Costa Maya- Mahahual

bobbismith

There is large complex at the port that some people never leave, there are ruins you can visit, there are beaches and beach bars, some snorkeling. There is a Mayan theme park close by. Actually quite a bit to do, but you won't have the blue water of Grand Cayman or stingray city.

Once you leave the port area (and we run through quickly as it is a tourist trap), there are taxis for rent, and you can rent all kinds of interesting vehicles.

There are several popular all inclusive resorts that are reasonable in price, serve good food, have beaches and are worth looking into. Many provide transportation that is included in their all day fee.

It depends on many factors, but this coastline has an issue with sometimes dense sea weed aka sargassum. That clouds the water. But, there are times when you have clear, lovely water. No, it is not the Caribbean but still has great features. We have been there likely 15 times since the area was developed by the Mexican government. Do not let negative posts influence you. Research the area and look for opportunities to see the area. I hope you enjoy your visit and wish we were going too!

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 10:33 PM, bobbismith said:

Hello all,

Since Carnival has replaced Cayman Island with Costa Maya I would like to ask with is the favorite sites to see and beaches to visit.  Has anyone been to Mahahual? What did you do there?

Thanks,  Bobbi

You have no doubt seen the other posts about Maya Chan.  Go there, relax, let David take care of everything.  Been there twice and have a cruise booked on MSC that lists Grand Cayman for a port; crossing my fingers that they replace it with Costa Maya just so we can go to Maya Chan again.

13 hours ago, Speasda said:

You have no doubt seen the other posts about Maya Chan.  Go there, relax, let David take care of everything.  Been there twice and have a cruise booked on MSC that lists Grand Cayman for a port; crossing my fingers that they replace it with Costa Maya just so we can go to Maya Chan again.

Not sure if Maya Chan is yet to open.   But Google and check their web site.  You do need reservations.

5 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Not sure if Maya Chan is yet to open.   But Google and check their web site.  You do need reservations.

49 minutes ago, Speasda said:

Already confirmed they are ready and waiting!

They were supposed to reopen this week barring any more unexpected hiccups.

I am sure we will see reports shortly.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

I did not want to recommend any one resort as you were looking at all options. DH and I have been to Maya Chan 10 times? We had a funny ceremony with David for our 5th visit. 

Time goes by and all I can say is that we have never gone anywhere 10+ times. Read all you can and it is all good. Make reservations as due to Covid, they are reducing their daily numbers. You can enter "Maya Chan" in a search engine or any other resort and read what they provide.

We will hopefully return in February. 

Enjoy Costa Maya! 

• 1 month later...

We love going to the Nacional Beach Club in Costa Maya. We always book the VIP pass. It's more expensive nowadays, but we feel it's worth it. It's $135pp booked directly through the hotel. It was about $85pp 2 years ago, so I am sure covid is the culprit.  It's about a 5 minute drive from the dock.

They have a bar with the swing seats, small pool, you get a 20 minute massage on the beach included,  it's all you can eat, including lobster, all you can drink, including top shelf liquor. They have nice loungers, umbrellas, tables, etc. They even have these giant beds with a canopy you can get.

The beach area has hammocks in the water and a break in the reef, should you want to go snorkeling/swimming out a bit further.

The staff is extremely friendly and quick to respond to any request. They don't bat an eye when you ask for 3 orders of lobster either. You ask for it, you get it. 

You will have a few vendors go by, but all of them move quickly as the hotels along there seem to have made it clear to them not to linger. I think in the 5 hours we were there, maybe 4 or 5 vendors walked by us. A simple "No thanks!" was all it took for them to take it on the arches. 

We're going to be there in February 2022 and this will be our last stop and our favorite out of all of them.

DSC00691.JPG

• Like 1

Whatever you do, DON’T stay at the welcome center. When Costa Maya first opened, this welcome center was a relaxing place. But it has kept growing and growing, and they’ve shoved more and more shops and tourist trap type of attractions. 

I do recommend heading to the village of Mahahual which isn’t far away and will provide a much mor authentic experience (and at much lower prices). If you wish to take an excursion and have never been to Mayan ruins, Chachobben is a short drive from the port. 

Enjoy! 

• Like 1

We were just diverted from Cozumel to Costa Maya on Serenade of the Seas. Agree about exiting the cruise line controlled area as soon as you get there. It used to be an easy exit when Costa Maya first opened, but you have to really seek the exit out now as it is pretty hidden and makes you walk much further than in the past. 

We grab a taxi past the security gate and always go to Mahahual. Lots of bars on the beach there with cheap drinks. 

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

coaster>>>   Off topic:  Just curious if the Serenade of the Seas would be a ship you'd do on a round the world cruise?

I truthfully think she is too big to do that cruise. A smaller ship would of been a better choice. Think they are going to have to tender a lot. I would get tired being around a couple of thousand people that many days. I would pay the difference and go on a smaller ship that the luxury lines use.

We visited in 2016  through Steve at Tropicante Beach Club...Great time, but I read he is no longer in charge so don't know how it is now.  Blue Kay and Jaime's Beach Clubs also come to mind.  Not sure about this trip.

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2021 at 8:05 PM, Loucat said:

Once you leave the port area (and we run through quickly as it is a tourist trap), there are taxis for rent, and you can rent all kinds of interesting vehicles.

There are several popular all inclusive resorts that are reasonable in price, serve good food, have beaches and are worth looking into. Many provide transportation that is included in their all day fee.

It depends on many factors, but this coastline has an issue with sometimes dense sea weed aka sargassum. That clouds the water. But, there are times when you have clear, lovely water. No, it is not the Caribbean but still has great features. We have been there likely 15 times since the area was developed by the Mexican government. Do not let negative posts influence you. Research the area and look for opportunities to see the area. I hope you enjoy your visit and wish we were going too!

WE will be going to costa maya for first time in feb. we want a beach (all inclusive would be nice but not necessary.) but our main concern is to not have vendors bothering us every 5 minutes and to have a bathroom and feel safe. 

39 minutes ago, melonhead said:

WE will be going to costa maya for first time in feb. we want a beach (all inclusive would be nice but not necessary.) but our main concern is to not have vendors bothering us every 5 minutes and to have a bathroom and feel safe. 

We have found either end of the malecon to be quieter than the middle (especially the southern) and have enjoyed Malecon21 pre-covid.

To completely avoid vendors you will have to travel away from the malecon - Maya Chan, Maya Luna, Almaplena, Hayhu and then it comes down to how comfortable you are with travel.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 10:13 PM, Loucat said:

I did not want to recommend any one resort as you were looking at all options. DH and I have been to Maya Chan 10 times? We had a funny ceremony with David for our 5th visit. 

Time goes by and all I can say is that we have never gone anywhere 10+ times. Read all you can and it is all good. Make reservations as due to Covid, they are reducing their daily numbers. You can enter "Maya Chan" in a search engine or any other resort and read what they provide.

We will hopefully return in February. 

Enjoy Costa Maya! 

Wow!  Based on all the wonderful posts about Maya Chan Beach Club I think we will change from our ship tour going to La Chilangaloense Beach Club.  We will be there in mid February!  Thanks for all the great tips friends!!!

• Like 1