Question re: Abbott Binaxnow testing?

julia

3 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

That was not my lot number. Just a generic number that was written on the informational card as an example.

All of mine were 140709.

Abbott Letterhead (emed.com)

Lot #                                       Original Expire                      Extended Expireemed.png.662df4997113ade0d94d78a2f28b8b71.png

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 6:17 PM, PigsCanFly said:

We bought a 6 pack from emed and used the first three on Sept 24th for our Royal cruise on the 26th.  We 3 each had a wait of less than 1 minute and had results in less than 30 minutes.  The results appeared in our email and our navica apps.  We plan to use the other three for our Nov 6th cruise.  

Our local non-chain pharmacy sells 2 packs of this test for $26.  They have a 2022 expiry date, so they are a newer batch.  We plan on buying them locally for our December cruises.

Hi was hoping you could share the name of the pharmacy. We are in Webster & going on a cruise in December. 

• Like 1

Re all the discussion about the expiration date, on the two tests I've done at CVS, I will say that the expiration date has been printed on the final results page that we show the reps when checking in.  However, in my experience twice now (two different checkins), they do seem to focus on two things--the date the test was taken and the Negative test result.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

Re all the discussion about the expiration date, on the two tests I've done at CVS, I will say that the expiration date has been printed on the final results page that we show the reps when checking in.  However, in my experience twice now (two different checkins), they do seem to focus on two things--the date the test was taken and the Negative test result.

From a prior post, please read.

n 10/10/2021 at 5:17 PM, PigsCanFly said:

Our local non-chain pharmacy sells 2 packs of this test for $26.  They have a 2022 expiry date, so they are a newer batch.  We plan on buying them locally for our December cruises.

No, No No

The Local tests that you buy in the store are NOT proctored and are NOT accepted by cruise or air travel.

The "accepted tests are the Abbott BINAX HOME Test (Not the Abbott BINAX SELF Test). The Home Test also have a clear warning to NOT open the package until instructed to do so.

Only the tests purchased from eMed (currently sold out) , or Optum (2 & 3 pack) are Proctored and accepted.

You can certainly use the locally purchased Self test to validate you own condition, but there is no medically certified report provided (unless things have changed in the last several months).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, farawaygal said:

Does anyone know if we buy 2 test kits in my husband's name can I use one of the test kits with a proctor through eMed?

People do it all the time - there is no connection between the purchaser, and the user. Each person needs their own account on the NAVICA app - else you are good to go.

All that being said - I would HIGHLY recommend you spend the extra dollars and get a 3 pack. Things can happen to the test kit (Mashed in the mail), fluid container can be out of fluid, or teh testing process; test stuff drop to the floor or out of sight of the proctor, error in the process by yourself, or the Proctor and the test is invalidated.

Really, really good to have a spare.

Just and aside: As eMed only sells 6 pack (and they are currently still out of stock) you will actually purchase from Optum (Link to them from eMed site.)

eMed supplies the proctors for the test.

Just an FYI for others - I did my at home proctored test today and had a lot of problems with video connectivity issues.  Not sure if anyone else experienced that.  While the video connection testing was labeled "success" and I started the proctor session with the video going, it kept cutting out pretty quickly into the session (usually when showing photo id).  I tried the lap top, a tablet, on several different times and it keep happening.  It was very frustrating.  These are devices that I regularly use for video conferencing so not sure what the problem was.  I did "grant" permission for video access to eMed.  Anyway, I had to finally use my smart phone and did it that way. 

I would have preferred to just make an appointment somewhere and have someone else do it.  

On 10/27/2021 at 8:42 PM, skypig said:

Hi was hoping you could share the name of the pharmacy. We are in Webster & going on a cruise in December. 

As others pointed out to me, these tests at Honeoye Falls Pharmacy are nor monitored tests and would not be valid for cruising.  I just ordered some from Optum for our Dec 1st cruise.

3 hours ago, PigsCanFly said:

As others pointed out to me, these tests at Honeoye Falls Pharmacy are nor monitored tests and would not be valid for cruising.  I just ordered some from Optum for our Dec 1st cruise.

Thanks yes I asked the question before I finished reading the whole thread…lol 

Jere Adefemi (Optum)

Oct 27, 2021, 2:55 PM PDT

?name=Optum+Banner+-+Freshdesk+copy.jpg
Hi Mr. F

Thank you for contacting the Optum Store concerning expiration date of your COVID-19 test kits. 

On April 6, 2021 the FDA extended the shelf life of the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card test kit. This means the expiry date you see printed on your test kits has been extended an additional three (3) months. For example, a test kit with an expiration date of 2021-10-03 (October 3, 2021) will now expire 2022-01-03 (January 3, 2022). 

Per the Optum Store website COVID kits may expire as soon as December 21, 2021 with the 3-month extension. At this time we are unable to request COVID test kits with a specific expiration date. The kits you received have not expired and therefore this order is non-refundable.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email us at support@store.optum.com, you can also give us a call at (855) 946-4463 Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. CST and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00am - 6:00pm CST.

Thank you, 

Optum Store Team

FDA Expiration Date Extension Letter

On 10/29/2021 at 7:11 AM, RGEDad said:

People do it all the time - there is no connection between the purchaser, and the user. Each person needs their own account on the NAVICA app - else you are good to go.

All that being said - I would HIGHLY recommend you spend the extra dollars and get a 3 pack. Things can happen to the test kit (Mashed in the mail), fluid container can be out of fluid, or teh testing process; test stuff drop to the floor or out of sight of the proctor, error in the process by yourself, or the Proctor and the test is invalidated.

Really, really good to have a spare.

Just and aside: As eMed only sells 6 pack (and they are currently still out of stock) you will actually purchase from Optum (Link to them from eMed site.)

eMed supplies the proctors for the test.

Thank you for this information and suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a 3-pack from Optum so that I had a back-up in case I couldn't get a test done locally or results were delayed.  I opened the box and got sent 4 packs.  BONUS!!

Edited by Euby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Euby said:

I ordered a 3-pack from Optum so that I had a back-up in case I couldn't get a test done locally or results were delayed.  I opened the box and got sent 4 packs.  BONUS!!

If you don't mind looking, what is the expiration date on these recent kits?  I am hoping to get some that will also cover my March cruise.

1 hour ago, HALrunner said:

The 6 pack I just ordered from Emed (sister site of Optum) expire Feb 19, 2022

===

Is Feb 19 the printed expiration date or the calculated three month from expiration date?

May be too much to ask but a pic is worth a thousand words.

Thanks again.

Peter

12 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

===

Is Feb 19 the printed expiration date or the calculated three month from expiration date?

May be too much to ask but a pic is worth a thousand words.

Thanks again.

Peter

I'm glad you asked! I guessed the hourglass figure was the expiration date and then added three months, but let me know what you think. (see photo below)

0F3AEDCA-7CE4-4519-8C18-00C9CB3902FA_1_105_c.jpeg

1 hour ago, HALrunner said:

I'm glad you asked! I guessed the hourglass figure was the expiration date and then added three months, but let me know what you think. (see photo below)

=====

yes.  you are right on the "money".  

Thanks so much.

Peter

Edited by SFO PETER

On 11/16/2021 at 8:15 AM, Euby said:

I ordered 4 and got 6!

• Like 1

We used the emed Binax proctored test via the Navica app recommended by United Airlines to get us back from France to the US last week. I'm assuming it is probably the same format for cruises. It worked like a charm from our airbnb in Paris and our negative results were downloaded complete with time stamped QR code right into our Navica app for United to scan as well as being emailed to us.

We had to download the Navica app and set up an account before leaving the US but otherwise we had no wait time and the proctors were clear and instructions easy. Dh had his account on his phone and I had mine and dd (4) on mine as minors can share an account with a parent.

I had already done a non-proctored Binax at home test prior to our trip so I would know what to expect. The proctored test was so much easier than I had thought to be honest. 

At some point, the rest kits being shipped will be labeled with the twelve month expiry date from the manufacturer .

The approval letter from the FDA for the twelve month expiry date was dated April 6, 2021.

Kits packaged shortly after that date will not have the three month extension as the package label is correct.

8 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

[snip] ...and our negative results were downloaded complete with time stamped QR code right into our Navica app for United to scan as well as being emailed to us.

We had to download the Navica app and set up an account before leaving the US but otherwise we had no wait time and the proctors were clear and instructions easy. Dh had his account on his phone and I had mine and dd (4) on mine as minors can share an account with a parent.

[snip]

Does each adult need to own a smartphone to store the result? My wife doesn't have one.

For people doing the test for the first time: Log into the Emed site if you bought the kits thru Emed. You will log into the Navica app thru there-otherwise, you get bounced out. Know where the camera is on your device and how to use it as you must show the proctor the bar code of your test kit. These two steps will make the process much faster!