his showing up so they changed it without notifying him

12 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Seems like the CDC is now doing everything they can to stop cruising again without actually doing so. What an absolutely vile organization.  I truly hope the cruise lines fight back.  There is so much risk of COVID-19 exposure everywhere and the CDC decides to single out the one place where almost everyone is vaccinated AND tested!? There are no words.... 

Your statement is very accurate. The point about "almost everyone" is the issue. We all who can get vaccinated should get vaccinated. I know there are exceptions. 

12 minutes ago, Bevv said:

We had a rapid one scheduled for today at CVS for my husband as he got exposed at work. They cancelled it on us yesterday. We have yet to find another rapid spot that actually has supplies and/or appointments and I’m in the northeast where it’s not super crazy right now. 

The Cruise lines are operating as a business entity. They are really concerned about customer loyalty and also customer safety. The Cruise industry reads all of the latest data, statistics and updates as we all do. They are also waiting to see the total "Vaccinated" numbers rise across the Country prior to relaxing any current recommendations/mandates. 

Just my $.02.

2 hours ago, BroadwayGirl said:

It actually isn’t as backwards as we all think. Unvaxxed still need to test at the pier so 3 days prior and they will retest before boarding.  They are tightening the window for the vaxxed since they do not have to test again at the pier. We all know testing is just a point in time and I’m guessing they feel like they’d weed out more positives as you can be neg one day and positive the next. Just cutting one more day out. Does it make it much more stressful trying to get a test? Heck yes. 

Does anyone at the CDC realize that stress is a terrible factor for maintaining good health?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I guess that ruling by the judge in favor of Florida which took away the CDC;s requirements ended up meaning nothing.

What ruling? The cases aren't over, are they?

But of course it means something. It means cruise lines aren't as dumb as some politicians.

42 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

But of course it means something. It means cruise lines aren't as dumb as some politicians.

Florida is not required to follow the cso because of the ruling. Many posts. Here is a good one. Cdc is doing a grey color for ships who are not following cso per biker who is a great neutral poster. 

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

New 'gray' designation

In other updates, CDC added a 'gray' designation in its color-coded system that applies ships not choosing to follow the conditional sailing order and language reflecting that as of July 23, the CSO and its accompanying measures are nonbinding recommendations for ships operating from Florida as a result of the state being granted a preliminary injunction limiting the agency's authority over how COVID-19 is managed on cruise ships.

As earlier reported, cruise lines with ships operating from Florida are continuing to voluntarily comply with the CSO, which remains a requirement in other states.

CDC COVID update cruise lines already doing, adds gray color code (seatrade-cruise.com)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Florida is not required to follow the cso because of the ruling. Many posts. Here is a good one. Cdc is doing a grey color for ships who are not following cso per biker who is a great neutral poster. 

So far, there are no "gray" ships.

Here is the exact wording from the cruise ship color site

As of July 23, 2021, the CSO and accompanying measures, such as technical instructions, are nonbinding recommendations for cruise ships arriving in, located within, or departing from a port in Florida. CDC is continuing to operate the CSO as a voluntary program for such ships that choose to follow the CSO measures voluntarily. Ships operating out of Florida ports that choose to not follow the CSO are designated as “Gray.” This designation means that CDC has not reviewed or confirmed the cruise ship operator’s health and safety protocols.

The cruise lines should provide testing at the pier or local area as a good backup for those who run into issues with testing requirement timelines and tests.  This will take a lot of the stress out of cruising if people know that they can test at or near the port if all else fails.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You absolutely know what ruling. And it has not been overturned so it is still in effect at least in Florida. Remember the judge ruled that Florida was hurt because the CDC's rules were too arbitrary.  One does wonder about the reasoning of the judge since cruises have started from Florida with those rules being changed to recommendations, but still followed. 

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You absolutely know what ruling. And it has not been overturned so it is still in effect at least in Florida. Remember the judge ruled that Florida was hurt because the CDC's rules were too arbitrary.  One does wonder about the reasoning of the judge since cruises have started from Florida with those rules being changed to recommendations, but still followed. 

Remember it was overturned and then reversed. It will likely flip flop some more. That no cruise line joined the Florida suit told us they would ignore it. And now NCL's victory puts everything on hold.

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Remember it was overturned and then reversed. It will likely flip flop some more. That no cruise line joined the Florida suit told us they would ignore it. And now NCL's victory puts everything on hold.

It was only reversed for less than 24 hours, and then all of a sudden it was upheld. Are you forgetting that fact.

As for the NCL versus Florida decision---so far it only applies to NCL. And also there were other rules that became recommendations. The NCL decision was only about allowing them to require proof of vaccination so they could sail 100% vaccinated; it was not the same case or set of facts.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It was only reversed for less than 24 hours, and then all of a sudden it was upheld. Are you forgetting that fact.

I'm not forgetting the appeals court hasn't ruled on the appeal in any way. Or any future appeals. The case continues to be moot, because the cruise lines are following the CDC and science.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

As for the NCL versus Florida decision---so far it only applies to NCL. And also there were other rules that became recommendations. The NCL decision was only about allowing them to require proof of vaccination so they could sail 100% vaccinated; it was not the same case or set of facts.

Just a matter of dominoes.

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I'm not forgetting the appeals court hasn't ruled on the appeal in any way. Or any future appeals. The case continues to be moot, because the cruise lines are following the CDC and science.

Just a matter of dominoes.

It is not moot because at least at the moment, the CDC is not being allowed to set requirements. If that becomes a precedent, there could be consequences in the future, and not only in regards to the cruise industry.

Do you really not see a difference between rules that must be followed and recommendations that may be followed. At the moment they are being followed, but that does not mean it will always be the case.