Updated cdc recommends testing 2 days prior, not 3 days

firefly333

If they change it to 2 days, then we are really screwed.  Cruising on 11/27, flying 11/26 and Thanksgiving on 11/25 (our 2 day window).  Where do they think we're going to find a place to test us on Thanksgiving.  Furthermore if we tested negative when it was a 3-day window, then think about all the possibilities for infection between Wednesday and Saturday.  People with family the next day being Thanksgiving, going to an airport and mixing with hundreds, getting on a plane and then another airport with hundreds more.  Do the math I could pick it up anywhere along the way.  Testing is just a distraction so the CDC can make like they're really doing something.  What a bogus operation.  Don't bother disagreeing because I don't really care what you think.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kellyann said:

If they change it to 2 days, then we are really screwed.  Cruising on 11/27, flying 11/26 and Thanksgiving on 11/25 (our 2 day window).  Where do they think we're going to find a place to test us on Thanksgiving.  Furthermore if we tested negative when it was a 3-day window, then think about all the possibilities for infection between Wednesday and Saturday.  People with family the next day being Thanksgiving, going to an airport and mixing with hundreds, getting on a plane and then another airport with hundreds more.  Do the math I could pick it up anywhere along the way.  Testing is just a distraction so the CDC can make like they're really doing something.  What a bogus operation.  Don't bother disagreeing because I don't really care what you think.

I got the emed proctored test. Is that a possibility? 

8 hours ago, sailingships said:

So unfair to the children. They have to have the PCR test right?

I dont think this applies to them. The article still says that unvaxxed should get tested 3 days out. From what i read this suggestion only applies to people that are vaccinated which honestly is not a big deal since vaccinated people can get rapid tests.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kellyann said:

You can get rapid tested at most airports now, you could also book a rapid test after you land, I saw today that there are companies that will do rapid testing at port Canaveral...not sure where you are leaving from but that could be a last resort.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Well, I don’t think this is much of a change. It says naat (aka pcr) for unvaccinated 3 days before or naat/antigen for vaccinated 2 days before. I’ve seen travel requirements for antigen as soon as 24 hours before, since those come back in minutes. 2 days is reasonable for an antigen test.

The issue is scheduling not the test itself. Where to get it if appointments available. Flying in early were to get tested and have results back in time. Don't need the aggravation when trying to get into vacation mode

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Land hospitals are overflowing. Where would you put an additional ship load of covid patients?

Have you not been following the news? Yes, vaccinated people have been getting breakthrough cases, but it is the unvaccinated including children not yet eligible that are filling those hospital beds. A shipload of Covid patients who need hospitalization will not happen with a 100% vaccinated ship. And you have protocols to stem the spread of even the less severe cases.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Well, I don’t think this is much of a change. It says naat (aka pcr) for unvaccinated 3 days before or naat/antigen for vaccinated 2 days before. I’ve seen travel requirements for antigen as soon as 24 hours before, since those come back in minutes. 2 days is reasonable for an antigen test.

The timeframe for antigen is reasonable if you are not considering people's travel plans and locations. I am driving in and have multiple testing options where I live. Antigen takes about 30 minutes to get results.

For those who are flying and might be spending a day or more at the port before the cruise it becomes a big headache to work that timetable.  Also for those who have limited testing places near them.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bevv said:

The timeframe for antigen is reasonable if you are not considering people's travel plans and locations. I am driving in and have multiple testing options where I live. Antigen takes about 30 minutes to get results.

For those who are flying and might be spending a day or more at the port before the cruise it becomes a big headache to work that timetable.  Also for those who have limited testing places near them.

And one has to wonder if the CDC ever considers how practical their recommendations are.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bevv said:

Thanks for keeping us informed with the current information.  I scheduled our tests for our next cruise yesterday, now I have to cancel and reschedule them.  

No it's still a cdc recommendation. Carnival has not said it will do this. 

I'm waiting for carnival to change protocols.

• Like 1

Where I live, I've seen notices on local testing sites that they can't guarantee having enough rapid tests when making your appt. I'm going to use an actual medical facility rather than a pharmacy for my appt to be safe, and have a backup plan in place. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And one has to wonder if the CDC ever considers how practical their recommendations are.

Lol I think the end game is to stop us from cruising. Make more and more roadblocks. I dont think they want cruising to be easy or practical. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

No it's still a cdc recommendation. Carnival has not said it will do this. 

I'm waiting for carnival to change protocols.

I guess that ruling by the judge in favor of Florida which took away the CDC;s requirements ended up meaning nothing.

Why the difference?  I would expect them to tighten up testing requirements for Unvaccinated individuals rather than fully vaccinated ones?  Why the extra day for unvaccinated individuals?

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Bevv said:

Thanks for keeping us informed with the current information.  I scheduled our tests for our next cruise yesterday, now I have to cancel and reschedule them.  

No need to change anything yet. These are just new recommendations, that doesn't mean the cruise lines (Carnival in this case) will automatically adopt them. And if Carnival does adopt them, the new rule may not be in effect immediately. I'm guessing your cruise is quite soon if you've already booked your test.

I find it amazing that they can update the testing requirements but not the color status page.  How long does it take for  "CDC is monitoring" or "ship remains under observation" to end and isnt  "ship remains under observation" the same as "CDC is monitoring"? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Earthworm Jim said:

No need to change anything yet. These are just new recommendations, that doesn't mean the cruise lines (Carnival in this case) will automatically adopt them. And if Carnival does adopt them, the new rule may not be in effect immediately. I'm guessing your cruise is quite soon if you've already booked your test.

Our cruise is in 15 days, and the CVS I plan on using allows for scheduling in advance. I had it scheduled for the Friday before the cruise, now will move it to Saturday.  I am a planner and would rather have it on my calendar than have to search for an appointment the day before I need it.

• Like 1

It's endless....., more restrictions on the vaccinated ? If they go with the 2 day rule, it's impossible to get a rapid test that quickly in many areas, unless there is some mass opening of sites. I think that's the end for many of us.

• Like 3

I suspect a CDC clarification is forthcoming. As it is, in this new guidance their table says an unvaccinated passenger needs to get a NAAT test within 3 days, but an vaccinated passenger needs to get either a NAAT or antigen test within 2 days.

Which would make a vaccinated passenger taking a NAAT test as more restrictive than an unvaccinated passenger, which makes no sense. I assume they meant to say NAAT within 3 days (regardless of vaccination status) or, if you're vaccinated, you can take an antigen test within 2 days.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Banditswife said:

If Carnival or other cruise lines start requiring the test 2 days prior, wouldn't they have to notify all passengers of the newer protocols?  I am scrambling to get tested 3 days prior for an Oct 2 embarkation on HAL.  Also have a Nov 7th with CCL.

Why would you be scrambling now? You still have 5 weeks before you sail and as far as I know, you can only schedule a test 2 weeks out.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I suspect a CDC clarification is forthcoming. As it is, in this new guidance their table says an unvaccinated passenger needs to get a NAAT test within 3 days, but an vaccinated passenger needs to get either a NAAT or antigen test within 2 days.

Which would make a vaccinated passenger taking a NAAT test as more restrictive than an unvaccinated passenger, which makes no sense. I assume they meant to say NAAT within 3 days (regardless of vaccination status) or, if you're vaccinated, you can take an antigen test within 2 days.

It actually isn’t as backwards as we all think. Unvaxxed still need to test at the pier so 3 days prior and they will retest before boarding.  They are tightening the window for the vaxxed since they do not have to test again at the pier. We all know testing is just a point in time and I’m guessing they feel like they’d weed out more positives as you can be neg one day and positive the next. Just cutting one more day out. Does it make it much more stressful trying to get a test? Heck yes. 

• Like 2

Even if it was meant to say 2 days for antigen, 3 days for NAAT, that doesn't leave any margin for error for anyone who flies into their cruise port the day before their cruise. You want to know that you have a negative test before you get on the plane, so for a Saturday cruise when you're flying in on Friday, you'd have to get either a NAAT test on Wednesday and hope to get results before your Friday flight, or an antigen test on Thursday.

One way to increase your odds may be to get an ID-NOW test, which Walgreens has. I believe that is a NAAT test, but you get results in an hour or so, So you could do that either Wednesday or Thursday in my example.

• Like 1