Regent at Christmas/New Years

Mudhen

Although we're Regent veterans, we've never done a holiday cruise before. Is there anything special that goes on during the holiday season? Anything special that we should be aware of? I realize that things may have (or will be) changed due to covid, but any heads up, would be appreciated! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

Although we're Regent veterans, we've never done a holiday cruise before. Is there anything special that goes on during the holiday season? Anything special that we should be aware of? I realize that things may have (or will be) changed due to covid, but any heads up, would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Linda!  Thanks a lot for starting this thread and asking this question.  Mary and I have been wondering the same thing ourselves.  We've never been on Regent during a holiday cruise, but we're (hopefully) going to be on the Mariner holiday cruise this Dec/Jan through the Panama Canal and are really looking forward to it.  We're hoping there might be some "special" Christmas/New Years events/dinners/buffets/shows planned....And maybe "Santa" making an appearance, as well.

I'm hoping my suitcase is big enough to pack a medium-sized tree and decorations to set up inside our suite!  😜

Best Regards to you and John.

Many times on Regent over the holidays. The lobby, bars and other areas will be decorated beautifully.

Huge tree, electric trains, ginger bread house, festive decor. Music is both secular and religious. Special menus . Then for New Years eve , a well attended party with dancing and costumes. Party gifts in the

dining rooms. Regent has done a great job for optimum holiday spirit in the past, but who knows what

covid will bring this year. We will be there on Explorer.

• Like 1

My wife and I were on the Voyager a couple of years back and arrived aboard just after Christmas and stayed through New Years.    The ship was FULLY decked out with Christmas decorations throughout.  A day of so after getting underway the Christmas theme slowly faded and more of the New Years balloons and streamers appeared.  

As I recall, there were a few dinners that had a holiday theme but the spirit was moved primarily  through the decor.

On New Years Eve, the Constellation Theater was the center of the New Years countdown with champagne and canapés being served throughout the night.  The entertainment was our CD and SA Andy and Tammy Heath.  They were wonderful.  And as you would expect, the SS entertainers were in fine dress and encouraging everyone to get involved.    I'm sure Santa was onboard for Christmas but we missed him by a day of so.   

2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi Linda!  Thanks a lot for starting this thread and asking this question.  Mary and I have been wondering the same thing ourselves.  We've never been on Regent during a holiday cruise, but we're (hopefully) going to be on the Mariner holiday cruise this Dec/Jan through the Panama Canal and are really looking forward to it.  We're hoping there might be some "special" Christmas/New Years events/dinners/buffets/shows planned....And maybe "Santa" making an appearance, as well.

I'm hoping my suitcase is big enough to pack a medium-sized tree and decorations to set up inside our suite!  😜

Best Regards to you and John.

So very nice to hear from you!!! You folks were our "bomb cyclone" buds on the Navigator! That was actually our last Regent trip....sigh!

Wishing you and Mary a wonderful canal crossing. We'll miss you!

Pcardad - Thanks very much for the picture!  "Tripperva" & "Daetchief" - Thanks for the additional thoughts and memories, also.  Does anyone else happen to have any pictures or experiences on a Regent "Holiday Cruise"??

Hi "Mudhen"!  Yes - That was quite a "wild ride" we had that night off the New England coast!  "KwajGal" was staying in her suite right down the hall from us!   Mary was holding onto to me so tight (in bed in the middle of the night), I thought we were on a "Honeymoon Cruise"!  That was our last cruise, as well!  So we're now trying to make up for "lost time", with 3 new cruises booked - one on "Mariner" and 2 on "Little Navigator"!  🤪  Best Regards to all!

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

Pcardad - Thanks very much for the picture!  "Tripperva" & "Daetchief" - Thanks for the additional thoughts and memories, also.  Does anyone else happen to have any pictures or experiences on a Regent "Holiday Cruise"??

Hi "Mudhen"!  Yes - That was quite a "wild ride" we had that night off the New England coast!  "KwajGal" was staying in her suite right down the hall from us!   Mary was holding onto to me so tight (in bed in the middle of the night), I thought we were on a "Honeymoon Cruise"!  That was our last cruise, as well!  So we're now trying to make up for "lost time", with 3 new cruises booked - one on "Mariner" and 2 on "Little Navigator"!  🤪  Best Regards to all!

We, as well, are trying to make up for lost time with a hodge podge of cruises in '22. the most significant being on the Splendor in Nov.! We have dear friends joining us on that one! 

Wishing you fair seas and following winds on your up coming adventures!

Linda and John

Here's touch of Christmas on Voyager.   This is just one of Dozens strategically placed aboard the ship.  

23 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

Many more children on holiday cruises.

This one instance is just about the only time I've seen children becoming a burden: I can still laugh about it to this day. 

We were reserved for 7:00 in Prime 7 for our New Years Day Dinner. Jorge was the Maître'd and he was beside himself with remorse.   A large multi-generational family of about 20-25 had been granted an 'exception'  reservation at Prime-7.  They filled up 1/3 of the restaurant.  They were supposed to arrive early to allow the kitchen to absorb the spike but didn't arrive until almost 7:00. 

Long-story-short; It wasn't the delay being seated or between courses, it wasn't the loud talking, laughing and shuffling about between tables that was disturbing; it was the three 'toddlers' crawling around the restaurant pushing toy cars and the like - often right beside our table or under our feet.   The 'Grown-ups' couldn't have cared less.   Jorge was mortified - but kept his 'Regent Smile' throughout the evening.   

What ever happened to the lecture we received when we were kids: "You're going to a Grown-up place.   Don't talk unless you're spoken to.  Stay in your seat unless I give you permission to move.   Don't ask to move!"  😃

IMG_6293.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mariner, December 2015

fullsizeoutput_5df.thumb.jpeg.8c30a35e829e7bdd258c6b9f982cf283.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5e1.thumb.jpeg.696c5e8619ebc30bee1b39d89201cfcd.jpeg

Explorer, December 2018

fullsizeoutput_5d4.thumb.jpeg.da816a6ad418bd6887ea9ed962bcbb53.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5ca.thumb.jpeg.3cf3cb786ad07be832a25006be380743.jpeg

New Year's Eve is always a good party on Regent ships 🙂

We hope to spend the Holiday season on a Regent ship this year 🤞 ............... but who knows how things will pan out ..........

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

"........New Year's Eve is always a good party on Regent ships 🙂

We hope to spend the Holiday season on a Regent ship this year 🤞 ............... but who knows how things will pan out ..........

Hi Flossie!  Thanks a lot for all the great holiday pictures!  We're keeping our fingers crossed that you'll be joining us in Miami for the Mariner Holiday Canal cruise!!  Best Regards.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi Flossie!  Thanks a lot for all the great holiday pictures!  We're keeping our fingers crossed that you'll be joining us in Miami for the Mariner Holiday Canal cruise!!  Best Regards.

Or.....the Explorer Caribbean number is lovely as well......(giggle!). Still some availability!

We are fortunate we are on a grand cruise next year that spans from Halloween until after new year celebrations, and was wondering what to expect and should we pack anything like a diner suit and for Marion a posh frock (I’m assuming New Year’s Eve is dress up smart at least) we are from the UK so traditions are probably different. Haven’t got a clue what to expect on thanksgiving. Any hints especially on things to pack would be appreciated, we were considering takin a small gift for Christmas for the butler and cabin staff just as a thank you for looking after us for 67 nights but wasn’t sure if that’s allowed. Any photos, hints suggestions etc would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, charltonkerry said:

We are fortunate we are on a grand cruise next year that spans from Halloween until after new year celebrations, and was wondering what to expect and should we pack anything like a diner suit and for Marion a posh frock (I’m assuming New Year’s Eve is dress up smart at least) we are from the UK so traditions are probably different. Haven’t got a clue what to expect on thanksgiving. Any hints especially on things to pack would be appreciated, we were considering takin a small gift for Christmas for the butler and cabin staff just as a thank you for looking after us for 67 nights but wasn’t sure if that’s allowed. Any photos, hints suggestions etc would be appreciated.

You may gift them anything, including cash. They are supposed to report and share any gift over $20 but it is not a common practice, nor should it be.

8 hours ago, charltonkerry said:

I think part of the fun of a Christmas cruise could be doing a little simple gifting to cabin staff and any other "significants". I'm at a loss for ideas that would work for both male and female. I'm not talking about anything substantial, just a little package to open on Christmas. Any ideas would be appreciated!

13 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I think part of the fun of a Christmas cruise could be doing a little simple gifting to cabin staff and any other "significants". I'm at a loss for ideas that would work for both male and female. I'm not talking about anything substantial, just a little package to open on Christmas. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Cash or snack food are big items. I also bring a lot of USB flash drives with movies and music and hand those out.

• Like 1

I have very fond memories of our New Years cruise on Explorer through the Panama canal. We boarded a few days after Christmas and loved the decorations. Amazingly, in the afternoon of New Year's Eve, the green and red disappeared and were replaced with beautiful black and silver decorations! Dinner in CR was festive with Regent-supplied party hats, masks (the gala kind), and noise makers. Lots of passengers singing and toasting. Immediately after dinner, music and dancing began in the Atrium area with the Production Cast all in attendance. A WOW event - our best New Years party, ever.

Thanks everyone for your tips, looking forward to it even if it is over a year away. We were thinking of something along the lines of a photo frame, hand cream or a little Knick knack from the UK, but at least we have plenty time to think of something.

Edited by charltonkerry

Reading this thread made me sad - we were booked on the Voyager Cape Town - Rio for the 21/22 Holiday Season with a pre trip to Chobe and Vic Fall - all cancelled now.  As retired and no kids/family per see we thought this would be the perfect trip.  So sad.  Looked at it for 2022 but it is saying in 2023 where we hope to be on the start of a world cruise.

39 minutes ago, klkaylor78 said:

Reading this thread made me sad - we were booked on the Voyager Cape Town - Rio for the 21/22 Holiday Season with a pre trip to Chobe and Vic Fall - all cancelled now.  As retired and no kids/family per see we thought this would be the perfect trip.  So sad.  Looked at it for 2022 but it is saying in 2023 where we hope to be on the start of a world cruise.

Check out "our" Christmas/New Year's cruise on the Explorer. At this second in time, there's still some availability in mid range cabins, if you're interested.....