Rccl now requires a covid19 test within 2 days of sailing!

DJChick

Just now, Sea Dog said:

We are in the opposite situation as our air fare to San Juan are already purchased and two night hotel stay is paid for. We will get to our hotel and then have to take the test. If we fail we are screwed.

Oh man....you won't be the only ones stressing that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We are in the opposite situation as our air fare to San Juan is already purchased and two night hotel stay is paid for. We will get to our hotel and then have to take the test. If we fail we are screwed.

If this was my situation, I would at-home test before going to the airport, and at-home test again in the San Juan hotel.  The first one is for me alone, the second one is to satisfy the cruise contract.  

2 minutes ago, gmerick said:

If this was my situation, I would at-home test before going to the airport, and at-home test again in the San Juan hotel.  The first one is for me alone, the second one is to satisfy the cruise contract.  

Not a bad idea as eMed says they have procters 24/7. Our plane leaves at 6:30am so it could be a very early morning for us.

7 minutes ago, broadwaycam said:

Hope they don't make people buy the six pack.

I'd be fine with $40 each.  They have to buy them, receive them, split the 6-packs (or however they receive them, it'll probably be in bulk) then individually ship them out.  For a solo traveler like myself $40 is more than fine, way better than buying six of them at $150 for a single cruise then having no use for the other 5!

4 minutes ago, broadwaycam said:

You can't use your cellphone for the virtual visit for the test right? How will I know my computer even works with the system? I know the camera has to be able to scan a QR code.

Yes you can use your cellphone however emed recommended to me that a computer is better for the test just for the sake of viewing. Try on the computer first. If it doesn't work properly they will tell you to use the app.

2 minutes ago, CruisesOnMyMind said:

Yes you can use your cellphone however emed recommended to me that a computer is better for the test just for the sake of viewing. Try on the computer first. If it doesn't work properly they will tell you to use the app.

You can do the video chat in the app?

Edited by broadwaycam

Will we be able to use our IPads along with our cellphones? We are technically challenged seniors in our 80’s. We ordered our tests earlier today through EMed. Should arrive sometime on Tuesday. We sail on September 13. Thank goodness for Cruise Critic. Everyone is so helpful, but all of these changes are very stressful. Thanks.

Joanmarie

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kalajori said:

Everyone is so helpful, but all of these changes are very stressful.

That's why CC exists. I feel we are family and are here to help one another. This is stressful but being educated by the fine folks here makes it easier. We will get through this.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

For those that ordered and received the emed tests, did the shipment require a signature, and if so, did it need to be the addressee?  I'm willing to buy the six pack to get ahead of the rush of orders, but traveling and won't be home for another ten days (then have four days before leaving for cruise...).

thanks

1 minute ago, DandDM said:

For those that ordered and received the emed tests, did the shipment require a signature, and if so, did it need to be the addressee?  I'm willing to buy the six pack to get ahead of the rush of orders, but traveling and won't be home for another ten days (then have four days before leaving for cruise...).

thanks

It did not require a signature, but they are temperature sensitive so someone should be there to receive them. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

The biggest concern would be for children under 12 where they now require a PCR test as the only option.  If you have children, I think your only option is to cancel the cruise because the chance of getting a PCR test back in 3 days is no better than a coin flip.  

Wouldn't a viable option for kids under 12 flying in to use (and unfortunately pay the price) the rapid PCR tests offered at some airports? For the Miami airport they say the rapid PCR test has results in 1 hour and the normal PCR test has them in 24 hours. Seems like a good option to me

2 minutes ago, willtr03 said:

Wouldn't a viable option for kids under 12 flying in to use (and unfortunately pay the price) the rapid PCR tests offered at some airports? For the Miami airport they say the rapid PCR test has results in 1 hour and the normal PCR test has them in 24 hours. Seems like a good option to me

I didn't know that rapid PCR tests are available, I thought they were antigen, but you are correct.   Some people have reported that the testing sites were not open when they were at the airport.  But the bottom line, if this were my family, I wouldn't bring my unvaccinated child on a cruise ship anyway, test or no test.

• Like 5

--Yay. Royal took my suggestion that they need to send out home tests to everyone. It should be free, and they could have subtly increased fares to cover the costs, and free tests and goodwill would have decreased refunds and drawn in passengers from other lines. If the cost of ordering through Royal isn't subsidized, you can recoup the cost by cutting down onboard purchases, either by going with a private excursion or skipping drinks or specialty dining. Make them pay for it in the end. 

--Boo. They still won't offer port testing as an emergency backup, despite testing already in place for kids. I just saw a video of checkin testing in Seattle, a few kids in a room that could hold 100 at least.

The problem I see now is a huge run on Abbott tests and emed, especially with the post above mentioning plant labor/supplies shortages. There are articles from earlier in the summer telling of 2-hour wait times to get a test monitor, because they were swamped by Delta and international travelers, so I can see something similar happening the two days before weekend cruises. 

--Sad. Have pity on the poor TAs who are going to spend their days waiting on hold with cruise lines trying to get refunds for their clients. Mine was completely frazzled and dispirited when I got my cruise refunded, so I feel sorry for them, after a completely dead year and then optimism about return to cruising turning to this madness and uncertainty and anger. 

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I got mine through eMed at $150 for 6. I'd say Royal is charging more.

You also paid extra for shipping.  Optum has free next day shipping built into the price of the two pack.  But if you need six test kits, you can save a little by buying the 6-pack from eMed.