Updated, Sept 7th, Princess Covid Tests Required thru Dec 31st...

LACruiser88

5 hours ago, uspearls said:

I've had two recent Covid tests at Kaiser in San Diego, both early morning and both times they came back that night, even though they stated 48 hours.  So pretty typical Kaiser, as they've always been very speedy with test results.  Hope the same for you!

Do you mind me asking which San Diego Kaiser location you got tested?  I got tested at Kaiser Zion about 3 weeks ago and it took almost 48 hours for the results to come back!  It wasn't that busy the morning I went, and I wasn't expecting it to take so long.  That experience makes me nervous using Kaiser for an upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

We'll still try to get tested Thanksgiving Day but that's a real long shot.  For our 11/27 cruise travelling on the 25th and 26th makes this the most likely option,

UPDATED: Will you offer COVID-19 testing near the terminal before my cruise?

We strongly recommend all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we are working to set up mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established; please check back on this page). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

In accordance with CDC protocols, guests who test positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside, and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

On 9/8/2021 at 3:22 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I may be incorrect (and sure someone will let me know), but I understood that you could cash out your Future Cruise Credits (FCC) for exchange as cash returned to you for initial cruise price.  You would not be refunded the FCC bonus (10%-100%).  

That is also my understanding.  It should be interesting as it has been shuffled a few times, and split between new bookings.  I now seem to be short credit after the most recently canceled cruise.  I’m not in the mood to confront this at the moment, though!

7 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You can. Our TA told us it is possible to do this. 

I was one of the people on a ship when the world came to a halt in March 2020.  After months and months of waiting we were given very fair compensation for losing half of our 111 day World Cruise.  The FCC I have would be considered "bonus" And I believe not convertible to cash.

2 hours ago, eclue said:

Less time for one to be in contact with the virus seems logical to me.

Reasonable, but your words or the CDC's?  We just returned from a 9 night cruise to the ABCs.  About 1,200 pax and around 700 crew.  There were 6 positives - 3 pax and 3 crew.  2 pax were sent home, 1 was quarantined.  Never heard what happened to the crew - keelhauled maybe.  It just strikes me that there haven't been that many positives since the 3 day test period started.  The media would be going nuts if there had been.  So since we're supposed to follow the science shouldn't the CDC be able to show numbers justifying the change?   I'll do some digging over the weekend.  🙂 

2 minutes ago, foodcruiser said:

Question about the eMed package. Can the 6 tests be split between me and my wife or do I have order two packages?  Do we have to set up a login for each of us?

The 6 can be split up to 3 ways,  you  will just add both of your names and DOB when ordering.

12 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I was one of the people on a ship when the world came to a halt in March 2020.  After months and months of waiting we were given very fair compensation for losing half of our 111 day World Cruise.  The FCC I have would be considered "bonus" And I believe not convertible to cash.

That hurts. But, you are correct. The "bonus" FCC can't be cashed out. That was a sweetener that they offered for US to allow THEM to hang onto our $$ for a year++.

16 hours ago, United_11 said:

Do you mind me asking which San Diego Kaiser location you got tested?  I got tested at Kaiser Zion about 3 weeks ago and it took almost 48 hours for the results to come back!  It wasn't that busy the morning I went, and I wasn't expecting it to take so long.  That experience makes me nervous using Kaiser for an upcoming cruise.

Huh - Zion also, both times!  I will add that each time I logged in to view my test results, which were available a good few hours before I received the automated notification email.  But I don't think there was a 1 or more day lag between my logging in and getting the email. I hear you - no sense taking a chance or worrying.  We're sailing 2 weeks tomorrow so I'm scheduling CVS tests for 2 weeks from today as a backup for Kaiser, which we'll book for 2 days prior to cruising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foodcruiser said:

Question about the eMed package. Can the 6 tests be split between me and my wife or do I have order two packages?  Do we have to set up a login for each of us?

Yes, you can split those six tests among you and your wife (you could actually split them among six people if you needed to). You and your wife should each download the Navica app and each set up your own accounts. When you're actually ready to do the test, you use the app to connect directly with the proctor who will administer (watch you) take the test. I'm going to be ordering the six pack for my family of four, and we will each have our own Navica accounts.

12 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

Reasonable, but your words or the CDC's?  We just returned from a 9 night cruise to the ABCs.  About 1,200 pax and around 700 crew.  There were 6 positives - 3 pax and 3 crew.  2 pax were sent home, 1 was quarantined.  Never heard what happened to the crew - keelhauled maybe.  It just strikes me that there haven't been that many positives since the 3 day test period started.  The media would be going nuts if there had been.  So since we're supposed to follow the science shouldn't the CDC be able to show numbers justifying the change?   I'll do some digging over the weekend.  🙂 

These are MY words and I do have a medical background.

1 hour ago, cltnccruisers said:

OK.  I did call it reasonable.  But you aren't the one dictating the change.  I still don't think there have been enough positives on cruises to warrant the shorter period.

Better to err on the side of safety .....happy cruising and stay safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uspearls said:

Huh - Zion also, both times!  I will add that each time I logged in to view my test results, which were available a good few hours before I received the automated notification email.  But I don't think there was a 1 or more day lag between my logging in and getting the email. I hear you - no sense taking a chance or worrying.  We're sailing 2 weeks tomorrow so I'm scheduling CVS tests for 2 weeks from today as a backup for Kaiser, which we'll book for 2 days prior to cruising.

Yeah, might have just been bad luck on the timing for me.  I'm also looking at other options and have a reminder set to try to schedule a CVS rapid test two weeks before our cruise.  I also ordered the eMed at home tests, so I'm thinking that will be our primary test and the CVS and/or Kaiser would be a backup.  I don't want to run into any chance of not having a negative test result to board!

• Like 1

With the 9/19 implementation date for 2-day testing approaching wonder when Princess will provide details about the paid mobile testing sites near embarkation ports they are working on for passengers who have not received their test results before embarkation.

On 9/9/2021 at 7:21 AM, uspearls said:

I've had two recent Covid tests at Kaiser in San Diego, both early morning and both times they came back that night, even though they stated 48 hours.  So pretty typical Kaiser, as they've always been very speedy with test results.  Hope the same for you!

I’ve had numerous tests at KP before flying back to Maui & before medical procedures & all results were received within about 24 hours. Those were in the LA area & many tests were on weekends but the KP Chino Hills processing lab has quickly provided our negative test results. Hopefully that will continue for the required pre-cruise test which I expect to continue. 🤞

If not will research a Plan B when our cruise gets closer for a pharmacy rapid test or Plan C if their mobile testing partner is available near embarkation ports for paid tests. If all else fails then it’s Plan D & we’ll drive home & use the 100% FCC for another of our booked cruises.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

With the 9/19 implementation date for 2-day testing approaching wonder when Princess will provide details about the paid mobile testing sites near embarkation ports they are working on for passengers who have not received their test results before embarkation.

All my 2021 and 2022 cruises are out of Fort Lauderdale.  I have been checking the Princess FAQ on their Cruise Health page for current info on the mobile testing sites they mentioned would be set up at the terminal area..  Happened to see   the  Carnival's Return to Service FAQs listed in a thread on the Carnival Board.  It says it comes from Carnival Corporation which one would think would also include Princess cruises.  Read down to the last paragraph which is highlighted.  Also, as far as Quest testing, locations around my home and those by Lakeland, FL all say the tests are for "Active Infection Only"  

Where can I get a COVID-19 test?

In order to provide more testing options for our guests, Carnival is sharing these resources:

• Carnival Corporation has established an agreement with Quest Diagnostics to facilitate access to pre-cruise COVID-19 viral testing. Guests may schedule testing with Quest Diagnostics at more than 1,500 locations, including Quest Diagnostics patient service centers and select Walmart and other retail pharmacy locations throughout the U.S. Appointments are required and may be scheduled online via Quest Diagnostic's website Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window.. Results are typically available within 48 hours via email or mobile application but Quest advises that turnaround time can fluctuate with demand, supplies and other factors, and vary by region. As with any laboratory provider, pricing for COVID-19 testing services may vary. Guests may qualify for testing at no cost to them through their insurance or the government. We urge guests to check with their health plan or the laboratory provider to see if they are eligible before scheduling a test. Guests may visit Quest Diagnostic's website Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. for information.
  • Fully vaccinated guests may also consider using an Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. which includes a viral antigen home test and the services of an eMed Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. telemedicine professional who will supervise the administration of the home test. The test provider must provide guests with an official test result; no handwritten report. Results are provided in approximately 15 minutes and test kits are available to be shipped in 50 states. Tests can be purchased by accessing either of the links above.
  • Additionally, guests may also look into large pharmacy chains that have multiple locations to schedule a COVID PCR or antigen test near their home or embarkation port of their cruise. For example, CVS Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. and Walgreens Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. have nationwide locations offering COVID-19 testing.

While we had previously raised the possibility of more on-site testing at our terminals, the logistics of making this service widely available to a large number of guests does not make this a viable option. Nevertheless, we did want to provide these additional suggestions for our guests.

Edited by coo359a2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coo359a2 said:

While we had previously raised the possibility of more on-site testing at our terminals, the logistics of making this service widely available to a large number of guests does not make this a viable option. Nevertheless, we did want to provide these additional suggestions for our guests.

If used as intended as a back up plan it would work but if people intended to use it as their only testing plan that is where it would cause issues.  Perhaps I need to open a Covid testing site close to the ports 🙂 

On 9/8/2021 at 8:28 PM, Jadn13 said:

Here are the options for at home monitored testing

i bought the 6 pack this week and it does expire 1/5/22 so I wouldn’t  purchase them too far out (the dates will change as time passes, these are just the batches that are currently shipping latest expiration date I have seen for those being shipped now is early february)

binaxnow ag card test (Royal  Caribbean is recommending this brand to passengers so it definitely meets all the requirements)!

image.thumb.png.59f722f34d28ff1fd02bb8ce78c83274.png

They come in different packs 2,3,6

https://www.emed.com

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

Ellume is also an option

https://www.azova.com/testing/ellume/delta/

*Tests need to have monitoring and be approved by the FDA for emergency use, both of the options above meet those requirements. 

That is helpful, thanks.  May be easier than hunting around for a test.

However, the at home tests are supposed to be sold at cost to us starting in a week or two?  Also, 10,000 

Pharmacies are supposed to have covid tests for free soon, so maybe that will make it a little easier for travelers too.

Depends on when you’re traveling.