Updated cdc recommends testing 2 days prior, not 3 days

firefly333

1 hour ago, topaz123 said:

I dont think CCL realizes the serious bind cruisers are in , in finding these RAPID ANTIGEN tests....scrambling to find a pharmacy, that offers such, and then staying up all night on the computer trying to get an opening on the schedule, hoping the pharmacy does not cancel or have problems.  Folks, this is a Terrible situation to be in, and needs some guidance and assistance from CCL and all the cruise lines. Very poor....

Bermuda ( recent cruise) requires a negative PCR test within 3 days of arrival.  It could not be an anigen or NAAT test.  It could be a rapid PCR test.  And a copy of the negative result had to be sent to Bermuda no later than 24 hours prior to get a Bermuda travel authorization that allows entry. Cruise left on a Tues, that meant trying to get a PCR test done over the week end.  The only places we could find cost $150.  So we had to suck up the cost if we wanted to cruise.  Point is, there are tests out there, but they probably aren't free.  We just considered it part of the cruise fare.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, topaz123 said:

I dont think CCL realizes the serious bind cruisers are in , in finding these RAPID ANTIGEN tests....scrambling to find a pharmacy, that offers such, and then staying up all night on the computer trying to get an opening on the schedule, hoping the pharmacy does not cancel or have problems.  Folks, this is a Terrible situation to be in, and needs some guidance and assistance from CCL and all the cruise lines. Very poor....

In all fairness it shouldn’t be put on the shoulders of the cruiselines. They have had to do enough personally for their own companies in order to be compliant with the CDC. Some things must be left up to the customer. They are not forcing anyone to cruise nor are they the creators of the current CSO.

Edited by SwordBlazer Cruising
Spelling

42 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

In all fairness it shouldn’t be put on the shoulders of the cruiselines. They have had to do enough personally for their own companies in order to be compliant with the CDC. Some things must be left up to the customer. They are not forcing anyone to cruise nor are they the creators of the current CSO.

True....but the " angst" meter just went to DEFCON 5.  What a complete mess.....try and gat the required test ( antigen), if you are lucky enough to find...and then get ready to try and book a test as thousands sit at computers trying to schedule...then hope you get a result in the 3 day window.  I LOVE CRUISING , but folks, this is really getting to be an irritant that has no solution....else We cancel and head to Vegas. Very disappointed on how this is playing out....

• Like 5

10 hours ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

What happened to they do not have to follow the CDC's CSO as that judge in Florida ruled that it was arbitrary and harmful to the economy of Florida? Remember that his decision has NOT been overturned.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

What happened to they do not have to follow the CDC's CSO as that judge in Florida ruled that it was arbitrary and harmful to the economy of Florida? Remember that his decision has NOT been overturned.

That is correct it is arbitrary. The opinion I was trying to convey was that the cruiselines shouod not have to take the brunt of everything including providing testing for 3,000 people on average. I know there are some that say they should and I respect their stance but I think this should be totally up to the guest. 

12 hours ago, topaz123 said:

True....but the " angst" meter just went to DEFCON 5.  What a complete mess.....try and gat the required test ( antigen), if you are lucky enough to find...and then get ready to try and book a test as thousands sit at computers trying to schedule...then hope you get a result in the 3 day window.  I LOVE CRUISING , but folks, this is really getting to be an irritant that has no solution....else We cancel and head to Vegas. Very disappointed on how this is playing out....

If they put the 2-day window for Nov. cruises, then we'll be forced to cancel and pray that we recover something.  Our test day would be on Thanksgiving and we're flying on Friday.  Am I to understand that they will only accept a rapid test that has been monitored?  Is there any chance that we could find someone to monitor tests for the 4 of us on Thanksgiving?  What happens to our FCC and onboard credit since this is our 3rd attempt.  The forgotten souls are the poor T.A.'s who don't get anything for rebooking over and over.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The cruise lines in Florida are voluntarily following the CSO and have stated as such. Remember, the cruiselines declined to participate in the suit. This was a Desantis suit..not one from the lines.   The cruiselines have to work with the cdc for years to come. Also, the CDC said any ship not following the CSO (designation grey on their color chart) will be subject to complete masking requirements for federal transportation, extra inspections, etc.  They are going to follow the CSO. 

3 minutes ago, Kellyann said:

If they put the 2-day window for Nov. cruises, then we'll be forced to cancel and pray that we recover something.  Our test day would be on Thanksgiving and we're flying on Friday.  Am I to understand that they will only accept a rapid test that has been monitored?  Is there any chance that we could find someone to monitor tests for the 4 of us on Thanksgiving?  What happens to our FCC and onboard credit since this is our 3rd attempt.  The forgotten souls are the poor T.A.'s who don't get anything for rebooking over and over.

Emed.com is your ticket.  They are the online proctoring test company. You can get 6 monitored test kits for 150 bucks. They arrived in less than 48 hrs on my doorstep. They are pretty much open 24/7 online with their medical guides to do the tests. You may have more of a hold queue around Thanksgiving with a high volume of travelers but multiple family members can “wait in line”..each on their own device for their personal test. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

That would resolve the testing issue, but Vegas is requiring masks indoors too if that part bothers you.

The best worry- and stress-free vacation is hiding in one's basement until all your storage food is gone.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kellyann said:

We are sailing the Saturday after Thanksgiving and will be driving to the port early on Thanksgiving Day.  We will be ordering the emed test kits and will either test the morning before we leave home or when we arrive at our hotel.

If they go to the two day option it is our only choice, but we are comfortable using them after seeing the great video posted here on the boards that walks you through the whole procedure….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroadwayGirl said:

The cruise lines in Florida are voluntarily following the CSO and have stated as such. Remember, the cruiselines declined to participate in the suit. This was a Desantis suit..not one from the lines.   The cruiselines have to work with the cdc for years to come. Also, the CDC said any ship not following the CSO (designation grey on their color chart) will be subject to complete masking requirements for federal transportation, extra inspections, etc.  They are going to follow the CSO. 

They had no choice, the CDC offering it up as an option is a joke.  If they did not follow, the CDC would be all over them with inspections, delayed embarkations and debarkations, and that would be the beginning.  From their view (the CDC), they really would like the ships not to sail, especially from Florida.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Yes, I realize that they are "voluntarily" following the regulations that became recommendations and that they did not join in the suit. I believe NCL even took the side of the CDC in the appeal of the judge's decision.

I was trying to get across how wrong the judge was that these regulations were what was stopping cruises from restarting in Florida as they restarted with the lines following them. And also that they are now just recommendations. I have a feeling that their lawyers have said you better follow them as if there are any cases of Covid aboard we then can use we are following all CDC recommendations as a defense against any lawsuit. Otherwise a plaintiff's attorney can make the argument that we are not following best practices as we are not following the CDC recommendations.

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, I realize that they are "voluntarily" following the regulations that became recommendations and that they did not join in the suit. I believe NCL even took the side of the CDC in the appeal of the judge's decision.

I was trying to get across how wrong the judge was that these regulations were what was stopping cruises from restarting in Florida as they restarted with the lines following them. And also that they are now just recommendations. I have a feeling that their lawyers have said you better follow them as if there are any cases of Covid aboard we then can use we are following all CDC recommendations as a defense against any lawsuit. Otherwise a plaintiff's attorney can make the argument that we are not following best practices as we are not following the CDC recommendations.

Regardless of the lawsuit, they really had no choice.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

We are sailing the Saturday after Thanksgiving and will be driving to the port early on Thanksgiving Day.  We will be ordering the emed test kits and will either test the morning before we leave home or when we arrive at our hotel.

If they go to the two day option it is our only choice, but we are comfortable using them after seeing the great video posted here on the boards that walks you through the whole procedure….

This is our plan as well.  We cruise in December and were planning on flying in Thursday before our cruise embarking on Saturday.  I ordered 6 of the Emed kits because I'm concerned with them selling out at some point.  Some co-workers in my area have been unable to get antigen tests here locally and have had to do the PCR.  Getting the tests done at MCO is an option, but $65 each.  Not sure how tricky that would be with thousands wanting to be tested.

If they drop the days from 3 to 2 we will take the tests with us (plan on two each) and take them in Florida (they are small enough I can put on our carry-on/backpacks).

With everyone wanting to be tested all the time, its no wonder tests are very scarce! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Regardless of the lawsuit, they really had no choice.

Of course they had choices. For instance the state of Florida said if you want to ask vaccine status you risk a fine up to $5000 per violation. And yet they all somehow found a way to determine the vaccine status of their passengers.

They chose voluntarily to comply with each and every former requirement, now recommendation, of the CDC's CSO.

Just now, ontheweb said:

Of course they had choices. For instance the state of Florida said if you want to ask vaccine status you risk a fine up to $5000 per violation. And yet they all somehow found a way to determine the vaccine status of their passengers.

They chose voluntarily to comply with each and every former requirement, now recommendation, of the CDC's CSO.

You are correct, they had choices, the others sucked, so the Judge said anyway.  All been rehashed many times tho, I will move on.

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

You are correct, they had choices, the others sucked, so the Judge said anyway.  All been rehashed many times tho, I will move on.

I thought what the judge said was that the CDC requirements did not make sense and were economically harmful to the state of Florida (the plaintiff in the case.)

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Aren't you the one that has said all along that the CDC is trying to stop cruising entirely?

Are you trying to make my point?  If the CDC says they “recommended” 3 days prior and now “recommend” 2 days (harder to achieve), my view would be it is yet another attempt by the CDC to make cruising more difficult (they would say safer, which we can now say, for them safer means not sailing at all).   

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

I thought what the judge said was that the CDC requirements did not make sense and were economically harmful to the state of Florida (the plaintiff in the case.)

I bet you did.  His comments were pretty specific in how over bearing the CDC was, over playing their mandates and so much more.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Are you trying to make my point?  If the CDC says they “recommended” 3 days prior and now “recommend” 2 days (harder to achieve), my view would be it is yet another attempt by the CDC to make cruising more difficult (they would say safer, which we can now say, for them safer means not sailing at all).   

Those are the new recommendations; let us see if the cruise lines decide to follow them or not. There has been more than enough stress caused by the 3 day rule.

• Like 1